• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Andrew Walker to sign with the Reds

W

Wally

Guest
He's keen on a return I think. I think it would be very interesting to see how he would go after two years without properly picking up a footy. He probably won't cost the Reds much and I'm sure it'd bring a lot of publicity.

The ARU has declined the Reds a top-up for star Canberra Raider's fullback Clinton S. He's three times the player that Cross could ever hope to be but yet we get no assistance in chasing his signature.
 
S

sanzar

Guest
Originally posted by Wally@Jun 22 2006, 11:58 AM
The ARU has declined the Reds a top-up for star Canberra Raider's fullback Clinton S. He's three times the player that Cross could ever hope to be but yet we get no assistance in chasing his signature.
Come off it Wally, take off your Queenslander hat for 2 seconds and have a think about it though. Ryan Cross is still just 26 years old and has always been a good centre. Furthermore, he was actually an Australian schoolboy representative along with George Smith, so he knows his rugby pretty well and within a couple seasons he may make the Wallabies squad as a back up centre (he'd have to work hard to make the starting line up though). But what does Schikofske have to offer at 30 years of age apart from his goal kicking? Not much unfortunately... Eddie wants to play him on the wing, and I seriously doubt he'd have ANY chance of making a Wallaby wing spot next year (even on the bench), by which time he'll be 32 at the time of the RWC. And that's the point, while you may think Schikofske is way better than Cross (and I think you're wrong there because Cross has been an absolute try scoring machine for us at times), the fact is Cross has time to get better, whereas Schikofske will be retiring in the next couple seasons... It's the same as why the ARU didn't agree to top up Andrew Johns contract for the NSWRU, and Johns was a genuine wallaby prospect.
 
W

Wally

Guest
They didn't help us with Tonga either might I add. Just admit the ARU does as best it can to ensure Queensland is struggling. Let me just remind you that in the past Australia has only been at its best when the Reds have been at their best.
 
S

sanzar

Guest
Originally posted by Wally@Jun 22 2006, 12:40 PM
They didn't help us with Tonga either might I add. Just admit the ARU does as best it can to ensure Queensland is struggling. Let me just remind you that in the past Australia has only been at its best when the Reds have been at their best.
I don't know if I agree with that... the most successful period in Australia rugby history was characterised by the provincial emergence of the Brumbies as Australia's most successful team. Australia won absolutely everything between 99 and 01 while the Brumbies gained their ascendancey.
As for Tonga, well NSW were after him too for a while and the ARU wouldn't help us either... I think the point with Cross was that he was going to the FORCE, and they want them to be as strong as possible before next season. With any other player the ARU have to believe they are genuine Wallaby material.

But you can blame the ARU all you like Wally, but the fact remains that the QRU is run worse than almost any other Union in the country... they still carry on like it's the amature days! Sailor himself commented on their lack of professionalism being a factor that turned him to NSW. But you've got Eddie in charge of your team there now, and he knows how to get things rolling at that level, so things will get better.
 
W

Wally

Guest
There were more Queenslanders than anyone else in the 1991 and 1999 World Cup winning Wallaby teams. So the only two periods where this has happened in over 100s of Australian rugby history and we win both World Cups. You do the maths. Clearly Queensland rulez.
 
S

sanzar

Guest
Originally posted by Wally@Jun 22 2006, 12:58 PM
There were more Queenslanders than anyone else in the 1991 and 1999 World Cup winning Wallaby teams. So the only two periods where this has happened in over 100s of Australian rugby history and we win both World Cups. You do the maths. Clearly Queensland rulez.
Actually Wally, in the 91 starting line up there were 9 Waratahs, so you're wrong there. You really ought to check these things before you open your mouth :p .
 
W

Wally

Guest
Originally posted by sanzar+Jun 22 2006, 02:00 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Wally
@Jun 22 2006, 12:58 PM
There were more Queenslanders than anyone else in the 1991 and 1999 World Cup winning Wallaby teams. So the only two periods where this has happened in over 100s of Australian rugby history and we win both World Cups. You do the maths. Clearly Queensland rulez.
Actually Wally, in the 91 starting line up there were 9 Waratahs, so you're wrong there. You really ought to check these things before you open your mouth :p . [/b]
And 11 of those Waratahs were actually Queenslanders.
 
S

sanzar

Guest
Originally posted by Wally+Jun 22 2006, 01:02 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 22 2006, 02:00 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Wally
@Jun 22 2006, 12:58 PM
There were more Queenslanders than anyone else in the 1991 and 1999 World Cup winning Wallaby teams. So the only two periods where this has happened in over 100s of Australian rugby history and we win both World Cups. You do the maths. Clearly Queensland rulez.

Actually Wally, in the 91 starting line up there were 9 Waratahs, so you're wrong there. You really ought to check these things before you open your mouth :p .
And 11 of those Waratahs were actually Queenslanders. [/b]
yeah, sorta like your star player Latham is actually a NSWelshman?
 
E

esoj

Guest
johns stayed in league because ch 9 andd the nrl came in with more money than union could offer.
 
S

sanzar

Guest
Originally posted by esoj@Jun 22 2006, 02:18 PM
johns stayed in league because ch 9 andd the nrl came in with more money than union could offer.
That's true, but the ARU wasn't helping NSW get him... they had to organise a bunch of 3rd party deals by themselves to make make it attractive.
 
E

esoj

Guest
yeah fair enough. nsw were left on their own in the end.

and ryan cross will go well in union imo. he has played it before and he has got good pace and he is still young. he may not make the wallabies in time for the world cup next year but I think he might for the following one.

as for walker well the reds are desperate for players after losing so many over the years. walker in top form would be great but getting him to that stage without him doing something stupid would be the hard part.
 
S

sanzar

Guest
Originally posted by esoj@Jun 22 2006, 02:50 PM
as for walker well the reds are desperate for players after losing so many over the years. walker in top form would be great but getting him to that stage without him doing something stupid would be the hard part.
Yeah, it's a bit funny isn't it? Why go after Walker and Schikofske who are both past 30? Why not try and go for players with more time left in their careers? I suppose Tonga was in that category, but he was probably a bit TOO young at 22, and he felt he ought to stay with the Dogs after they had given him his start. Maybe they should chase Hodges? He's matured heaps since his first few seasons at the Broncs and Easts, and is now a great centre, and he has plenty of time left in his career to learn rugby.
 
W

Wally

Guest
Hodges is having too much of a good time in league at the moment to sign with rugby union.

We're not chasing Walker. His management got in touch with the Reds, and we'll only offer him a one year base contract.
 
S

sanzar

Guest
Originally posted by Wally@Jun 24 2006, 12:23 PM
Hodges is having too much of a good time in league at the moment to sign with rugby union.

We're not chasing Walker. His management got in touch with the Reds, and we'll only offer him a one year base contract.
Yeah, though I bet if the reds could offer him the right amount he wouldn't mind going...
 
B

Boy

Guest
From Planet Rugby

Walker going walkabout in France
Tuesday June 27 2006
Former Wallaby due in France next month
Former Australian dual international Andrew Walker is set to join French Second Division side Union Athletique Gaillacoise, after serving a two-year ban for cocaine use, according to the French news agency AFP.


Walker, 32, returned from union to league (the NRL), but then quit after a positive drug test while playing with Manly in 2004.

He is due to arrive in France on July 20 with his wife and four children.

Walker, who played with Super 12 side the Brumbies from 2000 to 2003, had been heavily linked with a return to the code in Australia, with Queensland and former Wallabies coach Eddie Jones having made a play to lure him to the Reds.[/b]
 

Latest posts

Top