TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_47299838_008729695-1.jpg

Blues number eight Andy Powell has been named in a 27-man Wales squad for the game with South Africa in Cardiff on 5 June and the two-Test New Zealand tour.

The 28-year-old was kicked out of the Six Nations squad after admitting driving a golf buggy while drunk.

He is joined in the squad by uncapped Scarlets trio Tavis Knoyle, Ken Owens and Rob McCusker.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/8683634.stm

Wales squad for June Tests:

Blues: Bradley Davies, Leigh Halfpenny, Gethin Jenkins, Deiniol Jones, Andy Powell, Richie Rees, Jamie Roberts, Sam Warburton, John Yapp.

Ospreys: Huw Bennett, Dan Biggar, Andrew Bishop, Lee Byrne, Paul James, Adam Jones, Alun Wyn Jones, Ryan Jones, Mike Phillips, Tom Prydie, Jonathan Thomas, Shane Williams.

Scarlets: Jonathan Davies, Stephen Jones, Tavis Knoyle, Rob McCusker, Ken Owens, Matthew Rees.

Standby list (to train with the squad in the UK and cover injuries for the New Zealand tour):

Blues: Chris Czekaj, Rhys Thomas.

Ospreys: Ian Gough, Craig Mitchell.

Scarlets: Martin Roberts.

Dragons: Will Harries, Gavin Thomas, Jason Tovey.

Wales squad for Autumn Tests

Wales squad for June Tests:
Blues: Bradley Davies, Leigh Halfpenny, Gethin Jenkins, Deiniol Jones, Andy Powell, Richie Rees, Jamie Roberts, Sam Warburton, John Yapp.
Ospreys: Huw Bennett, Dan Biggar, Andrew Bishop, Lee Byrne, Paul James, Adam Jones, Alun Wyn Jones, Ryan Jones, Mike Phillips, Tom Prydie, Jonathan Thomas, Shane Williams.
Scarlets: Jonathan Davies, Stephen Jones, Tavis Knoyle, Rob McCusker, Ken Owens, Matthew Rees.

Standby list (to train with the squad in the UK and cover injuries for the New Zealand tour):
Blues: Chris Czekaj, Rhys Thomas.
Ospreys: Ian Gough, Craig Mitchell.
Scarlets: Martin Roberts.
Dragons: Will Harries, Gavin Thomas, Jason Tovey.

No Dragons are going to New Zealand- A bit harsh. Wayne Evans can't even make the standby list, despite being the form Scrum-Half for much of the season. I feel all three of the Dragons on the stand-by list should be going to NZ, but then you can't win them all.

Three uncapped players, in the form of Rob McCusker, Tavis Knoyle and Ken Owens, although McCusker and Owens have been involved in the squad before, just not played. Andy Powell returns after his ban, as does John Yapp following injury. Tom Prydie keeps his place, while Rhys Gill, Eifron Lewis-Roberts, Kristian Philips and Ian Gough amongst others drop out of the squad.

Last edited:
Half happy and half disapointed with this squad. No Dragons players going is rediculous. Tovey is probably the second/third best fly half and second best fullback in Wales, yet is overlooked again. Harries has been on fire, although he has just burst onto the scene, so he's got time to force his way in to the squad in the future. I'm not too fussed about Gavin Thomas, has had a good season, but has never really stepped up for Wales. Wayne Evans should feel very agrieved, with Knoyle picked ahead of him.

On the plus side, Owens is in at last, rejoyce!!!! Also very happy to see McCusker there, he's got bags of potential. Knoyle is also a great young prospect, and although I'd have preferred Wayne Evans, Knoyle looks the part already.

Bit of a pity that Gill drops out, considering he was sitting on the bench for much of the 6 nations, yet never got a cap. However Gatland knows exactly how that feels. Eifion Roberts still needs to work on fitness imo. No matter what people say, he's not in the physical condition that should be expected from a professional player. Would have preferred Gustaffson in there ahead of Yapp though. Both can't particularily scrummage, but Gustaffson is a beast in open play with some subtle skills, whearas Yapp is just a beast.

Overall, it's a cecent mixture of experience and potential. You can't please everyone, although this is going to further alienate the Dragons, Gatland should be concerened about doing that, before he turns an entire group of players of the International game!!!!!!!

Half happy and half disapointed with this squad. No Dragons players going is rediculous. Tovey is probably the second/third best fly half and second best fullback in Wales, yet is overlooked again. Harries has been on fire, although he has just burst onto the scene, so he's got time to force his way in to the squad in the future. I'm not too fussed about Gavin Thomas, has had a good season, but has never really stepped up for Wales. Wayne Evans should feel very agrieved, with Knoyle picked ahead of him.

On the plus side, Owens is in at last, rejoyce!!!! Also very happy to see McCusker there, he's got bags of potential. Knoyle is also a great young prospect, and although I'd have preferred Wayne Evans, Knoyle looks the part already.

Bit of a pity that Gill drops out, considering he was sitting on the bench for much of the 6 nations, yet never got a cap. However Gatland knows exactly how that feels. Eifion Roberts still needs to work on fitness imo. No matter what people say, he's not in the physical condition that should be expected from a professional player. Would have preferred Gustaffson in there ahead of Yapp though. Both can't particularily scrummage, but Gustaffson is a beast in open play with some subtle skills, whearas Yapp is just a beast.

Overall, it's a cecent mixture of experience and potential. You can't please everyone, although this is going to further alienate the Dragons, Gatland should be concerened about doing that, before he turns an entire group of players of the International game!!!!!!!

Gill came on for 3 minutes against Ireland. Lewis-Roberts is probaly out because there's a weight restriction on the plane.

Glad Owens is in, although I don't see why they don't just bring the extra 8 to New Zealand. It's surely not that expensive to book a few extra seats? Glad McCusker is in, just because it gives hope to those who think they can't make it because there hasn't been a hype train surrounding them, and on top of that it gives Gatland and co. time to craft him into a great No. 6 by the World Cup. Knoyle shouldn't be in. Evans is playing much better than him.

I still think Harries should start against SA, as the 8 extras will be avalible to play in that test but not the other two (See? Pointless.), and with poentially 3 youngsters gunning for the 14 shirt, we could bring out the best in all of them. Plus he's more experienced than Prydie, even if he isn't capped. Why Tovey isn't in the full team, I don't know.

But then, I supose, there's no real suprise with much of this- The first team is still pretty damned strong, and could certainly give a second-string Springbok side a beating and New Zealand a run for their money. Who will play at 6 against SA, if Powell won't be fit? JT or McCusker? Decissons, dessicons...

Disappointed that Wayne Evans and Tovey fail to make the main cut. If he did not take Prydie then 1. Where would he gain the experience from for international games? and 2. What would have been the point for Gatland for selecting him against Italy and just leaving him at home. The best thing for him is to go on tour.

If you also notice the entire squad is Wales based. Possibly showing why Gatland has failed to select the likes of Gill and Eifion Lewis-Roberts. Plus Gill is playing in the GP Final so thats also a possible factor. For me Gatland has got the squad wrong and you can start to sense the unrest that is starting to form in the media. He is beginning to get under people's noses, his attitude towards Gareth Delve showed why Delve chose career over International career. The probably rumours that Gatland fell out with Peel is probably true. And the fact that Gatland may show loyalty by sticking with McBryde but as a forward expert Gatland should know that the Welsh pack is not functioning in particular with lineouts. So why does Huw Bennett make it in front of Rhys Thomas who has improved his throwing and is just as physical as Bennett. I am starting to get impatient with Gatland all the hype he brought when he won the Grand Slam has since faded and I do feel his time is running out and I dont see him being with Wales after the next RWC.

Lads Wales had to bring back Powell,

He is vital for squad morale, is a uuseful player and some character.

Gatland is now starting to **** me off, we are gonna get hammered in NZ, absolutely smashed! Welsh public think we're way better than we are.

Gatland is frustrating me by picking 'potential' in a 27 man squad.

If i was Wayne Evans, Tovey, i weren't be very happy.

Andy Powell was always going to come back for team morale, hes a big strong block, tackles his heart out, need someone like that in NZ. Just shame the pens will come from it. Now Xaviers going, he can show us what he can do, hes got the potential, just needs to show it and not be so hot and cold

I thought Halfpenny wasn't going?

Halfpenny is due a shoulder op, he needs a reduction of cartilage I think - very common injury but he's been playing with it all season. Im a bit confused on why he's going at all.

As for Knoyles, I've not even heard of him until now. Wayne Evans will be very upset, as although I still think Wayne wouldn't be anywhere near the top 3 scrum halves in Wales at the moment, hes got way more experience than this young fella!

There are some old heads in the squad, but I though the point of this tour was to actually challenge the All Blacks, and get our best team used to the intensity? The last thing we want is to come home after some heavy defeats...

Rumour has it that Halfpenny was named so that he can play against SA, but then won't go to NZ

Latest posts