• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Anglo-Celtic Cup?

R

redunderthebed

Not sure if this is the right forum.......oh well.

I personally think there should be instead of EDF cup a competition between the Guinness Premiership and Magners League.

It would be far more competitive i think and better than the EDF cup where the odds are stacked against welsh teams winning.

Not sure if this is the right forum.......oh well.

I personally think there should be instead of EDF cup a competition between the Guinness Premiership and Magners League.

It would be far more competitive i think and better than the EDF cup where the odds are stacked against welsh teams winning.
[/b]

The odds aren't that stacked against the Welsh. Yes they are outnumbered, but most English sides don't take it too seriously untill the final pool round if they have a chance of making the semis.

Including the Magners sides may seem like a good idea, but there would be too much overlap with the HEC. (i.e. every side minus the french).

So that would be the HEC minus the French and the Italians? I don't see that working out at all. How about scrapping the EDF altogehter?

I can't see this working if it's proposed to be played during international weekends.

So that would be the HEC minus the French and the Italians? I don't see that working out at all. How about scrapping the EDF altogehter? [/b]

Welcome to the mindset held by the majority of English fans for the last 3 years. Most of us want our old FA Cup style competition back, but will we get it? I'm guessing not any time soon.

would be a stupid idea, yes a Celtic Cup would be welcome, but to include English sides is going to close to the HC

well the Celtic Cup was a flop so I doubt they'd go back to that, besides since the league has been the sole deciding factor we've not been lacking for excitement in the Magners League when it comes to the business end of the season.

The celtic cup was only a flop because, like Purgatory, nobody paid any attention to it because of the fixation the Welsh and Irish have with the HEC.

<div class='quotemain'> So that would be the HEC minus the French and the Italians? I don't see that working out at all. How about scrapping the EDF altogehter? [/b]

Welcome to the mindset held by the majority of English fans for the last 3 years. Most of us want our old FA Cup style competition back, but will we get it? I'm guessing not any time soon.
[/b][/quote]

Problem is, most fans wanted away with the old knockout as the clubs didnt' take it seriously enough.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> So that would be the HEC minus the French and the Italians? I don't see that working out at all. How about scrapping the EDF altogehter? [/b]

[/b][/quote]

Problem is, most fans wanted away with the old knockout as the clubs didnt' take it seriously enough.
[/b][/quote]

I think they all took it far more seriously than they do the Anglo-Welsh farce. I remember going to watch Saints in 3 Cup finals, and every time we took thousands upon thousands of supporters and always played a full strength team. The fact I also saw us lose all 3 of those finals is besides the point.

The old cup also used to throw up some classic matches between the professionals and part-timers of lower leagues. I remember Saints having to topple a plucky Orrell side 55-44 (or something similar), and I'm sure Birmingham fans still remember their victory over Wasps.

Basically, the competition had far more appeal surrounding it for fans than the system currently in place.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> So that would be the HEC minus the French and the Italians? I don't see that working out at all. How about scrapping the EDF altogehter? [/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I think they all took it far more seriously than they do the Anglo-Welsh farce. I remember going to watch Saints in 3 Cup finals, and every time we took thousands upon thousands of supporters and always played a full strength team. The fact I also saw us lose all 3 of those finals is besides the point.

The old cup also used to throw up some classic matches between the professionals and part-timers of lower leagues. I remember Saints having to topple a plucky Orrell side 55-44 (or something similar), and I'm sure Birmingham fans still remember their victory over Wasps.

Basically, the competition had far more appeal surrounding it for fans than the system currently in place.
[/b][/quote]

Agree. the finals used to be abig deal, as did the semis, but it was still seen as a lesser competition (more of the carling cup than the FA to use a soccer analogy). The lower league matches were special: didn't pertemp bees beat wasps one year.

This could also add to the ND1 sides to experience premiership rugby. This year it would have been great to see Saints involved against Premiership sides, but more than that it could be a great way of bringing on strength in the ND1.

Not to be though. At least with the new cup we get to see fresh Welsh agony every year.

Latest posts