LeinsterMan (NotTigsMan)

G.O.A.T
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leicester
As in ***le.

Welsh cups having there own U23's competition.

But Prem clubs looking to make a Anglo only comp because they have already sold season tickets with having 2 home AWC in mind.

Personally I think we should have a Prem U23 comp of our own maybe include the champ teams with academies setups so
Irish
Nottingham
Doncaster
Ealing
Bedford
L.Scottish
Jersey
Yorkshire

Are the Welsh trying to stop every other country to stop developing players because they can't? First the B&I and now this.

Provinces should jump in. Call it the Bros Cup.

Hopefully does lead the way to a proper development comp in England

Anglo Welsh was weird, Some sides were adamant it was a kiddies comp, Some sides took it seriously because it had a very large cash prize.

Hopefully does lead the way to a proper development comp in England

Anglo Welsh was weird, Some sides were adamant it was a kiddies comp, Some sides took it seriously because it had a very large cash prize.

Did you see the tweet from Sale saying letting Mulipola have a kick at goal was disrespectful lol.

On AWC it needed proper rules of selection either
1. U23
or
2. Not been involved in the senior squad in say the last 5 games.

Our social media has been gash all season.
Our old guy got poached by PRL and it seems like they just gave the reigns to a work experience kid after he left

Good.

The mish-mash of competitions English teams play in is retarded. You would never design it to work that way.

If there has to be a third competition outside of the Premiership and Euros, it should explicitly be a development competiton; with rules that enforce it's use as one.
Mandatory 90% u23's or something along those lines. If that's not workable, scrap it and force clubs to send players they aren't using into the Championship.

The WRU are hard to fathom sometimes, they are so fickle. I presume it may be a sign that the Pro14 development league is more than a pipe dream.

Its probably not a bad idea to let the English clubs focus on their Arthur Gallagher League and an associated development league.

Are the Welsh trying to stop every other country to stop developing players because they can't? First the B&I and now this.

Provinces should jump in. Call it the Bros Cup.

Hey tbf the Scots pulled out of the B&I first, so obvs all their fault...

In all seriousness, the WRU should never have swapped the Welsh Prem Clubs for the "Regional XV" teams they put in. Teams never really gelled all that well, and the Prem sides definitely had more success and from the outrage when they were pulled out, clearly enjoyed/cared about the competition. I was in favour of the switch to start off with, but clearly the idea fell flat on its face so definitely feel they could've kept it afloat.

The WRU are hard to fathom sometimes, they are so fickle. I presume it may be a sign that the Pro14 development league is more than a pipe dream.

Its probably not a bad idea to let the English clubs focus on their Arthur Gallagher League and an associated development league.

Tbf I'm not sure it's been all that much use to the Welsh teams in it's current format, especially in the last season or so. Different teams clearly view it's purpose very differently as there hasn't been any clear definition of whether it's purely for development or not, which definitely seemed to be the focus when they changed things up after the 2008/9 season.

Welsh sides have been throwing out what look like u18s sides as time, vs minimum (sometimes stronger) 2nd string AP sides with bags of top level experience. My guess would be the 2nd string players in the Regions already get a decent amount of gametime in the Pro14, especially considering the massive injury issues the Regions have had this year, so clearly they'd rather blood the very green lads out of the academy rather than risk a player who'll probably have to start a league game due to international call ups/injuries. On the flip side, the AP sides mostly have been using it to start bench/ give not quite first 23 players gametime.

Like you said anyway, hopefully this shows that they are committed to a proper u23's/development league for the Pro 14 next season!

On the English side, I hope they incorporate the top Championship clubs into whatever they decide to do with this Cup competition.

Stupid idea - bring in the Championship teams; 4 pools of 6, Cup, plate and Shield QFs; no players with more than 1500 minutes in the Prem/Europe from the previous season are eligible; replaces the AWC and the B&I both in one fell swoop, returning the Cup closer to what it's supposed to be.

I guess that comes with the downside of promoting the Championship clubs and letting them have a little cash; and that would go completely against the aims of a protection racket.

Stupid idea - bring in the Championship teams; 4 pools of 6, Cup, plate and Shield QFs; no players with more than 1500 minutes in the Prem/Europe from the previous season are eligible; replaces the AWC and the B&I both in one fell swoop, returning the Cup closer to what it's supposed to be.

I guess that comes with the downside of promoting the Championship clubs and letting them have a little cash; and that would go completely against the aims of a protection racket.
Possibly, but gap between Prem and bottom of Champs currently too big.

Would go for top 4 in Champs, little incentive to the better teams, especially when recently one team is dominating.

Keep format same as now, ensuring that as many local derbies are in fixture list.

This would also help with the development of teams in Championship to make a 14-16 team Prem, with no relegation.

It's such a missed opportunity to not be involving teams from the Championship in the new tournament. Fans want to see different teams visiting, not just the same 11 as always in a slightly different format. :rolleyes:

Have always missed the old Tetleys Bitter/Powergen cup for that reason - teams from lower divisions getting the chance to upset a much bigger team. That's the reason people still love the 3rd round of the FA Cup in football. I know that nobody would allow professional clubs v amateur clubs anymore, but there's nothing to stop a Prem/Championship cup competition & if anything it might be the start of bridging the gap between the 2 leagues.

Was never a big fan of the Anglo/Welsh cup, but this new idea seems even more pointless.

It's such a missed opportunity to not be involving teams from the Championship in the new tournament. Fans want to see different teams visiting, not just the same 11 as always in a slightly different format. :rolleyes:

Have always missed the old Tetleys Bitter/Powergen cup for that reason - teams from lower divisions getting the chance to upset a much bigger team. That's the reason people still love the 3rd round of the FA Cup in football. I know that nobody would allow professional clubs v amateur clubs anymore, but there's nothing to stop a Prem/Championship cup competition & if anything it might be the start of bridging the gap between the 2 leagues.

Was never a big fan of the Anglo/Welsh cup, but this new idea seems even more pointless.
Totally agree with the new format. A complete waste of time and will not get more fans through the gates, meaning clubs will still be losing money.

I am getting angry with the idea that more games mean more money. The Premiership should be offering a top quality product that is played on less weekends and inclues all the players not just some of them as they are away on international duty.

I appear to be in a minority here, but I don't see this at all. My impression is that the average "fan" on the terraces (or sadly these days, sat down somewhere) is barely aware that rugby exists outside level one and that it's big names that put bums on seats. Pure speculation of course, but I'd be surprised if the average Premiership attendee could name all the teams in The Championship, let alone tell you anything about them. People here are a poor representation of the rugby watching public we are all interested enough to have sought out a forum on which to discuss the game, therefore are likely to have a greater depth of knowledge and interest.

I think that comparisons to the FA Cup are an unrealistic, lazy romanticisation of the reality of cup rugby. There is much less variance in rugby than there is in soccer and much less depth of quality as you drop through the leagues, for every historic giant killing, there are countless boring, one sided matches. People often like to mention Bees' and conveniently forget what happened in the next round.

Latest posts