• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Another crazy idea...

Like your ideas of the random button sequence to steal the ball. Shorter sequence for good ruckers/stealers and longer sequence for others.

The thing in 05 that anoys me the most is when I make a tackle on the opposition, another player of my team is there first and still the oposition gets the ball (especially on hard).

Looking forward to 06 (even though the rucking system is the same
<

i was thinking about an idea for placing the ball down like a different button for a different try animation like x for a straight put down ^ for a jump put down (to dive over defenders) O for a low dive something like that. u reckon thatll be good?

Originally posted by rugby2ireland@Feb 3 2006, 08:02 AM
I concur with best fullback on his thoughts.
Just to add thoughts:

I don't think rucks should be a dig/pull mechanism like 2001.  I liked that less than the current system.  Everyone one ended up in rucks and when playing against a human defensive turnovers in rucks were few.  That and it took forever to get the ball out.
Let's face it at the international or super 14 type level rucks are over in a few seconds not like the local club where yeah they're contested more and longer.
I rather not have to put in numerous defenders as it just seems unrealistic.

Basically in my opinion rucks break down to:
Quick Ball
Slow Ball
Turnover
Isolated

So on offense rucks should be just simply putting in players to do 2 things.
a. reduce time for defense to steal
b. produce quick ball
Players should reduce time for the steal and speed up quick ball based upon their ruck stats and quickness arriving.  Forwards would reduce time rapidly as opposed to say wingers. If players have reduced steal time to zero in say under 5 seconds then quick ball otherwise slow.

Steal time should only be given about 5 seconds unless no support arrives.
I like the thought of a random sequence of buttons appearing to steal the ball.
Maybe like 5 buttons (this can be X,O,^,L1,R1 or it could just be like (up, down, left, right on the right analog).  I do agree they should be random.
Time to do this should be based on the how player was tackled and arriving ruckers (time and ruck stats).  Any button hit after time elapses would be hands in.

At some points there might not even be chance to steal ball based on number or ability of defender(s) or offensive players there immediately.

The best ball stealers could have 4 or 3 in the sequence or they could have say all Xs.
Being isolated should also result in the sequence being reduced or simplified.
After being isolated for 5 seconds it should be a penalty for not releasing.

Those are just my opinions.  Rucks aren't really about big slugfests there about steal, quick ball, slow ball.
I really like this idea and I think the attacking team could also have a combination of buttons to press to hold onto the ball in certain situations e.g when isolated.

There should be an initial button e.g X which you press to chose the 'hold onto the ball' option which then brings up a combination of buttons. If the attacker fails to tap in the combination in time then he gets pinged. The initial button at least gives the player the chance to decide whether he wants to hold onto the ball or not, as this brings a higher risk of a penalty. He may decide the safer option is to try and put more men into the ruck and keep onto the ball that way. The same idea could be applied to stealing the ball. Also the combinations could be more complex or give you less time the worse your teams rucking stats are, or if there is a back holding onto the ball.

In a way rugby 2005 has the basis of the system there. To an extent it does have a hold onto the ball and steal the ball option i.e the hands in ruck button. As it has been pointed out you can hold onto the ball by pressing the hands in ruck button as you get tackled. If you get the timing wrong you get pinged. Similary obviously the defending team can try and steal the ball with hands in ruck. So the system just needs to be tweaked and given an extra layer of depth using combination buttons as suggested. I think it would work well. i.e do you go for the safer option and just use the men into ruck button which is less effective, or do you take a risk with the steal or hold onto the ball combinations?

Once this system is in place and perfected, EA could add a few more layers of depth such as giving you the option to chose which players go into the ruck to give you the best chance to retain/steal the ball or using the right analogue stick to physically tustle the ball from the opposition!

Also I think Ea should introduce a MANUAL and AUTOMATIC mode so they can appeal to the rugby nuts like ourselves and the casual gamers alike! MANUAL mode would include all the extra options in the ruck and mauls, whereas AUTOMATIC is.... well.. automatic!

I'd be satisfied with an RC style system, at least you have to get players in etc. the rucks aren't pre-determined.

Pretty good flowchart overall............

Only thing missing is a small "random" element.................don't know how many times I've been watching/playing footy and the uncoordinated prop/lock kicks the secured ball through to the opposition side of the ruck.

congratulations, youve just explained how a ruck works.

its a good system, but how would it work? (button combinations and the like)

Latest posts