• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

(Another) Football v's Rugby Video ;)

Hardmen

Cycling
By winning stage 16 of the centenary Tour de France only two weeks after breaking his collar bone in a spectacular crash, Tyler Hamilton has proven beyond all doubt that he is strong, fast and fresh from the fight.

Hamilton has eclipsed Lance Armstrong as cycling's iron man.
Hamilton's refusal to quit the Tour had already made him a shoo-in for many observers' man of the race, but Wednesday's breakaway victory has confirmed his status as cycling's iron man.

In fact, it is not even the first time the 30-year-old American has shown a remarkable disregard for pain.

He came second in the 2002 Giro d'Italia despite breaking his shoulder in the opening week. He gritted his teeth so much he had to have 11 of his teeth recapped after the race.

Football
Terry Butcher's bloodied shirt may have looked gory, and few can doubt Pele's bravery in carrying on after the rough treatment he received in Escape to Victory, but for true lump-in-throat stuff you have to tip your hat to Manchester City goalkeeper Bert Trautman.
The German earned his place in football folklore when he played on for 15 minutes after breaking his neck in the 1956 FA Cup Final against Birmingham.

Cricket
India's Anil Kumble and Australian Rick McCosker are just two players who have played on despite breaking their jaws.

And Colin Cowdrey and Paul Terry have both gone out to bat for England against West Indies with broken arms.

But for true win-at-all-costs ruggedness, the nod must go to Malcolm Marshall.

The Windies paceman not only batted one-handed against England at Headingley in 1984 after breaking his thumb, he also hit a boundary.

And when he was given the ball in England's innings, Marshall produced a match-winning spell that included a caught-and-bowled that did his biffed thumb no favours.

RUGBY
New Zealand second row Colin Meads could almost warrant a section on his own.

His most famous exploit was refusing to come off against Eastern Transvaal in 1970 despite breaking an arm - his own, for once.

But pride of place in the red badge of courage stakes must go to fellow All Black Wayne Shelford.

In 1986, a French pack gave the number eight a most fearsome shoeing that left him with a concussion, a few less teeth and, wait for it, a ripped scrotum.

Unperturbed by the sight of one of his testicles hanging out, Shelford instructed the physio to stitch him up on the side of the pitch so he could play on.

The All Blacks lost but nobody would ever mess with Shelford again.

F1
When Niki Lauda's Ferrari careered off the Nurburgring at the 1976 German GP and burst into flames, there were many watching who wondered if they would ever see Lauda alive again.

They did, but only just. And within six weeks of being given last rites whilst in a coma, the Austrian was back in a car at Monza.

He finished fourth - and ultimately lost the drivers' ***le by a point to James Hunt - but the blood stains on his balaclava told their own story.

actually i think that last post deserves a thread of its own.....

To all you rugby snobs who casual toss around words like "Diveball", "poofball", "kissball" I give you last night's UEFA Cup final.

Two teams going at each other hammer and tongs. Fast, expansive attacking football played with flair, skill, passion & commitment from the 1st minute to the 120th. Blistering noise and intensity from the 10s of thousands of fans. The only bad thing was there had to be a loser. I'd have been perfectly happy for them to share the cup.

Fantastic game.

To all you rugby snobs who casual toss around words like "Diveball", "poofball", "kissball" I give you last night's UEFA Cup final.

Two teams going at each other hammer and tongs. Fast, expansive attacking football played with flair, skill, passion & commitment from the 1st minute to the 120th. Blistering noise and intensity from the 10s of thousands of fans. The only bad thing was there had to be a loser. I'd have been perfectly happy for them to share the cup.

Fantastic game. [/b]

How many penalties were given as a result of divers?

<div class='quotemain'> To all you rugby snobs who casual toss around words like "Diveball", "poofball", "kissball" I give you last night's UEFA Cup final.

Fantastic game. [/b]

[/b][/quote]

As a chap much cleverer than myself once said : "It is better to say nothing and have people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and remove any doubt"

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> To all you rugby snobs who casual toss around words like "Diveball", "poofball", "kissball" I give you last night's UEFA Cup final.

Fantastic game. [/b]

[/b][/quote]

As a chap much cleverer than myself once said : "It is better to say nothing and have people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and remove any doubt"
[/b][/quote]

Fantastic advert for Kissball yesterday, unfortunately I was forced to watch all 120 minutes of the excruciatingly dismal display. It reminded me of one of those pre-season Mickey mouse cups. I'm kidding of course; the Amsterdam tournament has actually had the odd decent game.
All in all, about as entertaining as a dental abscess.

Thank the lord for the Heineken final: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnKT8LFyPiE

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

Fantastic game. [/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Fantastic advert for Kissball yesterday, unfortunately I was forced to watch all 120 minutes of the excruciatingly dismal display. It reminded me of one of those pre-season Mickey mouse cups. I'm kidding of course; the Amsterdam tournament has actually had the odd decent game.
All in all, about as entertaining as a dental abscess.

Thank the lord for the Heineken final
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnKT8LFyPiE
[/b][/quote]

Holla

Latest posts