Another Noob Question

Dai Perk

Bench Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
Scotland
Hello, my friends,

This is my first season watching Premiership and Pro14 rugby. Some of the games this past weekend were a little chilly, and we're starting to see the clouds of breath and body heat swirling about, particularly in scrums. I LOVE that stuff - the atmospherics are really enjoyable to me, having spent the last 20+ years watching the New England Patriots playing deep into the winters...

So my question is, what are the rules regarding weather and pro rugby? If it snows, will they still play? When should I expect to see the weather turning sour? And does anyone else get a bigger thriller watching these guys battle the weather as well as each other?

In the NFL, only lightning or a hurricane can cause them to cancel a game... same for rugby?

Thanks as always, y'all are the best.

Frozen pitches can get a game called off - clubs try and combat this as much as they can but there's usually one or two a season that get postponed. Within reason they'll play in any conditions though
13642.jpg

I think I'm right in saying that more matches get called off due to weather affecting spectators than players.
Frozen pitches and standing water can get matches called off, but usually ones where Shuan Edwards is coach of a side he feels will be better in time for the rematch.
Frozen walkways and spectator access seem to be bigger issues these days.

I think I'm right in saying that more matches get called off due to weather affecting spectators than players.
Frozen pitches and standing water can get matches called off, but usually ones where Shuan Edwards is coach of a side he feels will be better in time for the rematch.
Frozen walkways and spectator access seem to be bigger issues these days.
If there's two for one at dominoes it's even more likely

I love those games, especially since the advent of hi def TV...
My personal favorite:

Attachments

• C0FEF51E-A47F-41A5-A8F3-DB77C3E3C9C1.jpeg
    C0FEF51E-A47F-41A5-A8F3-DB77C3E3C9C1.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 14
I love those games, especially since the advent of hi def TV...
My personal favorite:
The conditions they play American football in are nuts,
Luckily we don't get weather quite as crazy over here, though I do remember connacht playing an away game in Russia in pretty extreme conditions, and their captain's beard freezing solid during the game

The conditions they play American football in are nuts,
Luckily we don't get weather quite as crazy over here, though I do remember connacht playing an away game in Russia in pretty extreme conditions, and their captain's beard freezing solid during the game

Yeh Connacht bench doing an audition to play Charlie's uncles in the Netflix remake of charlie and the chocolate factory.
000b6022-500.jpg

Back in 2000, the Patriots had a home playoff game on a day when the state issued warnings over every network for people to stay indoors. Our local government literally told us not to leave the house, but they played and won. The opposing coach, afterwards, still had a frozen beard during the press conference, and appeared to have just come out of a long coma. Good times. :)

There can be situations where a pitch is playable-(like a artificial one). But the game cannot go ahead because of travel. Frozen pipes. So people cannot go to the toilet. I remember a televised Exeter match i think last season. The fog was so bad in the 1st half i thought that would be abandoned.

Ah yes, frozen pipes could quickly become a pretty messy problem...

Ouch.

Don't beat around the bush, tell us what you really think? Lmao

Latest posts