• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

***ans offer Bird an NRL deal

C

Candyman

Greg Bird has been given one week by the Gold Coast to accept an NRL contract for 2010.

Bird met with ***ans chief executive Michael Searle on Thursday.

Searle outlined the club's offer and the expectations on its players to the former Cronulla star during the meeting.

Bird's American girlfriend, Katie Milligan, was with him as he inspected the ***ans' set-up on the Gold Coast.

It's believed the couple will head to the United States on Friday to be with Milligan's ill father.

The club would not reveal details of the offer put to Bird, who is also considering a reported $500,000 two-year deal to re-sign with French UK Super League club Les Catalans, coached by Australian Kevin Walters.

Bird, who was sacked by Cronulla in January, last week had a conviction for reckless wounding against Milligan quashed.

North Queensland and Brisbane had reportedly been interested in talking to Bird but dropped out earlier this week.

Well What do ya reckon about this one aye!?

I'll be very surprised if he doesn't re-sign with the Catalans.I hope he does anyway, he's a top player and it's great for Super League.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Dec 4 2009, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'll be very surprised if he doesn't re-sign with the Catalans.I hope he does anyway, he's a top player and it's great for Super League.[/b]

I think it was the best thing for him what happen to him in the NRL him going over seas has made a better player out of him! But I know in an interview he still wants to play in the NRL.

He may well do but can any of the NRL clubs match the offer from the Catalans? I am fairly sure they can't. Bird might well look at it from the point of view that he may as well make his money whilst he can. He's been playing loose forward for the Dragons.

Nope! I bet you they won't be able to pay him the same amount of money!! I not sure bout super league but the NRL have salary caps!

So do we but the Catalans don't have rafts of big name players, they have a lot of French players who aren't massive names. They would currently be comfortably able to pay Bird that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Dec 4 2009, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So do we but the Catalans don't have rafts of big name players, they have a lot of French players who aren't massive names. They would currently be comfortably able to pay Bird that.[/b]

Well my opinion is he should stay where is make the money then decide later! As I said he has become a better player since being away!!

Looks like the ***ans will sign him!!

***ans expected to announce Bird signing
AAP - December 7, 2009, 11:05 am

NRL club Gold Coast are expected to announce the signing of former Cronulla star Greg Bird on Monday morning.

The ***ans have released a statement saying they will make a special announcement at Skilled Park at 9.45am (AEDT).

Bird met with Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle late last week and had been considering an offer from the ***ans.

He had also been mulling over a reported $500,000 two-year deal from French-based Super League club Les Catalans.

Brisbane coach Ivan Henjak told AAP he had also been keen to speak to Bird.

I'm surprised by that to be honest but they do say there's no place like home.

He's officially signed on anyway, fair play to him for choosing what he wants over money.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Dec 8 2009, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (melon @ Dec 7 2009, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Dec 8 2009, 01:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's officially signed on anyway, fair play to him for choosing what he wants over money.[/b]
That would be better competition.

[/b][/quote]

I will almost guarantee it isn't.
[/b][/quote]

Do ya reckon? I've heard a number of people from both NH and SH say NRL is a better comp.

I think the NRL is boring.

Don't get me wrong, Super League was awful last season due to the slowed down play of the ball, but the NRL is as dull as ditchwater.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Dec 9 2009, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think the NRL is boring.

Don't get me wrong, Super League was awful last season due to the slowed down play of the ball, but the NRL is as dull as ditchwater.[/b]

The only thing I have against Super league is they over analyse the game with stats etc during the game.

Latest posts