• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Any Idea Why Josh Lewsey REALLY Retired?

S

sandman36

Who can honestly say Lewsey needs to concentrate on his club career?
Hes played brilliantly for a long time and he captured the man of the match award a few weeks back
Any thoughts?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sandman36 @ Feb 1 2009, 01:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Who can honestly say Lewsey needs to concentrate on his club career?
Hes played brilliantly for a long time and he captured the man of the match award a few weeks back
Any thoughts?[/b]

Lewsey's time in an England shirt was numbered ever since the emergence of young, english back-line
talent. If Josh had continued playing for England, it would have only been for another year or two - he
would not have made it to the 2011 Rugby World Cup, so what was the point playing for his nation?
I honestly think he would rather play in one more Lion's Tour then retire completely from the game.

In my opinion Lewsey has a better chance of making the Lion's party by playing well Wasps, than for
England. He would only play five games max for England during the Six Nations, were he can play week in
week out for Wasps and show that he is consistant and can perform.

I guess thats fair enough
But i mean he still has his pace, agility and his tackling is hard too. i also would have though Johnson would have persuaded him to play a few more games due to the fact that they were both in our RWC 2003 winning team But hey i guess its better having him play JUST club rugby than nothing :p

I don't think because they were both in the 2003 winning team means Johnson would try and get him to play a few more years. Martin Johnson doesn't seem
like that type to me. More like perform for England or bugger off back to your club.

He's still a good player but there are younger more exciting players than him coming through, perhaps he has done the honourable thing and decided he didn't want to be in their way.

Ahh that makes sense :p Yup hes still an amazing player
lol and he went to my school :)
Picture memorial thing in the main hall :) of him when he scored that try in the world cup against the french :D

I don't know why he retired, but it is a shame as it has taken a talented, and hard hitting back, from England, who could provide a physical prescence, and skill, whoich is a combination few other English backs have.

Maybe quit while you are ahead. Look at how other RWC 2003 heroes have faired.. i would doubt that Wilkinson would make 2011 at this rate. When you hit the heights, it's a long way down and for some it's best to go out on a high rather than fade into obscurity because of the hype.

Hes been playing badly for about the last 3 seasons.He`s lacking in any confidence due to numerous defensive errors. He`s been rightfully dropped from the England team so if he is not in he will throw his toys out of the pram and say "Im not playing anymore". (desite the fact that no-one esle still wants him to play)

It sounded to me (from a distance) as if Johnson didnt rate him as highly as he rated himself.

When Johnson started experimenting with other players (Lewsey was incapable of catching a high ball for Wasps at the time if I recall correctly) he seemed to get the message that Johnson was looking to the future and didnt think Lewsey would be in the picture.

I dont think full back is a problem position for the English. Dont see why you'd care if he retired or not. Not a bad player, but nothing special.