• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Any Other Rugby Coaches Out There?

O

O'Rothlain

Hey! Just wanted to get some conversation going about Coaching Rugby. I've been doing it for about a year now and love it. Next weekend I'm getting certified by USA Rugby at a 2 day clinic. I'm sure it's not going to be anything revolutionary. Has anyone else gone through certification with their respective home unions? If so, I just want to see what your experience was like so I can compare and contrast USA Rugby with the world.

Hello,

I'm a portuguese coach. I coach a U16 team. In Portugal a Level 1 coach need a three weekends clinic to get the degree.

Best regards

Luis Canongia Costa

Hey! Just wanted to get some conversation going about Coaching Rugby. I've been doing it for about a year now and love it. Next weekend I'm getting certified by USA Rugby at a 2 day clinic. I'm sure it's not going to be anything revolutionary. Has anyone else gone through certification with their respective home unions? If so, I just want to see what your experience was like so I can compare and contrast USA Rugby with the world.
[/b]

living in the states now and was thinking of doing a coachin course.Not much rugby in Brooklyn tho!

living in the states now and was thinking of doing a coachin course.Not much rugby in Brooklyn tho! [/b]
http://brooklynrugby.com/
If you don't join up now and play, I'm going to call you a lot of things, including but not limited to the word "pussie."
:D
2371468775_197cf49927.jpg

at least you can play...I don't know about coaching, however. Maybe they need some help. Most US Clubs do. Or try reffing. There is a national shortage of Rugby Refs.

I hope thats not what I think it is coming out of his pants... [/b]
I didn't even notice that his "harrypeters" was popin' out. Nice eye there, mate.

Yeah I coach an Under 13 team.

I have been coaching for a few years this age group and I am still learning....my problem is that I want to do flash stuff all the time....whenI need to realise that kids at this age are still struggling to get to grips with the game.

I coach the Under 14 team at my club. They're currently undefeated atm and should take the silverware this year.

I'm looking to coach U/13's next year, would you guys be able to give me any advice on what to expect?

In Portugal, for now, the certification isn't need. We don't have enough certificated coaches to all needs. I've a french coaching diploma, but a oldie (20 years ago). I will start the portuguese certification in a few months (level 1, 2, 3) . Probably I could get level 2 automatic, but we always can learn something, and enjoy nice rugby weekends.

I havent yet, but I can do a course thru the local RU.
[/b]

I'm looking to coach U/13's next year, would you guys be able to give me any advice on what to expect? [/b]

Well I am having a terrible season coaching Under13's so I would not be the best person to give advice about 13 year olds.

I am a RFU level 2 coach. I currently coach only mini rugby but I had a season coaching at National 3 south level as forwards coach the season after I retired. unfortunatly I had to give it up due to work commitments but now I love coaching my son in the minis. U13 coaching is different in the fact that you are dealing with teenagers and some of them dont give a toss for serious coaching. You have to make it fun but get rid of any kids who are there just to distract others and you will have a better team ethos going forward.
Coaching at mini level is probably the hardest of the lot as you are starting with 6-7 year olds who know nothing but the satisfaction you get when they carry out what you have been training for is superb.

<div class='quotemain'> I'm looking to coach U/13's next year, would you guys be able to give me any advice on what to expect? [/b]

Well I am having a terrible season coaching Under13's so I would not be the best person to give advice about 13 year olds.
[/b][/quote]

Geez, comeon GG! You can give yourself a rap, the kids sound like they love you! That's one of the hardest things to instill in the kids, having been that age not long ago, I always do better under a more likeable coach.

hey guess what, I'm 13!

What I enjoy is a bit of a game at the end of training. Whether its against another team in our age group or just split the team up and play a game. Oh wait i'm playing U/14 this year just realised :p . Yeah also what Gay-Guy said and don't be a shy person who half says-half whispers to be quiet because then they will probably end up not caring what you say and do whatever they want.

Hi,

I coach at my local team and I have to agree about the minis. Fitness is my livlihood but I coach the kids for free cos I love it. When you finally see the balls passed through 5 pairs fo hands it's a delight. On the professioinal side I coach individuals and teams for fitness, strength and conditioning and speed work. anyone else a fitness coach etc?

Hi all,

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm an experienced rugby coach from Australia and also work as a strength and conditioning coach with athletes from a variety of sports, but especially rugby.

I thoroughly enjoy discussing all aspects of the sport.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Haysie @ Jul 21 2008, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm looking to coach U/13's next year, would you guys be able to give me any advice on what to expect?[/b]

I started off with U13's and have gone on a bit from there. Coaching u13s is great. It's a real good age if you can get them to focus. You get a good blend of raw beginners and those with some experience, but also I think is Australia (unless it changed) U13 is the first time they play 'proper' rugby, boots and all etc

Latest posts