Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Toulon
3909102488_077d5bdd9a.jpg
_67379947_picture5.png
106292-shark-attack.jpg
A-huge-12ft-female-great-white.jpg

That motherfuccker has been haunting my imagination for decades. I'll have some nightmare type dreams where not everything is negative/scary, but I'm walking by a beach and I can feel his presence in the water. He's frightened me so much throughout the years he's become synonymous with anxiety in my subconscious as I dream !
Interestingly, no, it's not Spielberg. I can watch Jaws easily, ppl have it wrong. It's not the human sensationalization of the creature that's made him so frightening, he just is by default. Ppl with arachnophobia or insectophobia didn't have to watch horror movies or even have impressionable experiences with spiders/scorpions or insects, it's just carved into our human DNA, it's surely atavistic (genetic memory from our ancestors). But the human mind is complex, more than we think: there is a great phobia of cockroaches, my mom has it for e.g., and all theories/scientific assessment go in the direction of human individuals being afraid of things because they are inherently harmful and dangerous. Roaches aren't dangerous - tiny spiders aren't harmful whatsoever...

Very impressive beasts those great whites and just another good reason to visit the fairest cape of them all; two hours from town you could be shark cage diving and there are boat rides to view them breach the surface like torpedo's launched from deep to destroy tiny seals. There is little like watching some good old fashioned overkill from a close but safe distance.

I myself fear the much less impressive but much more relevant threat of a hidden spider in my clothes or towel.

Just the once. It's pretty expensive for a local. Didn't get the biggest though sadly, one of 4,5m and one estimated by the crew at just over 4m. They get a lot bigger. Should be on right at the top of every visitor's to do list though;

Shark spotting, in a cage if you can get a spot (book early)
Wine tour with a local (we know who serves good food as well)
Get up Lion's head (the little one next to Table mountain) and jump off with a paraglider to land on Camps bay beach
Surf in Muizenberg (try to avoid becoming shark food)
West coast traditional Cape Malay food on the beach and alongside the locals
If you're here at the right time catch the big rugby schools derby; Paarl Gimnasium vs Paarl Boys high
... actually let me get a new thread going...

4.5 is a good size. It's a myth they exceed 6/6.5m by that much. Anyways, would be very conflicted about doing the cage thing...must have felt AMAZING, no ?

I love Great Whites. Don't want to meet one face-to-face, but they are a fantastic beast. Of course, Jaws scared the life out of me, and since it's based on a true story that happened not that far from where I live in New Jersey back in the early 20th century, I haven't much been a fan of the water since. However, I have great respect for the Great White, and sharks in general. I hate what's happening to the shark populations that are being decimated because of the Asian (esp. the Chinese) lust for shark fin soup, and hope that the world will take notice and move to do something about it before the seas are empty of these predators.

On another note, I did finally watch Sharknado 2 last weekend - what a HOOT! :lol: Good stuff if you're in the mood for a flick that doesn't take itself seriously at all. :)

das

uh yeah Hayden Panetiere and some other bish from Hollywood's already been there to stop the evil dolphin/shark massacre. We've got it settled girl, don't worry..
Well I'm guessing nobody (apart from you two darlings :rolleyes:) on this forum wants to talk great whites eh...what should I do, go to a...shark forum ??...

And yeah based on a true story but that doesn't have value anymore with Hollywood, if the true story is some regular sized white chewed two people a bit coz he had the munchies and then they make it to be a 15 meter 10 ton shark eats 20 people per day and the only way to kill it is by throwing a nuclear warhead at it that's been graced by the Pope in the Vatican with holy water...
"BACED ON A TROO STOREE"...mmm...dooobius.

But I mean, fuuuuukkk, just look at that third pic in the OP !...:mellow:

I'd really suggest going in the water. An experience worth having IMO. The cages are open at the top but will hold out the saarks. They are strong no doubt but the cages are fine. Literally your only worry is keeping all your limbs inside the cage (easier said than done in the current), oh, and not falling overboard. And hoping the cable keeping the cage connected to the boat doesn't snap. Even then, you'd be unlucky to get chewed on even with the tour operators whipping them into a quasi-frenzy.

I didn't know they were endangered? At least in these waters they seem very abundent.

I didn't know they were endangered? At least in these waters they seem very abundent.

When I was in the Cape earlier this year on my Honeymoon, we went to the Waterfront and visited the Aquarium, amongst other places. And they had a whole video presentation there about the Great White Sharks and that they are an endangered species.

About 4 years ago we were in Mosselbay over the December hoidays, and we went on a fishing trip. We were hardly out of the harbour when we saw our first GWS. From that day I promised myself to never swim in Mosselbay.

This just popped up on my newsfeed...

Last edited by a moderator:
Always wonder what It would be like if Megalodons still existed.

People on continents wouldn't know about people on other continents because no one would be stupid enough to invent ships. There would be no surfing or any deep sea explorations unless you were suicidal. Yeah we'd stay right the hell away from the sea with those things around!

mmm...well, I don't feel very good anymore after watchin this.
In these panicky circumstances, the guy actually finds it in himself to gather a "Holy fuk balls" ?!! Oh and I love the "are you okay ???" - yeah I'm alright, I will never sleep again and will pick up chain smoking starting right now, but I'm alright.

People on continents wouldn't know about people on other continents because no one would be stupid enough to invent ships. There would be no surfing or any deep sea explorations unless you were suicidal. Yeah we'd stay right the hell away from the sea with those things around!

I dunno...ppl are stupid (courageous ? unconscious ?) enough to still go surfing and what not in places notorious for the presence of great whites (errr great white SHARKS that is!!!) or other dangerous-to-man species. I bet you'd still see ppl going into the sea so they can make their little wave riding video footage. Of course after shark attack accidents you wouldn't hear about a guy getting his leg bitten off but a family disappearing mysteriously over the weekend in some beach resort..
how ridiculous is it though: a carnivorous shark that dwarfs the creature that had human imagination produce a ***le like "Jaws"...that thing may've been extinct for gazillions of millennia but it really, really existed. It's not even dubious like some dinosaurs' designs I'm sure are bullshhit. This thing, we've got his teeth right in the palms of our hands as explicit testimony.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno...ppl are stupid (courageous ? unconscious ?) enough to still go surfing and what not in places notorious for the presence of great whites (errr great white SHARKS that is!!!) or other dangerous-to-man species. I bet you'd still see ppl going into the sea so they can make their little wave riding video footage. Of course after shark attack accidents you wouldn't hear about a guy getting his leg bitten off but a family disappearing mysteriously over the weekend in some beach resort..
how ridiculous is it though: a carnivorous shark that dwarfs the creature that had human imagination produce a ***le like "Jaws"...that thing may've been extinct for gazillions of millennia but it really, really existed. It's not even dubious like some dinosaurs' designs I'm sure are bullshhit. This thing, we've got his teeth right in the palms of our hands as explicit testimony.

Hahaha I just imagined some punks going out with their GoPros shouting YOLO only to get massacred. I shouldn't laugh at the family bit either but one minute it's all beautiful, sunny, kids are laughing then RAWRR massive monstrosity ruins everything.

It's crazy to think, not just those giant sharks but so many things were gigantic back then. Like those super crocs etc. It was a completely different world. I'd hate to be alive back then, albeit it wouldn't be for long.

yeah I mean remember when the entire Polish government died in a plane crash some years ago ? You could have the same sort of incident with Megalodon. "Oh apologies to the fans, the game's been postponed, the entire Chicago Bulls organization was devoured last night in another sad incident at sea. We need to find another 25 players and coaching staff. We hope you understand and show patience."

Btw, check this out. So fkng hilarious;

Meanwhile, in a parallel universe
ac0d1c2144652c276d285b5816a3cd36.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts