• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Anyone else getting bored by the Tri-Nations?

Tri-Nations Format

• Hell yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No it's boring

• What's this Tri-Nations you're talking about

• Total voters
J

Jethro

Reckon playing each other 6,549 times a season is wearing slightly thin. Would like to see a return to home and away with Los Pumas included if achievable.

Have to admit I couldn't be bothered watching the fourth Kiwi v Aussie test last year as was well and truly over it.

This is the area where the Six Nations trumps its SH counterpart. If the Pumas were to join, it would do the competition a ton of good in terms of entertainment. And, as said a trillion times before, it would benefit the Argentinian team.

sounds like the kiwi wants to cry because his team is getting beat by the springboks and most probably the wallabies in the coming weeks. how could you say there boring the matches are v. exciting to watch.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steynboi @ Aug 12 2009, 12:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
sounds like the kiwi wants to cry because his team is getting beat by the springboks and most probably the wallabies in the coming weeks. how could you say there boring the matches are v. exciting to watch.[/b]

I'm glad you said that because that was my initial reation. Easy to say it's rubbish when you are getting beat. I'll wager a few quid/dollars/whatever that if/when the Kiwis do well, the Tri Nations would be great again.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Aug 12 2009, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steynboi @ Aug 12 2009, 12:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sounds like the kiwi wants to cry because his team is getting beat by the springboks and most probably the wallabies in the coming weeks. how could you say there boring the matches are v. exciting to watch.[/b]

I'm glad you said that because that was my initial reation. Easy to say it's rubbish when you are getting beat. I'll wager a few quid/dollars/whatever that if/when the Kiwis do well, the Tri Nations would be great again.
[/b][/quote]

Actually no. As far as my interest in T3 is, if we keep the Bledisloe then I don't care who wins the T3. Notably the Saffas have played all their home games so I wouldn't be getting overly excited just yet there ;) As the poster above states, yeap got to love a kicking game.

Quite frankly I would be happy to return to full tours with T3 played every four years or so rather than yearly. It used to be the match of the year when the Aussies and Kiwis fronted each other at the Olympic stadium, now it's simply another test match.

T3 is devaluing Oz, Saffa, Kiwi test regardless of who is winning the thing. For mine I wouldn't be discounting the Aussies taking the 2009 ***le.

1. Yes, The Tri-Nations is boring
2. Funny how people don't like a kicking game yet were in favour of the ELVs...

I think down here rugby union is losing its entertainment value. The bledisloe is meant to be showcase for Aus-NZ rugby, though last years games were pretty exciting overall people just aren't as excited as they used to be.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Aug 12 2009, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
This is the area where the Six Nations trumps its SH counterpart. If the Pumas were to join, it would do the competition a ton of good in terms of entertainment. And, as said a trillion times before, it would benefit the Argentinian team.[/b]

I thought it wasn't possible because the European clubs wouldn't let their Pumas go play in an expanded 4N.

Im' sure they'd find a way round it if the structures are put in place. The pumas are a very tight knit team and by all accounts they'd do anything to play for their country. Also I'm pretty sure a 4N would mean that at least one Argentine Super rugby franchise would come into being so that would do alot to solve that issue

kicking is boring.

there should be a rule that you can't immediately return a kick if you recieve a kick, unless you run 10 metres or you are tackled or it's a mark. hopefully this will stop the gay aerial ping pong that's being played at the moment

I don't reckon the rugby itself is boring - rather the format. I think a Tri- Nations cup, where maybe they add the Pumas a Pacific Team (where in which that team has to qualify to participate through their own local tournament) and possibly the Japanese - every 2 years or so.

I think that would be good for rugby as a game, in the long run. Sure, it may be lopsided at first, but as they go on, the quality of rugby should improve over time for the "minnows".

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Aug 12 2009, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think down here rugby union is losing its entertainment value. The bledisloe is meant to be showcase for Aus-NZ rugby, though last years games were pretty exciting overall people just aren't as excited as they used to be.[/b]

Nail head dude :bravo:

Over exposure, we play each other four times each year for christ's sack, is lowering expectation and general excitement about tests between the countries.

Great concept now over it's used by date as the public turns off.

We need to play different teams every year, like the 10 Nations in EA Rugby 2006, where the 10 main Rugby nations play each other in a round robin kind of tourny, not possible but would make for interesting viewing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (InsaneAsylum @ Aug 12 2009, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
kicking is boring.

there should be a rule that you can't immediately return a kick if you recieve a kick, unless you run 10 metres or you are tackled or it's a mark. hopefully this will stop the gay aerial ping pong that's being played at the moment[/b]

This isn't rugby bloody league, you can't just change the rules when you dont like the way teams are playing. It wont always be like this. SA can only play like they do because they have huge forward dominance at the moment. When they lose that, they will have to resort to the backs more. Anyway i reckon it's great that a team like SA can win by kicking and playing a structured game and a team like Australia can also win by playing more expansively.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/codebre...9350638687.html

codebreaker_wideweb__470x336,0.jpg

Codebreaker prepares for action and a more intense approach

August 7, 2009

Champion rugby feats weren't enough to keep this Dragon in the game, writes Andrew Stevenson.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
When Francois Pienaar received the William Webb Ellis Trophy as captain of the South African side that had just won the 1995 Rugby World Cup, the hairs on the backs of a nation stood on end.

Nelson Mandela wore a Springboks jersey with the same No.6 on his back as Pienaar and Jarrod Saffy, an 11-year-old with a passion for rugby, dreamt of wearing the very same into battle.

That was then; now is a foreign country - and a foreign game; one Saffy had never even heard of before his parents migrated to Australia nine years ago.

Now is the St George Illawarra Dragons, a minor premiership all but secured and favourites for the NRL ***le this year. Now is a trip to Penrith tonight to vanquish yet another pretender as the Dragons try to stretch their winning run to seven.

Saffy, whose rugby pedigree was enhanced at St Joseph's College where he helped win two GPS ***les in the First XV and was picked for Australian Schoolboys, has packed up a lot of memories in a box called the past. "I've got great memories of growing up and following the Boks," said Saffy, 24, who has a personal training business and is also studying to be a real estate agent.

"I used to love [rugby] but things have obviously changed a lot. I want different things now."

Holding on to a spot on the bench as competition reaches a frenetic intensity among the would-be Dragons as the finals approach, for one.

"It's coming to the end of the season and we don't have many injuries so there's going to be extreme competition coming into the semis," he said.

Learning more about his adopted code is another. "It's been a significant improvement this year in my own game but obviously I still have such a long way to go: I'm still learning the game," said Saffy, in only his fourth season of league and with only 36 NRL games to his name.

Learning is one thing; Saffy already knows what he likes. "[League is] a more enjoyable game to play and more entertaining to watch; it's more entertaining for the fans," he said. "The more I watch, the more I think union is going down. It's getting harder and harder to watch every year. My Dad [Joe] is the same and I never thought I'd hear the words come out of his mouth. He'd prefer to watch Friday night footy than the Super 14 or Tests which he used to live for."

Watching Saffy's progress with a fond eye is Joeys' deputy headmaster, Brother Anthony Boyd, the man who has tended Australian rugby's finest nursery for nearly two decades.

"He was a boy with an enormous amount of raw ability, basic talent," he observed. "From what I've seen, he's certainly had a great season and obviously the influence of Wayne Bennett has been very helpful."

Interestingly, Brother Anthony, a desperate Eels fan, shares some of Saffy's concerns about rugby.

"As a viewer, I love State of Origin. I watch a league game, but often not the whole way through unless Parramatta are playing. I'm the same with rugby though. I think at times it's over-refereed and there's too many penalties and stoppages. You have a side going forward on attack and all of a sudden it's penalised and I think, 'Let's play football'. I get a bit frustrated with that," he said. "Sometimes I can be watching a Test match and think, 'This is boring' and I'll lose interest in it very quickly."

At Joeys, Saffy sometimes watched rugby league but, he said, "I wasn't really into it, didn't get passionate about it and didn't know which team I followed". After school, he went to Sydney University, studying and playing rugby, made the Australian Sevens side and the Waratahs Academy squad - and wanted more.

"We only trained two mornings a week [in the Academy]. That's all it was - four hours a week of training and one game a year. There wasn't really that much to do," he said.

When Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens came knocking, rugby league was still a strange game. What it offered was the chance to develop as a professional athlete.

"I realised the academy wasn't getting me to where I wanted to be fast enough and that's when I moved across. I decided it would be a two-year experiment for me and if I enjoyed it, I'd stay and if I didn't, I could always come back," Saffy said.

He still could but Saffy - who is signed to Dragons until the end of 2010 - isn't planning on going anywhere except off the bench and into the fray.

"My role is to bring a lot of energy, high impact and high intensity when I come on," he said. And to come off empty, no matter how short the spell.

"Our attitude - and it's the spirit we've got at the club - is starting flat out, going flat out and leaving nothing in the tank. When you're gone, you're gone and you get replaced. We want to go as hard as we can and try and break other teams."

Bend, they inevitably do and the wreckage left in the wake of the Dragons' forward pack this season is proof the mission is inevitably accomplished.[/b]

Shame union lost this talent.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KZNSharksFan @ Aug 12 2009, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (InsaneAsylum @ Aug 12 2009, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
kicking is boring.

there should be a rule that you can't immediately return a kick if you recieve a kick, unless you run 10 metres or you are tackled or it's a mark. hopefully this will stop the gay aerial ping pong that's being played at the moment[/b]

This isn't rugby bloody league, you can't just change the rules when you dont like the way teams are playing. It wont always be like this. SA can only play like they do because they have huge forward dominance at the moment. When they lose that, they will have to resort to the backs more. Anyway i reckon it's great that a team like SA can win by kicking and playing a structured game and a team like Australia can also win by playing more expansively.
[/b][/quote]

i didn't mention south africa, australia or rugby league in my post, and if you think "you can't just change the rules" well think again, they were changed not that long ago. there is way too much up and under kicking going on in today's game. if rugby could go back to what it was in the 1990's and early 2000's then it's a good thing regarldless of which teams were winning or losing. from what i remember there was a lot more quick ball at the rucks, a lot more running rugby and a lot more tries were scored. that's what's average joe in front of the TV at home or watching the game wants to see, not two teams taking it in turns to kick the ball as high as they can while trying to put the opposition off catching the ball cleanly.

So you're aware, it's called professionalism. It's changed the game quite a bit since. Tighter and better organised defences especially.

And changing the laws isn't the answer. It's only when idiots like O'Neil start haring on about "things being unfair" (oddly enough, whenever Australia are knocked out of a World Cup) that law changes come in and bugger the game up - hence the ELVs and aerial ping pong we've been seeing for the past 18 months.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steynboi @ Aug 12 2009, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Huh? Has Australia shown more promise so far then any other team? I don't remember us losing to Australia a couple of weeks ago.

Latest posts