• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Anzac Day

F

feicarsinn

Well i know there was a big thing on rememberance day back in november but i thought australia's involvement in WWI at Gallipoli was so pointless, even more pointless than many of the other nations even it was worth bringing up again

<embed src="http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=GPFjToKuZQM&autoplay=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed>

rats

I wore my poppy to school last year on ANZAC Day in Canada and only one history teacher picked up on it. Everyone else just looked at me funny.

Well i know there was a big thing on rememberance day back in november but i thought australia's involvement in WWI at Gallipoli was so pointless, even more pointless than many of the other nations even it was worth bringing up again[/b]
First off, it's Australia and New Zealand. Secondly the point of ANZAC day from our view is that our brave soldiers fought with tremendous bravery despite the British Admiralty (Thanks Churchill!) sending us on what amounted to a suicide mission. It was a doomed stuggle, which we faced head on and didn't shy away from, yet still keeping our essential mateship that is basically the foundation of both our societies. It was a baptism of fire for both our countries and without Gallipoli I hesitate to think what our nations would be like, as it is essential to the fabric of our nations.

Indeed it is on the 25th.....ill probably celebrate the proper Australian way get ****** at the RSL. :D

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.

Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.

They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,

They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

We will remember them.

Lest we forget. :(

If you want success stories, look at the Palestinian Light Cavalry, Monash, The Rats of Tobruk, Z-Force, the list goes on. Australian servicemen haven't earned a reputation for having their thumbs up their arse, yet that's not the point. Gallipoli is significant because it was the first combined force engagement for ANZAC forces in WWI and one of the first battles to catch the public eye (i.e Murdoch's father was a war correspondent). Being the first major engagement of Australian forces subsequent to federation, it's not surprising that it's honoured regardless of the failure of the whole campaign.

You know the Irish were present at Gallipoli right? (in fact my great-grandfather was wounded in an Irish volunteer regiment). They may not have any celebrated battles like Lone-Pine; in fact their contribution is often remembered for the constant feuding between prods and catholics, yet they were still present. How was their contribution more 'valid' or 'meaningful'? Considering that Australia's contribution was more pointless than other commonwealth nations.

ANZAC day should be a big event in the Commonwealth calendar. Obviously, some Canadian and ANZAC troops had fought for Britain before, most notably in the Boer Wars a decade previously. However, Galipoli is so important because it was the first time that a sizable Anglo Australian and New Zealander force had gone into action. It didn't acheive anythin, but it is the stories of courage, heroism, compassion (and even a game of Cricket) in an environment better described as one "from hell" as one correspondent put it that inspire and register most on the psyche both nationally and internationally. The fact that Turk and ANZAC have now made their peace in what was the most collssal misunderstanding of the 20th century is result of this bloody conflict.

Today we remember the heroes of Afghanistan, who despite not being in NATO and being of small number, have made an immeasurable contribution to the gradual recovery of what is one of the worlds most wartorn nations.

The Irish were present everywhere in both wars. In the Second World War, there was still sizable Irish recruitment because they disagreed with Irish neutrality in the face of totalitarianism or (more likely) because of gauranteed work and pay (especially if they joined the Commandos or Parachute regiment). Rememberance Day remembers all who took the King/Queen's shilling, regardless of colour, religion or nationality.

feicarsinn, I edited your post so it would show what was embedded, since HTML was off. Seems like it's an empty space :p Could be this computer though

Latest posts