• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

ANZC Round 10 - time to turn Tew's grin upside down

J

Jethro

Waikato 33 - 22 North Harbour

Was always going to be Mooloo's game, even with the Duck playing, but they almost blew it looking for the bonus point try. The cowbell brigade were up 16-3 at the half and effectively it was game over, though the Harbour boys coming off a two game winning streak did give it a go mid way through the second half. Waikato alive in terms of the finals, the fat lady has pretty much started up for Harbour. Sorry Mr Tew was this the team you want to be cotton wooled into next year's the comp, the one out of the running with pretty much four rounds left to play?

Been watching hi-lights of the ANZC and wow I must say the quality has been high. A lot of the player that won the Junior World Cup last year are shining. The last few games before the play-offs should be crackers.

A bit of the funny side of the recent ANZC activities:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0e5j3Kcx-Xc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0e5j3Kcx-Xc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Textbook tackle! Love the kiddies' reaction in the background :lol:

Was this one of your exploits Jethro hehe would of been better if you had of dodged that security guard. Must say that was a pretty darn good tackle from him what happened after I can't even remember what game this was.

It doesn't feel like that long ago that the Moloo's were near the bottom of the table, great comeback from them.. but I still can't really see them competing for the ***le at this stage with so many other teams competing for the top four places at the moment.

Really looking forward to Hawke's Bay vs BOP tonight, should be one of the best games of the season. It's a home game for BOP but Hawke's Bay have been probably been playing better than BOP recently, so anything could happen.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Miciosting @ Oct 2 2009, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
does anyone know when piri weepu is due back from injury?[/b]

Sorry no idea :)

Steve-o excellent post mate, loved it ... figure that must have been an Otago home game given the Speights signage in background, lucky the crowd didn't pelt him with empties ;)

Bay of Plenty 19 -22 Hawke's Bay

In the Battle of the Bays the pretend Bay almost pulled off a win due to some fine defense which held the Pies out on a number of occasions, it cracked the once when Dagg crossed kicked for Guildford to score the match winner. Magpies fly-half Matt Berquist was kicking them from around the park which proved to be the difference as both teams pretty much nullified each other. The Bay, that would be the real Bay, were the better team and deserved the win. Huge step toward the semis for the Pies, BOP not out of contention but will need at least 2 from their final three matches.

Counties 17 - 28 Canterbury

The Evil Empire was far from convincing in putting away cellar dwellers Counties in the second of Friday's clashes. The Cantabs blew a heck of a lot of try scoring opportunites in the face of a concerted effort from the Steelers, who unfort couldn't turn possession into points. Still vast improvement over last year's 82-22 scoreline, and further indication that the ANZC in it's present state is coming right. Canterbury failed to get the bonus point but will remain on top of the table regardless of other results this weekend. Only three more rounds for the embattled Counties franchise before no doubt seeking a legal remedy in time for 2010.

Auckland 27 - 13 Southland

The "A" team were behind on the scoreboard 13-12 at the break with neither team really making a concerted effort to fix the mistakes, take their options, and play decent rugby. The Stags looked the more likely team, but Auckland scrum-half Taniela Moa had other ideas scoring a brace of tries and being a proverbal pain in the arse for Southland defenders. Out of interest Southland have only ever won once in Auckland in 124 years. Auckland didn't look intersted in a bonus point Southland showed no signs of a fightback and in fact looked out of wind by the final whistle

Wellington 43 - 15 Manawatu

The Lions roared in the second half after a disappointing first half effort against a flagging Manawatu outfit. Cory Jane once again starred for the Captial city boys and looks set for one hell of an EOYT. Not much to say about this one, Manawatu thoroughly outclassed in the second half and their season looks to be over with way too many injuries to key players. Wellington looks to be hitting their strides at just the right time of the season.

Taranaki 38 - 10 Otago

So once again Mr Tew who's going down, do I hear the "O" word? The Naki destroyed Otago upfront and made a mockery of their lofty status in the NZ rugby firmament, and in the process made a mockery of Tewbacca's insistance that four teams getting demoted, the four not including Otago. Both teams needed a win and Otago didn't look likely. Something is seriously wrong down South with rumours overnight that the Blues have signed two prominent Highlander players.

I have to admit even I was surprised by Taranaki last night. Still, I'm not complaining. They looked good, especially after going down 7-0 early on. I think Ripia is looking better and better as the season goes on.

Northland 16 - 21 Tasman

The Makos bounded into the top four on the back of a hard fought and narrow victory over the Taniwha. Northland turned at the break with the scores locked 13-13 albeit with Andrew Goodman's missing three shots for the visitors, and looked set for victory with the wind at their backs. Tasman dug deep and came away with the points in a gritty display of wet weather football.

Table After Round 10

1. Canterbury 37
2. Hawkes Bay 30
3. Wellington 29
4. Tasman 28

5. Southland 28
6. Bay Of Plenty 26
7. Auckland 26
8. Waikato 26
9. Taranaki 24
10. Otago 18
11. Manawatu 17