• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

ANZC Round 13 - No second chances!

J

Jethro

Five teams in the running for the three remaining spots, the Evil Empire having taken one already, duck for cover!

Canterbury 3 - 9 Southland

For the first time in fifty years, and once again indicating how successful the ANZC is turning out to be, the Stags stormed fortress Christchurch and emerged with the famous ranfurly shield in their kit bags. Even though this makes the Bay's job slightly harder, SOUTHLAND YOU BEAUTIES!!!! The scores were locked 3-3 at the break with the Cantabs looking likely at any stage to run in a try. Southland relied on man up defense and an aerial bombardment of the Canterbury defense, which proved just the ticket in the wet conditions.

Southland become the second team booking themselves a place in the finals leaving four teams fighting over two vacant slots. The Bay can catch the Stags if they pull off a five pointer tonight in Northland, but that pesky who won in the round robin comes into play. Game on tonight with both Wellington and Hawke's Bay needing wins.

Actually thinking about it, if Waikato and the Bay both get bonus point wins and Wellington wins then Southland may not make the finals. Waikato, Hawke's Bay, and Southland would be all on 41 points so it would go to point differences.

Makes for an interesting evening. If the Bay get a five point win they are pretty much in the finals regardless of the Auckland v Waikato result :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Oct 23 2009, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Actually thinking about it, if Waikato and the Bay both get bonus point wins and Wellington wins then Southland may not make the finals. Waikato, Hawke's Bay, and Southland would be all on 41 points so it would go to point differences.

Makes for an interesting evening. If the Bay get a five point win they are pretty much in the finals regardless of the Auckland v Waikato result :)[/b]

Southland are actually guaranteed of a semi-finals spot, as if they Waikato and Hawkes Bay ended up on the same number of points (41) the order of qualification would be determined by the results of the games involving these three unions, and as Southland beat both Waikato and Hawkes Bay they would qualify (in 3rd, with Waikato in 4th). This means Hawkes Bay would not be guaranteed of a spot even with 5 points - if Waikato gets 5 points it would put all three teams on 41 points meaning Hawkes Bay misses out.

I'm getting confused as hell so what happens if Wellington lose? I thought we were sweet for the finals but after taking a look at the points table nothings guaranteed.

Whatever happens it's been a massive season for all teams involved it's pretty sad to think this might be the last weekend that some teams play at the top best wishes to them all thou.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Oct 23 2009, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm getting confused as hell so what happens if Wellington lose? I thought we were sweet for the finals but after taking a look at the points table nothings guaranteed.

Whatever happens it's been a massive season for all teams involved it's pretty sad to think this might be the last weekend that some teams play at the top best wishes to them all thou.[/b]

If Wellington win they are guaranteed a home semi - a draw (or two bonus points) would be enough to guarantee them a semi-final spot. If they lose they could miss out on the semis if Hawkes Bay win. There a heap of different permutations involved, but at least for Wellington their destiny is in their own hands.

Well done, Southland. What a historic day in New Zealand rugby. On 22nd October 2059 they will have reunions and speak so fondly of yesterday day. It will mean so much to them. Too bad a defence is still a season away. That place will go off next season. Southland's only home loss this season was to Manawatu in round 3 so it could be a decent shield tenure.

I hope the semis are: Canterbury vs Southland
Wellington vs Hawkes Bay

I wouldn't be suprised if Northland beat Hawkes Bay tonight. There will be a lot of emotion for the Northland players I'm sure.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darwin_23 @ Oct 23 2009, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Oct 23 2009, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Makes for an interesting evening. If the Bay get a five point win they are pretty much in the finals regardless of the Auckland v Waikato result :)[/b]

Southland are actually guaranteed of a semi-finals spot, as if they Waikato and Hawkes Bay ended up on the same number of points (41) the order of qualification would be determined by the results of the games involving these three unions, and as Southland beat both Waikato and Hawkes Bay they would qualify (in 3rd, with Waikato in 4th). This means Hawkes Bay would not be guaranteed of a spot even with 5 points - if Waikato gets 5 points it would put all three teams on 41 points meaning Hawkes Bay misses out.
[/b][/quote]

Nope, that's not how it works.

If two teams are tied on points it goes to who won their game in the round robin.

If however, more than two teams are tied it goes straight to points differential.

So as it stands, it looks like Canterbury, Wellington, Hawkes Bay and Southland will go through, I'm just not sure of the order yet.

Northland 13 - 32 Hawke's Bay

For the Bay it was mission accomplished in Whangarei with a bonus point win keeping them in the running for a finals berth, that permutation is getting increasingly complex. The Taniwha were a hand full all evening confirming they deserve a place in the top flight but were unable to hold out a committed Magpie unit that scored two tries in each half and simply ground out the desired result. Karl Lowe and Thomas Waldrom had outstanding games for the Bay.

Tasman 14 - 22 Wellington

The Lions booked themselves a home semi final with a gutsy win over a brave Makos outfit. The Makos scored two tries to one but Fa'atonu Fili and Piri Weepu ensured any penalty handled to the Lions resulted in points. Weepu landed two late penalties to ensure the game would end in his team's favour. For Wellington it's a home semi for Tasman it's looking increasingly like court action to survive into 2010.

Finals Calculations

Auckland are now out of the race regardless of the result this evening.

Waikato are still in with a chance but need one hell of a result in the match this evening.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Oct 23 2009, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darwin_23 @ Oct 23 2009, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Oct 23 2009, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Nope, that's not how it works.

If two teams are tied on points it goes to who won their game in the round robin.

If however, more than two teams are tied it goes straight to points differential.

So as it stands, it looks like Canterbury, Wellington, Hawkes Bay and Southland will go through, I'm just not sure of the order yet.
[/b][/quote]

Air New Zealand Cup: (from the New Zealand Rugby Union Competition Regulations Handbook • 2009)

7. In the event that two or more Provincial Unions in the Air New Zealand Cup finish the Round Robin with the same number of competition points the finishing positions of the Provincial Unions will be determined in accordance with the following criteria, which will be applied in the order in which they appear below until the tie is broken:

a. Where three or more Provincial Unions are tied:

i. the tied Provincial Union with the most wins against the other tied Provincial Unions in the Round Robin shall have the higher position.

ii. if three or more Provincial Unions have an equal number of wins against the other tied Provincial Unions, the tied Provincial Union which has the higher points difference in the Round Robin will have the higher position.

Source : http://files.allblacks.com/comms/2009_Dome...Regulations.pdf (it's one massive pdf, see page 69 *snigger* for the relevant rule)

So if Waikato get the five pointer tonight over Auckland, Waikato and Southland would both advance as they both managed to down the Bay in shock results ;) Bugger!!!! Come on Auckland! (no that just feels wrong somehow)....

Actually have no problems if Waikato pull it off this evening as the rules have been laided down prior to the start of the competition, as opposed to the criteria for staying in the ANZC (you just knew I couldn't pass up a chance to have a dig at Tewbacca right).

We should have won by more last night. We controlled that game but just couldn't put them away. It was a bit more nervous then I liked. Anyway, we get to play Southland which is good. They are probably on a bit of a hangover from the Ranfurly Shield and we beat them comfortably earlier this season.

Manawatu 42 - 16 North Harbour

With Tewbacca in attendance the Poo gave the Harbour boys a touch up in the second half and Tew the finger. Actually security had to remove some banners etc as the local crowd made the NZRU aware of exactly what they think in regards the decision to drop four teams. How on earth you can keep Harbour, poor results, poor crowds, poor finances, ahead of Manawatu remains a mystery. Good crowd and great underlining of the point a lot of people are making.

No effect on the finals makeup, moving along ...

Why are North Harbour doing so bad, is it fans turning to league or something. I thought they were a stronghold.

Waikato 18 -26 Auckland

Waikato needed a bonus point win but never looked likely in the face of a dedicated Auckland outfit playing perhaps their best game of the season. Both teams scored two tries the difference being Auckland took advantage of an increasingly desparate Waikato in the last quarter to land some season ending penalties.

Otago 22 - 19 Counties

The least said about this game the better, both teams were diabolically as they played out their respective seasons. How on earth the NZRU can justify retaining Otago in the top division remains a mystery.

Semi Finals

Canterbury v Hawke's Bay

Wellington v Southland

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Oct 24 2009, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Why are North Harbour doing so bad, is it fans turning to league or something. I thought they were a stronghold.[/b]
I don't really know. I don't think the people at North Harbour really get in behind their team. It is also quite a posh area, I think there are lots of sailors around there. That is probably the best answer I can give.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Oct 24 2009, 09:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
We should have won by more last night. We controlled that game but just couldn't put them away. It was a bit more nervous then I liked. Anyway, we get to play Southland which is good. They are probably on a bit of a hangover from the Ranfurly Shield and we beat them comfortably earlier this season.[/b]
Same old story we get ditched by our All Blacks and now face the hangover just like Canterbury hopefully we can sort it out before next weekend because Southland are gonna be hard to beat being the best defensive team this season.

Waikato 18 -26 Auckland

Saw the last 30 of this game - never heard of Moa #9 before. He was smashing through so many people I thought he was #8 and kept wondering why he was firing out bullet passes from the rucks and covering at fullback! Seriously good player. I understand he's from Tonga, so is he AB eligible?

He was called up to the ABs as a cover last year (think it was on the EOYT???not sure), so yes, he is eligible for the ABs.

Great game by us to win in Hamilton but disappointed that we saved our best game for last but fell short of reaching the semis. Moeke was really good with his kicks and so was Moa.

Anyway, it's a repeat of last years semifinals, but I hope Hawkes Bay can repay the favours we did to them on the weekend and go all the way.

Latest posts