• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

ANZC Round 7

J

Jethro

Northland 21 - 37 Counties Manukau

The Steelers got up for the second win of session in 2009, an unexpected bonus point bonanza against the Taniwha in Northland's own swamp. Not entirely sure this was the same team that got man shamed by the Lions last weekend and the ANZC just keeps on throwing up upsets. Counties lead at the break but still had plenty of work to do as Northland remained in touch, however the visitors moved it up a notch to extend their lead before finally Northland replied with a couple of late tries of their own.

Taranaki 29 - 16 Wellington

That sound you hear is the form book going out the window. The Naki simply played solid rugby, great intercept try, while the Lions had one of those nights they will wont to forget. Lions rugby turned into a bumbling shambles with the defense resembling Swiz cheese while the Taranaki forwards laid the ground work for their backs to take about every chance on offer for a great win for the Province.

NZRU ... two more games, two more upsets, two more large crowds. Leave the ANZC alone for the next three years!

Yeah leave it alooonnneee Nzrfu if you guys mess with it again it's gonna take another whole decade for people to start liking it again.

Anyway some great results for the competition with the Steelers smashing the Taniwha and a good performance from Tasesa Lavea and the rest of the crew. Unfortunately my team went down to Taranaki but would be a great result for alot of punters putting money on da Naki to win 13+ ******** lol. Seriously thou there were alot of handling errors from both sides mainly the Lions but it was an awesome result for Taranaki to finally get a 20 year hoodoo off their backs.

If I said 7 weeks ago Southland and Bay Of Plenty would be at the top of the table I would of been put in a psyciatric ward but tomorrow night these 2 teams are playing eachother and it should be a cracker. So Nzrfu, leave the Anz Cup alone get your hands off it ow!!

This is indeed a very very unpredictable year. Geez, the Taniwhas losing at home to the bloody Steelers ... :huh: . not cool bro, not cool.

But good to see the Nakis getting up for this match, big middle-finger up to Jamie Joseph..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Sep 11 2009, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah leave it alooonnneee Nzrfu if you guys mess with it again it's gonna take another whole decade for people to start liking it again.

Anyway some great results for the competition with the Steelers smashing the Taniwha and a good performance from Tasesa Lavea and the rest of the crew. Unfortunately my team went down to Taranaki but would be a great result for alot of punters putting money on da Naki to win 13+ ******** lol. Seriously thou there were alot of handling errors from both sides mainly the Lions but it was an awesome result for Taranaki to finally get a 20 year hoodoo off their backs.

If I said 7 weeks ago Southland and Bay Of Plenty would be at the top of the table I would of been put in a psyciatric ward but tomorrow night these 2 teams are playing eachother and it should be a cracker. So Nzrfu, leave the Anz Cup alone get your hands off it ow!![/b]

I've given up trying to pick the winners, which is why I think the punters are coming back in droves to the ANZC, any team can beat any other team in the competition on the day. Plenty of exciting young players coming through the comp over the last three years, should see a nice upsurge in AB firepower in due course.

About the only weak link I can see at the moment is Counties, however ...

1) Playing away from home while their stadium was brought up to ANZC standard isn't likely to fill the piggy banks.

2) The bloody NZRU basically saying they are gone in 2010, how the hell do you get a major sponsor with that axe ready to fall?

3) Drive to develop players in their own region, all for the good but takes a while for those players to get up to ANZC level.

The NZRU should pump some dollars into Counties, and let them follow the example of BOP, HB, Manawatu, Southland in cutting costs and actually running at a profit. Would give Counties about two more years to bounce back, Northland look well on the way there.

Tasman 23 - 9 Waikato

Mooloo must hate the idea of heading to the South Island as they have lost all their matches down there this year. After solid wins over Counties and the Bay they played pretty poorly and were handed their bums by the Makos. Tasman simply out gunned Waikato at the breakdown and at scrum time to run in comfortable winners. Finally a game running to form this weekend.

Southland 19 - 12 Bay of Plenty

Well knock me over with a feather duster the Stags stand alone at the top of the ANZC table you beauties Southland! One hell of a game in damp conditions, both teams gave up too many unforced errors to have their respective coaches reading the riot act no doubt afterwards, Southland can thank Robbie Robinson who had the kicking radar on. Is Robinson knocking at the AB EOYT door, I would think so. Not much to say about this game, too many errors at crucial times, but that's what you get when things hit the grind.

Tasman smoking Waikato wtf. I was too busy watching Southland take on B.O.P on Rugby channel at the time but I flicked between channels and Tasman looked busy and I don't know what's happening with Waikato but they look lost.

Another team that looks good for the chop is North Harbour they managed to beat defending champions Canterbury in the first round but have been no good since. If next years teams getting cut was based on this season I think Harbour be cut along with Counties, possibly Auckland and maybe even Waikato if they don't both pick their game up. It'll never happen but the impossible seems possible this season and that's what's making it exciting.

North Harbour 17 -34 Hawke's Bay

Unfortunately for Harbour they hit a Bay side finally finding the team work absent since round 1, where ironically they demolished the other Auckland team. For once the Bay hit the lead, albeit against the run of play, at the start and never looked likely to lose this one. Harbour stayed with them through to the second half and but finally subccombed to a superior forward pack, push over try, and the magic in the Hawkeye Guy's backline. A blunder by Ref Mike Fraser helped keep the home side in it.

Six in a row from Harbour, now about those four teams going down NZRU?

Canterbury 36 - 16 Otago

Otago's best chance to claim the ranfurly shield since, well their narrow defeat by the Lions earlier in the year, evapourated as a Cantab team missing it's AB stars finally put them out of their misery in the final quarter. The Evil Empire was strong right across the field but Otago had their measure in everything but the scoreboard. The game was a lot closer than the scoreline suggests with local punters getting value for money. Worrying signs for Canterbury's opponents in the second half of the competition, thankfully the Bay get them in Napier, should be a sell out.

Ahh Manawatu/Auckland today was great!

I'm gutted that Manawatu couldn't do it in the end though. So much heartbreak.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HarryPeters @ Sep 13 2009, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ahh Manawatu/Auckland today was great!

I'm gutted that Manawatu couldn't do it in the end though. So much heartbreak.[/b]

Final score Auckland 23 - 20 Manawatu win at the death by Auckland. Great fight back by Manawatu in this game they deserved a better result

Current Table After Round 7

1. Canterbury 24
2. Southland 24
3. Bay Of Plenty 21
4. Tasman 20

5. Auckland 20
6. Wellington 19
7. Taranaki 18
8. Hawkes Bay 16
9. Manawatu 15
10. Otago 14

11. Waikato 13