Appreciating Both Codes

Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
/FrontpageNewsBannersandMisc/2010/olyyrlblog.jpgFor some reason there is an ââ'¬Å"us versus themââ'¬Â mentality within the rugby community, when it comes down to League and Union fans, and I admit I once thought the same. If you were a fan of Union you couldnââ'¬â"¢t like League, and vice versa. Growing up in the Midlands I dismissed League as something played solely by Northerners and Australians, and with no professional teams anywhere near, and Union clubs like the Tigers, Saints and Warriors right on my doorstep, I was never tempted to stray to the other side.

That is, until I caught the Challenge Cup on TV one weekend and my eyes were opened. It was my first exposure to league, and I couldnââ'¬â"¢t get enough. It had the hard running and massive hits that I loved so much from Union. I took in as much as I could, watching the rest of the Challenge Cup, the final stages of the Super League and as much NRL as I could get my hands on, all the while cursing myself for ignoring the sport for as long as I had.

It seems odd to me now that I would dismiss Rugby League as something I wouldnââ'¬â"¢t enjoy. The two codes are similar enough that you could follow both without knowing the ins and outs of each rulebook; yet different enough that it doesnââ'¬â"¢t all feel the same. The fans share the same heart and passion for their clubs and country, and really, it should all come down to the fact that we all love watching 26-30men chase an egg around a muddy field for 80minutes at a time, each weekend!

This yearââ'¬â"¢s Challenge Cup semi-finals are fast approaching; with powerhouses Saint Helens and Leeds Rhinos facing off on August 7th and underdogs Catalans Dragons taking on last years winners Warrington Wolves on the 8th, with both matches on the BBC, so why not give them a watch? You never know, you might just like it.

DISCUSS THE CHALLENGE CUP IN THE TRF RUGBY LEAGUE FORUM

Back to Blog

Latest posts