• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Are London Welsh the Worst Premiership Club Ever

I remember a comment Dai Young got in trouble for a number of months ago... (it was completely idiotic, even if true)
"I'm shopping in Marks & Spencer now when I have been in Lidl for three years. It is a different shop,"

Definitely seems more applicable to Welsh right now...
I think they'll get back on the horse but the worry perhaps is that it will take longer than just next season to get back the confidence you need even at championship level. i do hope the damage done isn't too permanent, because they are at root a good club. I think they need to go back to those roots now..

so, in theory London Welsh could still survive this season...

from BBC
Should Newcastle lose all six of their remaining fixtures, London Welsh would need to win all five of their own and earn a bonus point in at least three of them, in order to avoid the drop.

imagine if that happened...

I think that Newcastle are a real example of what would happen if we got rid of relegation. Look at the rugby when they know that wont be relegated, people now want to go and watch them play. Players like Sinoti Sinoti, Hammersley are putting on some great performances and the club wants to play attacking rugby because it will bring players and fans to the club. Lets just make it 14 clubs bring up Bristol and Worcester or whoever the governing bodies see fit to bring up.

I think that Newcastle are a real example of what would happen if we got rid of relegation. Look at the rugby when they know that wont be relegated, people now want to go and watch them play. Players like Sinoti Sinoti, Hammersley are putting on some great performances and the club wants to play attacking rugby because it will bring players and fans to the club. Lets just make it 14 clubs bring up Bristol and Worcester or whoever the governing bodies see fit to bring up.
7000 on Saturday for a 'dead rubber' against Harlequins. Imagine the crowds without the threat of relegation and an expanded play-off series.

For what it's worth i'd bring Yorkshire/Carnegie/Leeds up along with Bristol and Worcester.

Last edited:
Its nice to play on a decent pitch as well...not a bog. Lots have been made of the new pitch, but I do think it has helped.

As for the playing knowing we are not at risk of relegation...it certainly helps, but its also down to having a good coach who has put tactics, plays and all the correct implementations in.

We're far from perfect...very inconsistent and I believe our scrum cost us a few wins. We've addressed that ironically signing one of LW's TH props Taione Vea who has stood out in a bad side, and Jon Welsh the Scotland prop and Leeds, Ben Harris.

Address our defence and we should be fine.

I have said previously though if a decent side had come up instead of LW we might have been in trouble this season. Too many narrow last 10 minute deafeats.

Its nice to play on a decent pitch as well...not a bog. Lots have been made of the new pitch, but I do think it has helped.

As for the playing knowing we are not at risk of relegation...it certainly helps, but its also down to having a good coach who has put tactics, plays and all the correct implementations in.

We're far from perfect...very inconsistent and I believe our scrum cost us a few wins. We've addressed that ironically signing one of LW's TH props Taione Vea who has stood out in a bad side, and Jon Welsh the Scotland prop and Leeds, Ben Harris.

Address our defence and we should be fine.

I have said previously though if a decent side had come up instead of LW we might have been in trouble this season. Too many narrow last 10 minute deafeats.

Scrum is going to be particularly important with Brookes leaving, though I can't begrudge him for it. I actually think our backs have looked really good this year, particularly people like Socino (excellent signing), Clegg and Catterick. I think that, for the means, Falcons are doing well tbh, though it's irritating that the huge improvement this season has come at the same time as that of a lot of other teams- Irish, Exeter, Gloucester towards the end, etc, otherwise i think we could be a couple of places higher in the table- not really an excuse, however...

Latest posts