• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Are most coaches referred to as coach by players ?

TheOvalBall

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
France
Or do players call them by their names ? Especially international teams ?

Name as far as i'm aware, calling the coach coach is an North American thing i think, i don't know why they call them coach sounds to impersonal IMO.

I have always called Refs sir and coaches by their name.

It's an American thing.

It is, but in some areas that term is also used in other Countries.

When I was in high school we called our coaches who weren't teachers Coach with their name afterwards.

I think in the proffessional leagues most coaches are called on their names. You can see that in interviews with players and they always refer to the coach in his name, not as "Coach Heyneke" or "Coach Eddie".

The school thing makes sense I guess.

All my school coaches where teachers so they where sirs.

At club and Counties it would be there name.

The school thing makes sense I guess.

All my school coaches where teachers so they where sirs.

Same here.

I don't think they would have been called "coach" had they not also been regular teachers, though.

Cause most coaches in the us just like the authority and the players like to be seen as sucks ups.

Same here.

I don't think they would have been called "coach" had they not also been regular teachers, though.

No I still think it would prob have been sir I mean sometimes we had Aussie and NZ'ers help out with sport and we would just call them their name.

- - - Updated - - -

Cause most coaches in the us just like the authority and the players like to be seen as sucks ups.

Yeh the relationship between Coaches and Players in sports like Football and basketball always seems to be more of a discipline nature which I'm not a fan of.

I have heard Sam Warburton refer to his coach as Gats during an interview although I'm not sure if he calls him that to his face

I called every coach up to about U16 sir, which was partly a habit from school and partly that I'm terrible with names. Apart from in school they invariably told me to call them by their name.

Most coaches I've met since work on first name terms, apart from a Welshman who insisted on Taff, which seemed odd.

Latest posts