• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Are Munster "worthy" champions?

You say Munster play negative rugby?!?! Munster scored 18 tries in the pool stages of the Heineken Cup this year. Take into consideration that only Leicester Tigers and Cardiff Blues scored more tries than them in the pool stages this season, they are hardly playing negative rugby? No? Also Munster are scored the third highest amount of points in the pool stages, pretty good considering they played against two teams who are very attack minded, Sale Sharks and ASM Clermont Auvergne.
During the last Heineken Cup season Munster didn't score as many tries or points, but still won the Cup. IMO a "worthy" champion is a team who reaches the pinical of European rugby, then improves for the next season - Munster clearly have and therefore must be "worthy" champions.

Personnaly I wouldn't take Munster/Clermont for reference...as it was against a 14 players team from the early beginning of the match.

well you twist things to your own opinion fairly easy, just take the Blues group, easy enough with 2 bp wins over Calvisano and 2 sides who have flattered to deceive on many occasions in the HEC and who have been really below par this season.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Apr 6 2009, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
We're not worthy.

Oooo, Cardiff. They're great, they are.

Guess Munster will have to "larn ya" in the knockouts.

Munster aren't yet a total war team, but they're getting there.

What is negative rugby? Anything that doesn't have Ickle Shane scoring three and conceding two?[/b]

Lets not bash Cardiff now...!

In regards to Munster, I can see why people would say they are boring. Although I 100% agree that the beauty of rugby is that each team have their own way of playing and their own way of winning. Coaches are constantly in a tactical, chess like battle which Munster are very good at executing. They can play flashy if they want, but their game is powerful and clinical and I like watching it. Sure a wide game is also good to watch, I suppose it down to preference really.

Overall if Munster really were that 'readable' then teams would be able to stop it. This generation of Munster team has been the best in Europe for the past 5 years and look like that will continue for a few more. Champions are always worthy.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sean43 @ Apr 6 2009, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Munster are not renown for their brilliant rugby, and probably never will.[/b]

How is munster rugby not brilliant they play smart and consistent rugby it may not be flashy but it smart rugby and i love watching a controlled game. At least its not a kick fest with munster and if you love forward play you cant go wrong with munster. Worthy in my book!

Munster are synonymous for 2 things;

1. Being boring to watch
2. Winning 9 times out of 10 over recent years.

Only point 2 will go down in the history books.

What exactly is so boring about Munster's gameplay?
Oh yeah, and could it be not be "TL;DR".

Munster keep it tight and always kick for territory. It works for them, and any home fan will always say they're team is interesting when they're winning, but it ain't pretty for everyone else.

Still, not everyone can be the 2003 Auckland Blues...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Apr 6 2009, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Munster keep it tight and always kick for territory. It works for them, and any home fan will always say they're team is interesting when they're winning, but it ain't pretty for everyone else.

Still, not everyone can be the 2003 Auckland Blues...[/b]

It's been two years since Munster Consistantly kicked for the Corners. They do it little more than any other team now.

The likes of Mafi, Earls, Howlett, Murphy, Warwick all love to run with ball in hand and O'Gara does his best to facilitate that.

One of the biggest problems in that first (dreadful) Heineken Cup game was there failure to kick the corners when the running game failed. The Big difference for the rest of the pool stage was that though they're happy to run they do kick the corners when there's nothings on.

I'm starting to think peoply have not actually been watching Muinster at all for the Last 2 seasons.

Watch Munster on Sunday lads (from behind the couch if you are Welsh), you might be surprised!

Like MonkeyPigeon has been saying, we are not the one dimensional team of '06 anymore, Kidney and especially McGahan made sure of that. There is not a more complete side in Europe

Aye, O'Gara is prone to kick possession away quite a bit, a lot less recently, especially in red but it's still something he does more than he should in my opinion. I think now that he's got a lot more competent backline behind him he's more confident to send the ball out, especially with Tipoki and Mafi right outside him.

People saying that teams are boring when they play tight, controlled rugby are becoming boring now.

It would be boring if every team on the planet threw the ball around with gleefull abandon. Sometimes I'd rather watch an attritional battle.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hall @ Apr 8 2009, 04:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
People saying that teams are boring when they play tight, controlled rugby are becoming boring now.

It would be boring if every team on the planet threw the ball around with gleefull abandon. Sometimes I'd rather watch an attritional battle.[/b]
Here here :D It plays more on the mind and nerves watching an attritional rugby match were there is something at stake.

This whole thread has basically been started by someone who is envious of Munsters success. Every team plays to win just some do it better than others.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Apr 8 2009, 05:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
This whole thread has basically been started by someone who is envious of Munsters success. Every team plays to win just some do it better than others.[/b]
Danny does it again.

Thread. Closed.

Envious? My post doesnt touch on envy at all, I have just asked for other peoples views on Munsters style of play. The game against the Ospreys on Sunday will be interesting, I am expecting an "attrition" battle either way.

I think this boy wanted to start a serious conversation about Munster, maybe he tact was a little off, but I think y'all have taken a little bit too seriously.

I honestly can't wait for Sunday. Two teams which are pretty much international standard, who don't like each other playing in a sold out Thomond Park in a Heineken Cup quarter final.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Apr 8 2009, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I honestly can't wait for Sunday. Two teams which are pretty much international standard, who don't like each other playing in a sold out Thomond Park in a Heineken Cup quarter final.[/b]

well, munster have plenty international players and play to international standard. the hairsprays have plenty international players and... underachieve.

Latest posts