• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Are Snooker or Darts actually Sports?

S

shazbooger

Heres one for you,

About 8 of us here in work have been debating this one for the day and were still split.

By definition a sport is "a game, competition or activity needing physical effort and skill that is played or done according to rules, for enjoyment and/or as a job"

Can the likes of Darts or Snooker really be considered as sports? By definition yes, but maybe its time to re-define the term? If not then surely we should include the likes of Elephant Polo, Wife Carrying, Extreme Ironging, Underwater Hockey and my personal favourite, Rock Paper Scissors.

I think that darts is recognised by a few bodies as a sport rather than a game. Not sure about snooker but I assume its the same.

In America, Cheerleaders always assert that Cheerleading is a Sport...to which I always reply, no, you are there to support a sport. Does it require physicality? Definitely...they're all fit. But is it a sport? Not so much. They do have Cheerleading competitions at the highschool level (just like the movies Bring it On and Bring it On Again).
To me Darts and Snooker (Or, Pool) is not so much a sport as it is a game. It definitely doesn't fit the Greek mold of Olympic Sport, if you ask me.

Yes and Yes. Otherwise motor racing wouldn't be classed as a sport either.

Next question.

Snooker and darts are played by drunken men in pubs. I generally play coignage or down-downs when drunk and in the pub. Or sometimes even the fool. So does this qualify coignage, down-downs or playing the fool as a sport? Methinks not.

But Mite has a point about motor racing- it`s also something done by drunk men, just as they are leaving the pub, so it also can`t qualify as a sport.

I think Logorrhea is only asking this question because he's rubbish at both :D I'm surprised he hasn't lumped in Cricket as well because, when you look at it, any idiot can throw a ball, hit a ball with a bat and catch (as well as stand around for ages), I mean, look at Phil Tuffnel!

I'm awful at Snooker but I find it incredibly riveting a contest, it demands exceptional mental skill and stamina, especially for matches that last for up to fifty frames, it can be incredibly draining. With the amount of mental work that has to go into being a professional snooker player, I'd put Snooker on par with Chess.

snooker/pool/billiards/8-ball/9-ball are great games

the pro circut is the sport

the pubs are the games

without pool.........pubs would be boring sometimes

i reckon its one of the greatest creations ever made

Darts > Tennis!

DER DER DER DER DER DER DER, DER DER DER DER, DER DER DER DER

OI OI OI OI!

Darts > Tennis!

DER DER DER DER DER DER DER, DER DER DER DER, DER DER DER DER

OI OI OI OI! [/b]

Here, here.

Sid Waddell > All other commentators!!

Who would have thought that Planet Funk's Chase the Sun would have become such a popular song 8 years after it was released...

How can you not call something like this sport???

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fARNVDw3jLw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fARNVDw3jLw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

elephant polo is a sport, cause i say so!

(c'mon, Scotland need to be good at something! ;) )

elephant polo is a sport, cause i say so!

(c'mon, Scotland need to be good at something! ;) )
[/b]

In that case, I`ll nominate jukskei as a sport too- seeing as it`s a traditional Saffa pastime, I reckon we`re world champs at it.

Latest posts