• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Are South Africa Missing out on players with huge potential ?

iINDOMINUSxx

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Edinburgh
I thought i post this here but if its in the wrong place then feel welcome to move it somewhere else.

I keep thinking if Heyneke Meyer was wasting the chance to make South Africa an unstoppable team with the amount off players the Springboks could had have and then slip away to play for another country. I'll List all the south africans who now play for a different nation (please mention if i missed someone out):

Rory Kockott (France)
Bernard Le Roux (France)
D. T. H. van der Merwe (Canada)
Brad Barritt (England)
Mouritz Botha (England)
Richardt Strauss (Ireland)
Quintin Geldenhuys (Italy)
Tyrone Holmes (Scotland)
Greig Tonks (Scotland)
Andries Pretorius (Wales)

And here is a list off players who can make a switch soon (please mention if i missed someone out):

Allan Dell (Scotland)
Cornell du Preez (Scotland (not 100% sure tbh)
Josh Strauss (Scotland)
De Kock Steenkamp (Wales)
CJ Stander (Ireland)

I really felt if south africa called up some off the names mention above then they would have a really strong squad. I know south africa aren't the only ones New Zealand and Australia i felt have missed out on some potential too but so have every nation i guess. But i felt that south africa has missed out on some really Big names like Rory Kockott and Brad Barritt etc. so what are your thoughts on this.

Don't think any ex-pat South African would make a massive difference to the current team. I certainly wouldn't play any

Don't think any ex-pat South African would make a massive difference to the current team. I certainly wouldn't play any
well if i was Meyer, I would have definitely take on Rory Kockott, maybe Barritt, but the rest i wouldn't pick.

They've a big selection of players so you'll always see quality players missing out.

Where they are missing out is Super rugby. You can't lose so many and not feel it.

well if i was Meyer, I would have definitely take on Rory Kockott, maybe Barritt, but the rest i wouldn't pick.

Kockott, maybe, but I think there are much better SH in the country. Also think how he plays is not in the Springbok style.

Barritt, you have to be joking

Kockott, maybe, but I think there are much better SH in the country. Also think how he plays is not in the Springbok style.

Barritt, you have to be joking
well i know that Barritt will never be better then Jean De Villiers, Jaque Fourie, Jan Serfontein or Damian de Allende, but i think he will be a good replacement when he is on his best form

In answer to the op, none of those players are ones with huge potential. The Stander and Kockott maybe but that's about it. Stander was told he was too small anyway and SA don't exactly struggle for backrows. Kockott has too many attitude problems and wouldn't be picked by Meyer. He could have picked any of them at any time anyway and didn't.

In the answer to the op, none of those players are ones with huge potential. The Stander and Kockott maybe but that's about it. Stander was told he was too small anyway and SA don't exactly struggle for backrows. Kockott has too many attitude problems and wouldn't be picked by Meyer. He could have picked any of them at any time anyway and didn't.
but Kockott would have been great for the springboks when i personally think he's better than the other springboks scrum-halfs

Can't see any improvement with those players instead of the current ones. The team I do see struggling without his overseas is Australia.

I believe CJ Stander played underage for South Africa so he can't play for Ireland? Not 100% sure on this so please correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe CJ Stander played underage for South Africa so he can't play for Ireland? Not 100% sure on this so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Sean Maitland represented the NZ Maori team and represents Scotland now so i guess CJ Stander can play for ireland now

They'd be better off getting Mike Catt out of retirement than most of that list tbh.

As you have now discovered (yourself) Stander will be eligible for Ireland next season. Players only have their eligibility locked in to certain sides if they play for their test side, 7's side, or "nominated 2nd team". The "nominated 2nd team" for South Africa in 2010 (when Stander was playing at U20 level) was South Africa A. The South African Rugby Union changes their "2nd team" in June 2012 to the U20's side, so from then onwards anyone who played for that side will only be eligible for South Africa.

As you have now discovered (yourself) Stander will be eligible for Ireland next season. Players only have their eligibility locked in to certain sides if they play for their test side, 7's side, or "nominated 2nd team". The "nominated 2nd team" for South Africa in 2010 (when Stander was playing at U20 level) was South Africa A. The South African Rugby Union changes their "2nd team" in June 2012 to the U20's side, so from then onwards anyone who played for that side will only be eligible for South Africa.

Cheers for the info!

Crazy that we don't do this as well...

DTH moved to Canada as a teenager, so quite a bit of his development as a player came from here, it's not like he moved here in his twenties and we just threw him on the team after residency.

I think everyone has pretty much hit the nail on the head (loose forwards we have in spades, Kockott's attitude rulkes him out, DTH is as Canadian, rest aren't test class, U20 only recently our designated 2nd team, the Bokke don't miss those 90 overseas based players but our SR sides could do with that 'missing generation' of 'stock' player etc) so I have nothing to add.

Latest posts