• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Argentina 2019

RichardRheeder

Academy Player
Country Flag
South Africa
This morning I woke up realizing that SANZAR could've created a bit of a new monster, and thought to myself this is now a real possibility....

Firstly congratulations to Argentina for following up on your fantastic win against us in our own backyard earlier this year, to making the semi-finals yet again, though I must say, the fashion you're doing it now compared to 2007 is quite impressive. The reason for starting this thread, is based on the improvement undergone by Argentina following 4 rugby championship seasons from where they were prior (ie. having never beaten SA prior and last beating the Wallabies in 1997). Now judging by the team they've put together for Super Rugby next year (basically the whole Pumas team together on a domestic level), they'll not only be ***le contenders in my eyes; but imagine having the Boks, Wallabies or All Blacks having their best 22 in a squad together for 4 years playing together domestically and internationally week in and week out, what scary well-oiled machines wouldn't they be?

Well that's exactly the situation it seems the Pumas are going to be in....
4 years of Super Rugby together, addition to another 4 Rugby Championships; I've got a feeling we'll have a team here that could well end up winning the 2019 World Cup.

I know it's premature, and only another 4 years away, but it could be a huge possibility. Any thoughts on this?

If they can dig up a couple of bigger/more skilled backs then yeah they are going to be a big handful and could really start dominating. There forward pack has always been good enough.

If they can dig up a couple of bigger/more skilled backs then yeah they are going to be a big handful and could really start dominating. There forward pack has always been good enough.

Their backs seemed more skilled than Ireland's on Sunday probably more skilled than any we have in the NH.

Not going to out too much emphasis on the performance just yet just like Japan beating SA doesn't warrant their immediate inclusion to the 6 nations and rugby championship. However they have probably signalled they'll no longer be SH whipping boys and will probably even more regular take top NH scalps.

Let's try to remember what injuries did to Ireland and the fact they simply did not turn up for the first 20 mins.

All I'm saying is they have jut proven again that you ignore them at your peril.

They tore Ireland a new one and it won't be long before they do the same to the ABs . Within the next 4 year cycle I can see them beating NZ at the very least once (hopefully not at this tournament) , but if they continue to improve like they have in the last four years they will make it a regular thing.
And to the poster above saying Ireland didn't turn up in the first 20 whats your point? Ireland were mentaly frail in that first 20 and last 10 an the pumas put them to the sword.
It's very exciting times for Argentine rugby and all us others who have a team in the RC......... Argentina are on the up and long may it continue.

Their backs seemed more skilled than Ireland's on Sunday probably more skilled than any we have in the NH.

As I said in the other thread I think the NZ game earlier in the year woke them up along with Creevy giving them a kick up the ass (if you watched the game he clearly wasnt happy his backs were loosing him the game because he was kicking ass and taking names in that game, MOM imo) because ever since that game they've been pretty good really.

But a few of them are still well underdone vs teams like NZ and Australia.

Last edited:
Well I think now that Argentina has their own Super Rugby team from 2016 onwards, with home games in Argentina, the popularity will keep on increasing locally in Argentina. Most of their top players have signed up to play Super Rugby, so not all of them will go to the NH like in the past. And just like their RC counterparts, the local breeding grounds has shown that it's in the best interest for the national team.

This morning I woke up realizing that SANZAR could've created a bit of a new monster, and thought to myself this is now a real possibility....

Firstly congratulations to Argentina for following up on your fantastic win against us in our own backyard earlier this year, to making the semi-finals yet again, though I must say, the fashion you're doing it now compared to 2007 is quite impressive. The reason for starting this thread, is based on the improvement undergone by Argentina following 4 rugby championship seasons from where they were prior (ie. having never beaten SA prior and last beating the Wallabies in 1997). Now judging by the team they've put together for Super Rugby next year (basically the whole Pumas team together on a domestic level), they'll not only be ***le contenders in my eyes; but imagine having the Boks, Wallabies or All Blacks having their best 22 in a squad together for 4 years playing together domestically and internationally week in and week out, what scary well-oiled machines wouldn't they be?

Well that's exactly the situation it seems the Pumas are going to be in....
4 years of Super Rugby together, addition to another 4 Rugby Championships; I've got a feeling we'll have a team here that could well end up winning the 2019 World Cup.

I know it's premature, and only another 4 years away, but it could be a huge possibility. Any thoughts on this?

How do you know they won't beat the Aussies this weekend and then likely the ABs the week after?

They are in unbelieveable form man, incredible. I would say they are a favourite against Australia and have about a 30% chance to beat the ABs in the final. Can't wait for this weekend's rugby matches. I am 100% behind the Argies for the rest of the RWC.

How do you know they won't beat the Aussies this weekend and then likely the ABs the week after?

They are in unbelieveable form man, incredible. I would say they are a favourite against Australia and have about a 30% chance to beat the ABs in the final. Can't wait for this weekend's rugby matches. I am 100% behind the Argies for the rest of the RWC.

One word man Barnes. Any other reff and Id rate Argentina in this match. With Barnes Argentina are ****ed.

And to the poster above saying Ireland didn't turn up in the first 20 whats your point? Ireland were mentaly frail in that first 20 and last 10 an the pumas put them to the sword.
Exactly that more or less Ireland fought back tremendously but th effort was so much they capitulated in the last 10. However had Ireland screwed up so badly in the opening 20 the result changes. Plus injuries to their main guys harmed them greatly. Simply out Ireland are not a terrible side overnight, just like Australia are not for almost loosing to Scotland, or SA for loosing to Japan. Occasionally you get beat by an worse side due to many reasons. Let's see how well Argentina sustain this into next year before calling this a new dawn. I've had too many false dawns s an England fan in the last 12 years.

Well yes if you Don't perform as well as the opposition in the first 20 minutes then you will lose and you have no excuse for being mentally frail. It was a world cup 1/4 and you leak 40 points losing by 20. That's a hammering no excuse. Plus the pumas played some excellent rugby and were by the better team by a mile.

Last edited:

Who cares about huge backs as long as they can tackle? I much prefer Argies smallish backs that are rapid and agile.

Who cares about huge backs as long as they can tackle? I much prefer Argies smallish backs that are rapid and agile.

Hey man, haven't you heard the lastest from Argie posters.....they'll beat any NH team? Wow, I thought Ozzies were cocky but the Argies take the biscuit, they are good I'll admit that but seriousley

Hey man, haven't you heard the lastest from Argie posters.....they'll beat any NH team? Wow, I thought Ozzies were cocky but the Argies take the biscuit, they are good I'll admit that but seriousley

Beat any SH team you mean?

Eh, not that cocky, we feel more confident now that we can take NH teams and not always being on the losing side. :p

Eh, not that cocky, we feel more confident now that we can take NH teams and not always being on the losing side. :p

If you say so, I've got to admit, since Porta, the PUMAS are the best thing since sliced bread, not as tastey as guiney pigs though but at least the Argintinians beleive it I suppose :champion: coz the Pumas are the best.....get REAL PEOPLE

One word man Barnes. Any other reff and Id rate Argentina in this match. With Barnes Argentina are ****ed.
Nearly fell off the chair when i read this. Good stuff.

You clearly have a very strange definition of cockiness. Have a look at the Argentina vs Australia thread. If that's cocky kindly show me a team that's humble in your eyes.

To add insult to injury on the OP's point, Argentina's team was the second least capped at the Quarter finals, and with many incredibly young players taking prominent roles in the team. Here's the XV for the Ireland match:

[TABLE="width: 466"]
<colgroup><col><col span="3"></colgroup><tbody>[TR]
[TD]Player[/TD]
[TD]Age[/TD]
[TD]Caps[/TD]
[TD]Signed for SR?[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Marcos Ayerza[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]32[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]64[/TD]
[TD] N[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Agustin Creevy[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]30[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]45 [/TD]
[TD]Y[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ramiro Herrera[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]26[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]18 [/TD]
[TD]Y[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Guido Petti[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]20[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]10 [/TD]
[TD]Y[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tomas Lavanini[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]22[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]25 [/TD]
[TD]Y[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Pablo Matera[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]22[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]21[/TD]
[TD] Y[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]33[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]69[/TD]
[TD] N[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Leonardo Senatore[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]31[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]33 [/TD]
[TD]Y[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Martin Landajo[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]27[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]50 [/TD]
[TD]Y[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Nicolas Sanchez[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]37 [/TD]
[TD]Y[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Juan Jose Imhoff[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]32[/TD]
[TD] N[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Juan Martin Hernandez[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]33[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]57[/TD]
[TD] Y[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Matias Moroni[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]24[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]7 [/TD]
[TD]Y[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Santiago Cordero[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]21[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]16 [/TD]
[TD]Y[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Joaquin Tuculet[/TD]
[TD] Y[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

So Argentina lose Ayerza, Galarza, Lobbe and Imhoff next year...that's a real kick in the stones. Albacete already gone.

Are Figallo and Bosch signed to the new Super Rugby team too, or are they lost also?

Last edited:

Latest posts