• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Argentina 2019

Yup like that point where Ireland got to within 3 points and Garces decided a clear yellow card offense wasn't one because it could result in red card. Yup certainly waited until Ireland couldn't win before he benefitted Argentina.

I have to admit I breathed a sigh of relief, but nevertheless felt a little dirty.

So Argentina lose Ayerza, Galarza, Lobbe and Imhoff next year...that's a real kick in the stones. Albacete already gone.

Are Figallo and Bosch signed to the new Super Rugby team too, or are they lost also?
Bosch is definitely staying with us but I don't know about Figalo, I'd imagine he will stay as he only joined us last season

Thanks God, the Europeans did not let us to join the 6N tournament. Play in TRC was the best thing that could happen to Argentina, it is a brutal (physically and psychologically) school, in which you learn or you die.

That interview is priceless. I forgot about it and it reminded me with i have a love/hate reaction when it comes to Pichot

Here is a gem

Pichot: "... because the New Zealanders that play sevens are people that will never play for the All Blacks (meaning XV)".

I couldn't help thinking of Christian Cullen and Lomu.

He's right in the broader sense though. The New Zealand 7's squad that plays the World Series has zero players who contenders for the All Blacks. Sure there might be some, particularly youngsters, who might have a brief spell with New Zealand 7's or just pop along to a Commonwealth Games perhaps, but how many players who play over season of World 7's Series have been legitimate contenders for All Black jerseys at the same time? Very few as you have to give up 7's to play Super Rugby to make All Blacks.

I feel there's something people does not see: there's a difference between you national XV and you country's rugby.

¿Argentina could take on any NH team? Sure. This team with Imhoff, Cordero and etc can certainly take over this irish squad, even the first irish XV. Would be favorite? No way. Only the top 3 (AUS ENG SA) is allways favorite against NH sides. Is this Argentina favorite against any of the current NH sides? Sure.

The main difference between ARG and the rest of top tiers, and I mean almost all of them, is that their rugby is much, much, very very much bigger than ours. Our team could take on England, but our rugby could never compare to theirs. It's so much bigger, so much important, so much better than the rugby we have in Argentina. And the same I say about IRE FRA WAL SCO. It's the rugby you should be proud about, not the selection of the elite 30/ 15 you choose to compete in WC, because rugby is what represents you and those players don't represent you allways.

Also, this WC is good to ARG to bring in the idea that argentina players are valuable. Until today we had Pichot Contepomi Hernánez, that pack so good at scrums and some other four guys who don't screw up too much. Today, all pumas XV are definitely elite players.

By the way, the plan was allways 2019 for UAR executives.

If we only were faster and could steal Cheiks to the aussies before McEnzie resigned...

How so?

He's right in the broader sense though. The New Zealand 7's squad that plays the World Series has zero players who contenders for the All Blacks. Sure there might be some, particularly youngsters, who might have a brief spell with New Zealand 7's or just pop along to a Commonwealth Games perhaps, but how many players who play over season of World 7's Series have been legitimate contenders for All Black jerseys at the same time? Very few as you have to give up 7's to play Super Rugby to make All Blacks.

I'm not sure of the context you are discussing this in, but while you are correct, that outside of Comm games, NZ 7s payers are never AB contenders as well (at any one time). So many All Blacks have had stints at 7s, and there are a bunch more that will be ABs that have spent time in 7s already.

Guys like Eric Rush, Cullen, Lomu, Muliaiina, Rokocoko, Messam, Kaino, Dagg, Jane, Piutau, Vito, J Savea, Barrett, Naholo to name a few, and you can pencil in Akira Ioane and Ardie Savea as well!

Again I'm not sure what the context is here in terms of Argentinian Rugby (as the interview is in Spanish), but if it relates the improtance of the sevens programme to the National team (and rugby as a whole in the country) then they should all be very much aligned! It is super helpful in the development of these guys. It gives them exposure to high level proffessional rugby, develops their skills, their fitness levels & in particular readies them for top level rugby often at a stage of their playing career where many would not get much of a look in even at ITM level let alone Super Rugby level. It really is a great development tool for NZ rugby!

I'm not sure of the context you are discussing this in, but while you are correct, that outside of Comm games, NZ 7s payers are never AB contenders as well (at any one time). So many All Blacks have had stints at 7s, and there are a bunch more that will be ABs that have spent time in 7s already.

Guys like Eric Rush, Cullen, Lomu, Muliaiina, Rokocoko, Messam, Kaino, Dagg, Jane, Piutau, Vito, J Savea, Barrett, Naholo to name a few, and you can pencil in Akira Ioane and Ardie Savea as well!

Again I'm not sure what the context is here in terms of Argentinian Rugby (as the interview is in Spanish), but if it relates the improtance of the sevens programme to the National team (and rugby as a whole in the country) then they should all be very much aligned! It is super helpful in the development of these guys. It gives them exposure to high level proffessional rugby, develops their skills, their fitness levels & in particular readies them for top level rugby often at a stage of their playing career where many would not get much of a look in even at ITM level let alone Super Rugby level. It really is a great development tool for NZ rugby!

Players from 20 years ago aren't relevant. But Naholo is a good example, when he played 7's he wasn't even playing much in Super Rugby let alone an All Black contender. Likewise Dagg played when he had barely started his pro career. I don't think 7's has a great deal of relevance when it comes to helping players play proper rugby either to be honest.

Players from 20 years ago aren't relevant. But Naholo is a good example, when he played 7's he wasn't even playing much in Super Rugby let alone an All Black contender. Likewise Dagg played when he had barely started his pro career. I don't think 7's has a great deal of relevance when it comes to helping players play proper rugby either to be honest.

Relevant for what? Like I said I'm not privy to the context you are discussing this in? But if its about how 7s links in with 15s and it's importance in the development of the 15 aside game then I'd argue 7s is by in large playing the same roll now than it was 20 years ago.

As for Naholo, he wasnt playing super rugby at all when he got named in the sevens. And you will find that is the case with pretty much all of the guys I have listed. Hence why it is considered to play a very important developmental roll in NZ rugby.

So the point is not that it preps them for how to play 15 a side rugby, it's that it exposes them to high level professional sport at a time when they would otherwise not be getting exposure in the 15 aside game. As a result it really seems to kickstart many 15 aside careers. Of course it also develops some of the skills that are required in both forms of the game.

Relevant for what? Like I said I'm not privy to the context you are discussing this in? But if its about how 7s links in with 15s and it's importance in the development of the 15 aside game then I'd argue 7s is by in large playing the same roll now than it was 20 years ago.

As for Naholo, he wasnt playing super rugby at all when he got named in the sevens. And you will find that is the case with pretty much all of the guys I have listed. Hence why it is considered to play a very important developmental roll in NZ rugby.

So the point is not that it preps them for how to play 15 a side rugby, it's that it exposes them to high level professional sport at a time when they would otherwise not be getting exposure in the 15 aside game. As a result it really seems to kickstart many 15 aside careers. Of course it also develops some of the skills that are required in both forms of the game.

Agree, Sean McMahon is a player that came through the 7's system before getting a contract to the Rebels in 14 Now in the Wallabies, with a bright future.

The context was that the reporter felt that the focus of UAR is on XV and SR teams, and that if they had taken some of the PLADAR money to develop 7's, in his (the reporter's) opinion, Argentina could have won a Panamerican gold medal (it was a silver, lost v Canada IIRC).

Pichot may be right or wrong about New Zealand, but he is dead on right about where UAR should focus it's money right now.

The context was that the reporter felt that the focus of UAR is on XV and SR teams, and that if they had taken some of the PLADAR money to develop 7's, in his (the reporter's) opinion, Argentina could have won a Panamerican gold medal (it was a silver, lost v Canada IIRC).

Pichot may be right or wrong about New Zealand, but he is dead on right about where UAR should focus it's money right now.

agree
i think pichot deserves some credit here, he´s done greate so far. step by step he managed to put arg in the rc, the paladar and pampas, now`s the turn for super rugby
and i will back his desitions. he thinks this is the best for now: only one SR team and you can ´t play in los pumas if you play in europe. fair enough
they are finally working seriously and achiving at the same time. i cant argue with that. i do believe we could have a second Sr team in a few years. time will tell

they are finally working seriously and achiving at the same time. i cant argue with that. i do believe we could have a second Sr team in a few years. time will tell

Absolutely. That's my only fear, that the SR franchise being the only place to pick up players from will stagnate the Pumas a bit (of course you'd have the PLADAR and local league, but you won't have depth on the bench with top rugby experience this way).

A second SR team would be a great addition, but of course the financing concerns Pichot raises in the interview are absolutely valid.

Absolutely. That's my only fear, that the SR franchise being the only place to pick up players from will stagnate the Pumas a bit (of course you'd have the PLADAR and local league, but you won't have depth on the bench with top rugby experience this way).

A second SR team would be a great addition, but of course the financing concerns Pichot raises in the interview are absolutely valid.

and this non europe players in los pumas thing could be reversed if it `s a problem.. i mean they are not stupid if they see the best players are still emigrating to france a few years from from now the could review this issue. is not such a big deal

Well the franchise will accommodate a fixed number of players. The rest will have to either play in Europe or if they are lucky some other franchise will pick them up(this would be great).

Well the franchise will accommodate a fixed number of players. The rest will have to either play in Europe or if they are lucky some other franchise will pick them up(this would be great).

Absolutely, having some of our guys playing in the other SR franchises would be great, would the franchises be open to receive them though?

how big is the money in super rugby teams anyway? cos there are many important kiwis and oz playng in europe. the money must be bigger in NH or not?

I think Tomas Cubelli is signing for the Brumbies and will still be eligible. Outstanding acquisition as well, he is immense. I'd like to see the Argentina Super Team contract all these players but loan the ones who aren't getting game out to franchises like the Kings or Cheetahs or Force etc. So they can get game time if deemed good enough. Obviously long term in 5 years, they will be looking at a second franchise. If they don't have the player base by then, then there might be opportunity for overseas players to come in and play for the franchise.

Also, we talk 2019, but who's to say they can't do it this time around. They are playing scintillating rugby and I know everyone is cautious about how good they actually are but remember they stuck it to the All Blacks before fading. They are good team. I said this earlier in the tournament that the last 2 finals have been contested by teams who met in pool play and I said it would happen again with NZ and Argentina. I stand by that as well, although the Aussie game is going to be immensely tight.

Selling half price Cat B pair of semi tickets for Argentina v Australia this Sunday. Heartbroken Irish fan trying lessen the pain! £315 for the pair, face value was £630. Watch Argentina go into the final!!! Text me on 00447530018964. Can deliver anywhere in London. Thanks, G

Latest posts