• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Argentina are on the verge of being admitted into the Tri-Nations

It`s been needed for a long time already- and good to eventually have the Argies recognised. Personally, I would like a home-away type of scenario, with the Argies playing their home games in- Argentina! Less of a travel factor for us Saffas, and more for the Kiwis and Aussies. But not just to even things out a bit- actually because the Argies have shown their true mettle where it needs to be shown- on the field of play itself.

I would actually also welcome 2 professional Argie teams in an expanded Super 16, maybe even bring in a top Japan club side- and have it run over 2 pools, with 1st and 2nd in both pools going through to the semi`s etc. God knows the Super 14 also needs a new lease on life- the current format never really had a helluva lot of appeal, what with regional teams with new identities usurping the old provincial identities.

Last year`s Tri-Nations extensions was utterly pointless, what with each team playing each other 3 times- methinks that the revenue dropped quite considerably, as the last 3 or 4 games were "dead rubbers" anyway, and the half-full stadiums was plenty of proof of exactly how the fans voted for the extended comp- with their feet.

I think it might be too early to get a Japanese TOP LEAGUE team in (although as they are all corporate funded, it isn't as if they couldn't afford to fly over) I think Japan would be better off with an expanded Six Nations or being a permanent nation in the Churchill Cup.

They (Argentina) need to play at home for the fans and to bolster the Rugby there. Argentinians having a chance to regularly see The All Blacks, The Springboks, and The Wallabies at home would have to boost rugby there, further enhancing the Pumas being added to the comp.

<div class='quotemain'>
i agree with don billy!!

if this is going to happen, then argentina need two profesional sides in the super 14, to encourage home grown players to stay and entice others back to play in argentina!!
[/b]

so in the futures it will become super 17?
(spears next year and two team from argentine :p )

will be cool though...
But rather see them in 6nations, because I can watch that in the Nethelands ;)
[/b][/quote]

apart from the fact that you cant count i disagree. i dont think any more teams should be added to the super 14. its too long as it is. And having the teams tour south africa and south america will just be to much hassel for the players. If this does happen i see teams having two squads that mix and match for the games and diluting the competition that is the best club competition in the world. (my opinion is my opinion and i like onions).

Having Argentina play in the 4nations torny would be awesome though. And having the current home and away schedule wouldnt be to bad. Players are used to flying to South Africa from New Zealand and vice versa they will get used to the travel to Argentina as well. The aussies have the best of it at the moment with them being in the middle and it will make it a bit fairer having to go all that way :)

Yeah, the idea of an extended Super 14+ isn't going to happen. Argentina and several other American Unions are going to form their own Super 14 style competition.

The IRB and other sponsors are ready to plough into such a competition.

I'd love to see the pumas playing in the tri-nations. As everyone else has already pointed out, the inclusion of the pumas into the fold would work wonders for their game.

From what Ive gathered, the only thing working against the proposal is the fact the Tri-nations are held in June. Thats usually the annual break time for the majority of the northern hemisphere players....which is where most of the Argentinian internationals ply their trade. Playing a solid season of rugby THEN having to join the tri-nations is a LOT of rugby. Nothing the IRB wouldnt be able to sort out, im sure. But yeah, there definitely isnt anything else standing in the way of them joining.

Argentina is only a 12 hour direct flight away from here (NZ). So distance isnt a problem.

GO THE PUMAS!!! hey it may not favor players/management now but look in the long term...this will certainly upgrade them and hopefully other southern american teams get bigger too..

I'd love to see the pumas playing in the tri-nations. As everyone else has already pointed out, the inclusion of the pumas into the fold would work wonders for their game.

From what Ive gathered, the only thing working against the proposal is the fact the Tri-nations are held in June. Thats usually the annual break time for the majority of the northern hemisphere players....which is where most of the Argentinian internationals ply their trade. Playing a solid season of rugby THEN having to join the tri-nations is a LOT of rugby. Nothing the IRB wouldnt be able to sort out, im sure. But yeah, there definitely isnt anything else standing in the way of them joining.

Argentina is only a 12 hour direct flight away from here (NZ). So distance isnt a problem.
[/b]

Well its not really the "traditional break time" when in June? Thats when the Summer Tests are held!

They still have to play a solid season of rugby and then a lot more rugby down in Argentina anyway entertaining a touring northern or southern hemisphere side.

Sooo, it doesn't make a bit of difference.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Well its not really the "traditional break time" when in June? Thats when the Summer Tests are held!

They still have to play a solid season of rugby and then a lot more rugby down in Argentina anyway entertaining a touring northern or southern hemisphere side.

Sooo, it doesn't make a bit of difference.
[/b][/quote]

Well this is the issue actually and that's why I said that Arentina joining the 3N is meaningful if together with this two new Super Rugby franchises are created in Argentina.

Let's look to the Calendar, many of the Pumas play in France where the regular club Rugby season ends mid-June. After that there are the June tests, after that there would be the quadri-nations which would end early September. These players will need some rest before starting again with their clubs. The French Rugby Player Union has obtained 8 weeks interruption so these players would be back for early November just in time for the Autumn tours... This means that these players could play again for their club late November or early December. I doubt these Pumas will be able to pursue very long their career in European clubs.

you'll probably find an element of the argie players feeding into the SA, NZ, Aus teams, it may be a trickle at first but potentially you could be looking at alot more cross country/club movement between the southern hemisphere countries. Its quite common in the northern hemisphere so I reckon if SANZAR remove the fence that have circled the respective countries in a few years time you will see at an argentinian name on alot of team sheets

you'll probably find an element of the argie players feeding into the SA, NZ, Aus teams, it may be a trickle at first but potentially you could be looking at alot more cross country/club movement between the southern hemisphere countries. Its quite common in the northern hemisphere so I reckon if SANZAR remove the fence that have circled the respective countries in a few years time you will see at an argentinian name on alot of team sheets
[/b]

This would go in the right direction. Anyway in the end the argentinians need to have their professional sides at home. This is a big and great country, the economy will eventually get back on track and Argentina will then become as interesting as Australia and the global sponsors should be ready to invest there.

I think most of the Pumas players are more than able to play in the S14.

If one of the S14 clubs took a chance on one or two Argie players, they'd be pleasantly surprised.

Totally agree.
Those Puma forwards are a bunch of nutters and you only have to watch a couple of games to see how talented the backs are.

Don't we just all love those crazy argentinians? Who can say something bad about them? Speak out, 'cause I'll smack you right in the face. I played with one a year ago...great guy!
I'd love to see the Arg's, Canucks and Us in a super 14 style tourney. It would be great. No commercial value in the states, but there is in Canadia and Argentinia.

That would be a great tournament.
The Argies would slaughter you and the Canucks, but everyone improves by playing against a better class opposition!

Plus, you've got the quality that is Emerick in the centre.
I love that guy...in more ways than one.

Just adding my agreement to this idea. It's been needed for a long time. Adding another round to the Tri-Nations was just stupid. It made the greatest SH tournament get boring by the last round!

It needs new flavour. How many of us eat the same lunch every day? Well, thats what Sanzar have been feeding us.

It was either this or the new comp could've been like the World Series of cricket, with New Zealand as the hosts.

I'd of loved that. Each year us inviting two teams and getting something different every year! I know if there was, for example France playing Wales at Carisbrook, I'd turn up!

Anyhow, enough of my sad little dream. Go Argentina!!!!

i would be glad to see a super 16 or 17 (1 from jap and arg) , sniff sniff, southern rugby is finally catching up with english premiership standards. so when NZ whopps englands ass they wont have the excuse of southern hem teams playing less

i would be glad to see a super 16 or 17 (1 from jap and arg) , sniff sniff, southern rugby is finally catching up with english premiership standards. so when NZ whopps englands ass they wont have the excuse of southern hem teams playing less
[/b]

Well just make it based on home and away matchs and then you get what there's in Europe.

Latest posts