Argentina set to play Vodacom Cup!

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by Juan VdS, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Juan VdS

Juan VdS Guest

Awesome news!

All we need now is to wait for both unions to arrange the last details and announce it in a press conference. The Jaguars are going to partake in one of the most important competitions in South Africa: the Vodacom Cup.

Argentina would be based in Cape Town, and their "home" games would be hosted at the Danie Craven Stadium in Stellenbosch. Namibia might also be able to field in an extra team to strengthen the tournament.

This is of course huge for Argentine Rugby -- right now the SARU and the UAR are considering the feasibility of getting one of the semifinal games hosted in Argentina, regardless of whether the Jaguars make it to that stage. Being able to welcome players from South Africa and Namibia will boost the sport down here, and we'll probably get full houses in, let's say... Vélez Sársfield, Château Carreras or maybe in "El Gigante de Arroyito".

As if that was not enough, the fact that the Jaguars will get decent game time and a regular competition against South African teams might help them stay in Argentina. This will also make easier for Los Pumas to get in touch with the Super 14, now that there are solid chances of having an Argentine franchise in the foreseeable future.

There is a serious setback that might hinder this from coming into fruition, though: some people in the UAR are reluctant to let the players involved in the Jaguars AND the PlaDAR play their trade down at the local clubs agglomerated within the URBA and the rest of the provincial unions. You know, this goes back to the Amateurism vs Professionalism debate that has been going on forever in Argentina.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Article here (in Spanish).

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Nickdnz

Nickdnz Guest

Very cool, however the call for people to get rid of the S15, and focus on Domestic comp in NZ seems to be popular, I don't care either way, and I hope Argentina the best.

4. bates

bates Guest

Great news, this can take the compitition to a higher level. Altho I do have some questions about this.

The implentation of a Argentina team in the SA compitition is really good as both countries have really talented players but if e.g some SA teams to attract players for their S14 teams will this mean those players are/ aren't allowed to play international games, like eg the NZ players who cant play for the AB when playing in the NH?

Is there a chance NZ and AUS will allow other teams to join there comp as well, I'm thinking about the Pacific Islands ( Tonga, Fiji, Samoa ,...)?

5. Boggle

Boggle Guest

But why the Vodacom cup ?
    :(

6. Steve-o

Steve-o Guest

Perhaps for a test run? The Currie Cup is of a high standard. I think it's a good move, and at the very least a move of some sort!

7. Juan VdS

Juan VdS Guest

Having the Jaguars join the Currie Cup like cold turkey would be utterly suicidal and demoralizing. The standard there is too high at the moment for the Jaguars -- please take into account they are one step ahead of teams like Canada, Namibia and the USA, not Ireland, France, etc.

To me it sounds like a technical and psychological warm-up for them, like some sort of introduction to international Rugby. The Jaguars are getting top notch training, but they live like amateurs. The iRB pays them +/- 3000 pesos per month and that's barely 900 dollars. I know for a fact that all of them work and study (I am close to Esteban Bustillo, who works for my family and is coursing Law School with me).

Anyway, as Steve just said, this is a key move for the transition between domestic amateur Rugby and professional Rugby, and I hope the Jaguars will live up to the hype. :)

8. jacovw

jacovw Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juan VdS @ Oct 28 2009, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    This Is awesome and a great move since many of their top players may not be able to play (i imagine) and thus it would be good to start at VC level and move up if they could. Great news

9. Juan VdS

Juan VdS Guest

For Argentina to join the Four Nations it is mandatory that all first-choice players get included into the squad. I've checked the situation of Los Pumas contract-wise and all of them (the sole exception being Felipe Contepomi) will be free by the end of 2011 which ultimately allows them to join SH clubs, and become completely available for the 4N.

The Jaguars programme aims to groom the future Pumas. If they get top notch training and conditioning in Argentina, they'll no longer have to think of Europe as the only way out of amateurism. The long-term plan is to have a fully-fledged Argentine domestic competition, 1 or 2 Super 14 franchises, and all of Los Pumas playing down here.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!