International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
150702054606264782.jpg

150214052444249425.jpg

So far, these are the 16 players recruited by the UAR to play the Super Rugby Season 2016:

1 Martín Landajo (Scrum-Half)
2 Guido Petti Pagadizábal (Second row)
3 Pablo Matera (Loose forward)
4 Rodrigo Báez (Loose forward)
5 Matías Alemanno (Second row)
6 Facundo Isa (Loose forward)
7 Jerónimo De la Fuente (Centre)
8 Manuel Montero (Wing)
9 Tomás Lezana (Loose forward)
10 Tomás Cubelli (Scrum-Half)
11 Javier Ortega Desio (Loose forward)
12 Gabriel Ascárate (Centre)
13 Matías Orlando (Centre)
14 Santiago González Iglesias (Fly-Half)
15 Ramiro Moyano (Fullback)
16 Lucas Noguera Paz (Prop)

These players signed by the entire 2015 season and could extend their contracts next year:

17 Matias Diaz (Prop)
18 Santiago Iglesias Valdéz (Hooker)
19 Julián Montoya (Hooker)

Last edited:
A few familiar names to me, what level of rugby are most these guys playing Conrad? Are there any locally based players in the squad?

A few familiar names to me, what level of rugby are most these guys playing Conrad? Are there any locally based players in the squad?

They play for Pampas XV squad, they beat all Aussies Super Rugby A sides last year to win the Pacific Rugby Cup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Pacific_Rugby_Cup

150215124515648738.jpg

Also some of these guys like: Martin Landajo, Guido Petti, Facundo Isa, Javier Ortega Desio, Tomás Cubelli, Manuel Montero, Santiago González Iglesias, Tomás Lezana and Lucas Noguera Paz beat France in the last Spring tour in Paris

Players who have stated they won't sign:

Juan Martín Fernández Lobbe
Marcos Ayerza
Any others?

Marcelo Bosch

Will they sign for any other SR franchises so they can play for the Pumas?

I think the Pumas will suffer from this selection policy, it's too early to just give the players an ultimatum, especially those tied up in contract. I appreciate how they're taking the team and competition seriously, but they will miss out on valuable players from the NH and what they bring to the Pumas.

It could work in favour though, some combinations will strengthen as the players will play with each other constantly.

Will they sign for any other SR franchises so they can play for the Pumas?

I think the Pumas will suffer from this selection policy, it's too early to just give the players an ultimatum, especially those tied up in contract. I appreciate how they're taking the team and competition seriously, but they will miss out on valuable players from the NH and what they bring to the Pumas.

It could work in favour though, some combinations will strengthen as the players will play with each other constantly.

Most of the top class players at NH are +30, so they aren't a big loss for the UAR

it a good start to get Argentina a foot on the laddar to professionalism , Pampa XV have been competitive and successful and wouldn't suprise me if the new Argentinian Super side does just as well too , hopefully in future they can put a second team out eventually when they able to

Good news!

Juan Martin Hernandez and Juan Leguizamon have signed with the Argentina Super Rugby's franchise!

Watch out!!! :D
Does the 'franchise' have a name and base yet?

What do u mean by "base"? Location? Stadium?

The UAR doesn't show the name yet, I would like: "Pampas XV" or something like that

Last edited:
Good news!

Juan Martin Hernandez and Juan Leguizamon have signed with the Argentina Super Rugby's franchise!

Watch out!!! :D

What do u mean by "base"? Location? Stadium?

The UAR doesn't show the name yet, I would like: "Pampas XV" or something like that

I saw that Leguiz signed. Great news on JMH. He might not be as impactful as in ~2007 but is still a good player to have around the squad for depth and experience. He'd still be a step up from the type of play-makers half of the teams in SR have a their disposal.

Pity the name isn't up yet though I think you don't want to start the hype and then let t die down over the holidays. There'll probably be a marketing 'push' leading up to tournament only start of next year I'd imagine.

I was wanting to know if you knew whether the team will be playing in one particular place or moving about stadia in the country?

I wonder if Argentina having a Super Rugby team , will eventually have a foot in the door for some Uruguay players to sign, could eventually lead to some Professionalism in Uruguay rugby.

Los Jaguares...

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]...Is the name of the new Argentinean franchise - they will be coached by Felipe Contepomi and be based in Buenos Aires.

[/FONT]

Soooo.... will Argentina 'A' still be the Jaguars too? They're really running out of cats.

Still, good on Contepomi. I hope he does well in the role.

It seems to me though that, with them signing up so many players, there isn't much distinction between this side and the national team. It's essentially the full senior Argentina team playing in Super Rugby. Look at the squad yourselves:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_Super_Rugby_team#Current_squad. I don't think there's anything wrong with that though. It's just... interesting...

Nice. Re-instating the name of the South American team that toured South Africa back in the 1980's

I hope they give a nod to that team with their jersey

1616137_150215150320_DSC00069.JPG

Coming soon - The New Argentinian team "Los Short-haired Tabby"

I would like yaguaretés better: more unpronounceable for the anglosaxons.

I have the same thought on the players' policy: we cannot have the same team for pumas and for jaguares, it's utterly ridiculous. If we do well people will say we have too much advantage (what would happen if ABs AUS or SA did the same?) and if we do bad they'll laugh at us.

Also don't like Contepomi as coach, what's his experience and achievments as coach? huh? HUH?

yeah, i'm interested in what colours they choose etc...the last few teams have picked shades of blue...we have enough blue teams!

funny you should say you're worried it will look like you have an advantage if it looks like you have a national team playing, we had a similar thing with the warriors in the NRL but i was always more worried when we lost games it looked like our national team wasn't as good as aussie club teams

Last edited:

Latest posts