TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
henrygraham_2670763.jpg

World Cup-winning All Blacks coach Graham Henry has been awarded with a knighthood in New Zealand's New Year's Honours list.

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12321/7402792/

Good for him, but I think that there are far too many people awarded knighthoods.

Cosmetic things, but yeah, they should encapsulate something more than doing your country proud, for things like unwavering service to help and aid others and such things.

Anyways, good for him.

Good for him, but I think that there are far too many people awarded knighthoods.

Cosmetic things, but yeah, they should encapsulate something more than doing your country proud, for things like unwavering service to help and aid others and such things.

Anyways, good for him.

In my mind I think it's well earned. If any sports people should be knighted, then he's certainly up there.

I have no problem with people getting knighted who are the best of their craft.

As above, as far as sporting people go he's up there with deserving one - if Geech can get one then Henry should too

Good for him

In my mind I think it's well earned. If any sports people should be knighted, then he's certainly up there.

I have no problem with people getting knighted who are the best of their craft.

Aye, should sports people be Knighted he definitely deserves one.

Just think there is not enough distinction between people who spend their entire lives doing charity work, improving the lives of desperate people and saving lives with those awarded knight-hoods for things like sport. Not that the former people would care if they weren't awarded (and I am not saying sporting people would complain if they didn't get one)

You know, the kind of in 200 years a person is having a look through some meuseum, there is a list of all the people whom have been knighted in New Zealand, and there is Sir Graham Henry, lead the All Blacks to *insert achievements* and helped develop New Zealand rugby, below that is Jane Smith who left NZ at the end of school to do charity work saving lives and stuff with the Red Cross in South-East Asia for 50 years before succumbing to a local disease.

Ona slightly relevant note, Chris Paterson notes his surprise at being awarded an MBE http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/16364925.stm

As I said, well done to Graham... Sir Graham that is.

I sorta buy what you mean LH, as there is a difference between a selfless act to help others and the pursuit of one's own enjoyment, but never underestimate the joy and inspiration sporting success gives others.

Besides, the notion that Honours are given to people who represent their country notably and with great success is well established, regardless of field - which Sir Graham did.

The people who get awarded that annoy me, are actually people who are awarded knighthood for buisness. I mean fair enough if they're give millions to charity or provided a revolutionary public service which has improved millions of lives, but a lot of buisnessmen get it just for being successful and getting rich, which seems in itself the reward. Things like sports and theatre deserves that kind of honour more in my opinion.

The people who get awarded that annoy me, are actually people who are awarded knighthood for buisness. I mean fair enough if they're give millions to charity or provided a revolutionary public service which has improved millions of lives, but a lot of buisnessmen get it just for being successful and getting rich and giving big fat donations to political parties, which seems in itself the reward. Things like sports and theatre deserves that kind of honour more in my opinion.

Edited for additional cynicism.

I an only imagine how many Americans from the US of A would be knighted if they did it.

Latest posts