• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Armitage for England/Lions

D

danny

Went to London Irish vs Glaws on sat and saw one of the most awesome displays of openside play I have ever seen. Steffon Armitage the Irish 7 was quite magnificent at winning the ball on the deck and wreaking havoc in Gloucesters defence every time he had the ball in his hands. I know this is only one game I have seen the guy live in but he is sooo talented he must be worth a shot, any comments from those in the know???

A lot of Irish fans are tipping him and Delon to start for England in the 6N.
Bit premature to say he has a shot for the Lions though...

I said for the last 2 years that Delon should be tried at 15 for England. After his AI performance, plus Abendanon's continued inability to tackle, I've been proved right.

Steffon I certainly think should make his debut in the 6N. Earned a place. Turned into a quality 7 and although I think Rees is one of the few players to have performed in an England shirt, Armitage definately deserves a shot. Maybe we could do what they did with Hill and play one of them at 6.

I agree with Speedy though, he has to play well for England before he's considered for the Lions. I have to be consistent and there are a whole host of players who people are bigging up that are yet to prove themselves at international level (Fitzgerald, Kearney, Simpson-Daniel, Halfpenny, etc.) all of whom I agree have great potential but I really think Lions players have to be the tip top from the 4 international teams; not from the 22 club sides.

Is he (Steffon) capable of playing blindside? Because I think removing Tom Rees would be a massive mistake.

Who are the other players that England can pick of for the no.7 jersey execpt Rees and Armitage?Is Pat Sanderson and Lewis Moody still options for England or are they "has-beens" ?

EDIT:Oops I forgot about Lipman

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Dec 26 2008, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Moody is more a "never-has been".[/b]
:lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol:

Who would you say is the current inform no.7 in England at the moment Teh Mite?

All I know about him is that he is from the Harlequins (Thanks to my roster editing :D ).

Is he more of an attacking ball-carrier or a fetcher or both?

He's a good all rounder. Probably not the best natural talent we have, but his work rate alone is worth his weight in gold.

Okay,well they can pick him or Armitage or Rees for England and/or The Lions but they will still get <strike>b</strike>eaten up by Schalk Burger ;) come the International season next year and the Lions tour

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Dec 26 2008, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Okay,well they can pick him or Armitage or Rees for England and/or The Lions but they will still get <strike>b</strike>eaten up by Schalk Burger ;) come the International season next year and the Lions tour[/b]

I wouldn't be so sure, I reckon 7 (or 6 in South Africa) is one of the few areas the Lions will have real parity in.

Maybe not but I can't see any Lions back-row overpower the Springboks back-row:

6.Burger/Daniel/Brussouw
7.Juan Smith/Deysel/Botes
8.Kankowski/Spies/Rossouw/Koster

and those are only a few names of back-row fowards the Springboks can field

Granted, there are some immense players there. Especially at eight man.

The Lions will probably have;

6. Jones/Haskell/Leamy
7. Rees/Wallace/Williams
8. Powell/Easter

While it is certain that Haskell will go, I would debate whether or not the whining little cry baby deserves to. Probyn and Blackett can't watch his back in J-berg.

If I was the coach of the Lions, the best back-row I would pick would be:

6.Jason White (maybe a bit old but still tackles like a mad man,the best opponent for Burger I feel)
7.Williams or Rees (play one in the one test and the other one the other test)
8.Simon Taylor or Nick Easter (maybe Powell)

Latest posts