• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Article about Rugby fans' attitudes to football

oustanding contribution mate, top class. :D

Thank you, mate!

Just be prepared for the war you just started with this thread.

Fanboys are going to crawl out of their holes/caves/dungeons and just cause a ****storm...

I think this is the 5th Rugby vs. Football thread I've seen on the forum in the last 2 years, all it's predecessors had the same outcome...

it's not actually a rugby vs football thread mate, the article is about not comparing them, and about Rugby people not getting on their high horse - which was the discussion in the England thread.

Yeah I 100% agree with this, I've heard Nigel Owens talk about it when he is asked to talk about lack of respect towards ref in Football and he always talks about our lack of a moral high ground and it is spot on true. Big part of this, in England especially, is classism that game of thugs played by gentlemen nonsense. Football was for long time the working mans game (virtually an everyman's game now) and we know the stereotype (not exactly unearned) of an English rugby fan. Rugby is assumed to be fairer and superior in morals, yet one sport constantly glamourises 'the good old days' of fights and foul play and it isn't football.

it's not actually a rugby vs football thread mate, the article is about not comparing them, and about Rugby people not getting on their high horse - which was the discussion in the England thread.

So change the ***le from that then

Quite right too. Speaking as an old before my time, massive nerd, Rugby Football vs Association Football would be far more appropriate!

I like the thrust of the article though, although there are elements of it that I could pick at.

I'm surprised to hear the comments attributed to Nigel Owens above, some of his sound bites are exactly the kind of thing that adds fuel to this silly fire.

There is much I find distasteful about soccer, but these days, the elements I find distasteful about rugby are on the increase, so I try to refrain from the holier than thou comments at least until such a time as World Rugby put their house in order.

feel free to change it if it bothers you so much, but it's an accurate ***le even though it's not about "rugby vs football" but about the constant putting down and comparisons tat go on.

Read the article it will make sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quite right too. Speaking as an old before my time, massive nerd, Rugby Football vs Association Football would be far more appropriate!

I like the thrust of the article though, although there are elements of it that I could pick at.

I'm surprised to hear the comments attributed to Nigel Owens above, some of his sound bites are exactly the kind of thing that adds fuel to this silly fire.

There is much I find distasteful about soccer, but these days, the elements I find distasteful about rugby are on the increase, so I try to refrain from the holier than thou comments at least until such a time as World Rugby put their house in order.

well this is it, and was kind of the crux of my post in the england thread.

feel free to change it if it bothers you so much, but it's an accurate ***le even though it's not about "rugby vs football" but about the constant putting down and comparisons tat go on.

Read the article it will make sense.

- - - Updated - - -

well this is it, and was kind of the crux of my post in the england thread.

I will be don't worry.

Strange I always found football fans etc think themselves superior to any sport. This tends to show itself quite acutely when the subject of ground sharing comes along. Listening to radio phone ins etc it's clear that when rugby and football clubs share grounds the football fans always feel like the senior partners and demand they should always take priority. Remember the problem sale had with Stockport county and Nottingham had with notts county. Wasps brought the richo and the Coventry fans went mad at work . How dare a bunch of egg chasers own their ground. That should have been given to Coventry city ! I did point out to them that they had the chance to buy it and if Coventry city had managed themselves better they would have been in position to buy it but they look at you like you have a second head, they honestly cannot comprehend why the world shouldn't revolve around them. Also a few years ago several of us went to a pub in Nottingham for a bit of an all day affair and there happened to be sevens on the tv. We were sat watching it enjoying a pint when 3 football fans came in and demanded not asked demanded the barman changed the channel because some game was on. The bar man who we had been having a laugh with refused saying that group of rugby players over there were watching it. One of them turned round and actually said "turning this **** off lads there's a proper game on" to which our tight head prop suggested that he might want to leave the pub while he still had a head on his shoulders, again they honestly believed the whole world revolved around there sport. It's very arrogant and gets right up my nose.

Strange I always found football fans etc think themselves superior to any sport. This tends to show itself quite acutely when the subject of ground sharing comes along. Listening to radio phone ins etc it's clear that when rugby and football clubs share grounds the football fans always feel like the senior partners and demand they should always take priority. Remember the problem sale had with Stockport county and Nottingham had with notts county. Wasps brought the richo and the Coventry fans went mad at work . How dare a bunch of egg chasers own their ground. That should have been given to Coventry city ! I did point out to them that they had the chance to buy it and if Coventry city had managed themselves better they would have been in position to buy it but they look at you like you have a second head, they honestly cannot comprehend why the world shouldn't revolve around them. Also a few years ago several of us went to a pub in Nottingham for a bit of an all day affair and there happened to be sevens on the tv. We were sat watching it enjoying a pint when 3 football fans came in and demanded not asked demanded the barman changed the channel because some game was on. The bar man who we had been having a laugh with refused saying that group of rugby players over there were watching it. One of them turned round and actually said "turning this **** off lads there's a proper game on" to which our tight head prop suggested that he might want to leave the pub while he still had a head on his shoulders, again they honestly believed the whole world revolved around there sport. It's very arrogant and gets right up my nose.

Remember that story from before... Football is huge, we all know that, so the lowest common denominator is prevalent in its fans, but rugby is not exempt from its idiots and bigots (as we see only to well on these forums).

I love the camaraderie of rugby, and the extended family ethos but it's the constant self righteousness of rugby fans compared to football is what I find a bit hard to stomach.

Honestly I care very little for football, like playing it never watch it, so I don't really get why we constantly have to compare our sport to it.

Not sure that makes sense..

Honestly I care very little for football, like playing it never watch it, so I don't really get why we constantly have to compare our sport to it.

Because it's a very good example of what happens when a sport doesn't actively work to prevent things like diving, dissent and any other obvious failings.

Because it's a very good example of what happens when a sport doesn't actively work to prevent things like diving, dissent and any other obvious failings.

That's very different to what were discussing though.

The governing body are not the ones doing the them < than us stuff.

In fact if anything the governing bodies and clubs are the ones taking more from football than anything, marketing, competitions, professionalism.

G10 think on this. Football as a sport is in your face constantly. The papers , the tv any radio sports show is totally dominated by football. When a major tournament is on if you dont take a mad keen interest you are somehow not patriotic. It's only natural and right that some People get fed up of this and try and find something better and behave superior when they do.

G10 think on this. Football as a sport is in your face constantly. The papers , the tv any radio sports show is totally dominated by football. When a major tournament is on if you dont take a mad keen interest you are somehow not patriotic. It's only natural and right that some People get fed up of this and try and find something better and behave superior when they do.

Finally someone gets to the heart of it... We're jealous. :)