• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

ARU Allows Foreign Players in S14

J

j1mb0

Taken from FoxSports website today, it looks like the ARU will be allowing two foreign players per Australian Super 14 team, as long as the teams prove that they are developing young players in that position, so as not to weaken Australian rugby.

Carter could play for Waratahs

By Iain Payten

July 30, 2008

DAN Carter in a New South Wales jersey could be a reality within two years following a historic decision by the Australian Rugby Union to throw open the doors to foreign stars in the Super 14.

In a move designed to combat cashed-up rugby competitions in France and Britain, the ARU has agreed in principle to allow non-Australian marquee players to play for NSW, Queensland, the Brumbies and the Western Force as soon as 2010.

The move will signal the end of the strict ARU eligibility policy, held for the majority of the professional era, that states only footballers eligible to play for Australia can represent Australian provinces.

The details of the marquee system are yet to be finalised but it is understood the proposal awaiting official board ratification next month would allow two foreign players per team, who would not fall under the ARU's Super 14 salary cap.

One could be a fully fledged marquee star - such as Carter, Brian O'Driscoll or Jonny Wilkinson - who plays for another Test nation and is keen to play in Australia.

This player would be limited to a two-year contract and could be paid on a par with the ARU's top stars like Lote Tuqiri, if the province can generate the finances for his salary.

Asked if he would be interested in playing in an Australian Super rugby province, Crusaders and All Blacks star Carter said he would consider the idea.

"It is not something I have thought much about but I guess so," Carter said while in Sydney last week.

"Obviously you are born and bred in certain areas and have real connections between your home teams. It is always tough to leave that.

"But in the professional game these things can happen. It is something you'd have to look at, the positives and negatives, if that was the case."

Australia remains one of the few countries in the world that strictly demands its players to stay at home to play Test rugby. South Africa and New Zealand (in the case of Carter) have in recent years opened the doors for foreign-based players to return for Tests.

Provinces signing a star like Carter however, must prove to the ARU they are developing youngsters at five-eighth or in the same positions so as not to weaken the future of Australian rugby and the Wallabies.

The proposed second foreign player allowed would even be a player still able to be converted into a Wallaby - a player who has not yet represented his country at a senior level, such as in a Test, A or sevens side.

You know that you're bored when you spend your time formatting problems in posted topic articles. Looks pretty now though. :p

As for the topic, it's decent enough, with limits of course...I await to see how it works before it happens. Carl Hayman playing for the Force in 2010, can't wait!

It's definitely a good idea. SARU did this awhile ago and now we've got players like BEAST, Mujati and Chavhanga in our ranks.

haha yeah thanks for that, I wasn't me sure how to get rid of all that...

As for the article, I reckon it's about time that they're allowing foreign players in, I think that it could really add to the competition, especially now that they're expanding the finals and with the possible addition of new teams in the coming years.

Another thing that I like about it is the fact that teams must prove that they're developing their own players for the positions that they're importing players for, so it can't just be an easy way out for a team lacking for example a quality five eight.

So would it be a little bit like the NRL? where Aussie NRL teams have some NZ players (like international players..) and the Warriors have some aussie players?

That wouldn't be too bad i suppose... as long as they're still with the NZRU lol

So would it be a little bit like the NRL? where Aussie NRL teams have some NZ players (like international players..) and the Warriors have some aussie players?

That wouldn't be too bad i suppose... as long as they're still with the NZRU lol[/b]
Where else were the Kiwi's going to play before the formation of the Warriors?

It'll be like the Sharks being able to field someone like Frederik Michelak, which would be a massive draw card for a team like the Reds, and would stir up some extra interest hopefully put some extra bums on seats, which is what they're really after.

Now we need the ARU and the NZRU to step up and say that you can be selected for you nation so long as you're in the super 14. It would certainly be a huge shake up to the competition.

Finally!

I think this is a win-win situation really.

Players from Argentina and the Pacific Islands can earn their money here and be free to play for their countries come test time. And in return the Australian teams could wind up with some real tight-head props. :D

I think a nice idea would be to temp a small number of players every year from around the world on one year contracts. Kind of like an invitational draft of some kind, make it known to those who want to try something new that they could be considered to play for a S14 team. It'd certainly add a bit of pizzaz and mystique to the Australian S14 teams I think.

I think this is a good idea. I've always liked the idea of northern hemisphere players going down south and playing a few seasons their. It would be an experience.

****, I didn't know there was a ban on foreign players - just assumed you guys were too poor to afford decent playe ... oh wait, you do have decent players.

Seriously, that ban is just stooooopid. Give fans what they want to see.

And it might help spread the Pacific island love a little wider than NZ.

Seriously, that ban is just stooooopid. Give fans what they want to see.[/b]
Why would we want to see NH players in the Super 14 when all the best players play here anyway?

<div class='quotemain'>
Seriously, that ban is just stooooopid. Give fans what they want to see.[/b]
Why would we want to see NH players in the Super 14 when all the best players play here anyway? [/b][/quote]

:cheers: :rolleyes:

I think this is a good idea. I've always liked the idea of northern hemisphere players going down south and playing a few seasons their. It would be an experience. [/b]

Yeah, it appears to me like its a kind of invatational set up that they're proposing. That would be awesome for players in the NH, Argentina, etc who want a change of scene for a season or two.

Imagine Australia snapping up a couple of red hot Japanese wingers? Endo would be so awesome in a league like the S14. Incredibly fast, agile and such a good finisher. Like an oriental Shane Williams, that'd be enough to send a shiver down the spines of every rugby fan in South Africa.

Latest posts