ARU pull O'Connor's Contract

Gavin

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Former Soviet Union
Club or Nation
Barbarians
If he was go go anywhere in Europe (Toulon) he'll have a heck of a lot of baggage and work to do not letting his growing rep for off feild incidents tarnish his talent

No surprise. He's been a real prat lately.

I suppose this is why pretty boys shouldn't play rugby. ;)

das

His dad seems really full of himself.

Yeah, he's a complete douchbag and was largely responsible for the Western Force withdrawing their offer of a contract a few years ago. As for JOC, he'll probably resign with the Western Force. They are the only Australian S15 side willing to negotiate with him. If that falls through then France, definitely not Japan.

The guy is a prize prick, and worse, he has been a disruptive influence everywhere he has been.

I wouldn't have him in any team I was coaching.

Yeah, he's a complete douchbag and was largely responsible for the Western Force withdrawing their offer of a contract a few years ago. As for JOC, he'll probably resign with the Western Force. They are the only Australian S15 side willing to negotiate with him. If that falls through then France, definitely not Japan.

Why would you say not Japan, to me it seems like a good option for him, less media attention and a pay check that will likely be similar to his current one. He splayed his best rugby at the Force so I think I'd like to see him there.

He may still play in australia, however will be earning pennies.

Why would you say not Japan, to me it seems like a good option for him, less media attention and a pay check that will likely be similar to his current one. He splayed his best rugby at the Force so I think I'd like to see him there.

Japan seems to be the place to go when you're nearing retirement, decent $$ and a comp that perhaps isn't as tough and competitive as S15. I'd imagine he still yearns to play rugby at the highest possible level, so he would most likely stay in Australia, take a massive pay cut and play for the Force. He's only 23, he would be foolish to give up his international career at such a young age.

Do you think this will humble him a bit, enough so that he gets his act together and starts acting responsibly? Or will he just keep getting worse until he crashes and burns?

das

Do you think this will humble him a bit, enough so that he gets his act together and starts acting responsibly? Or will he just keep getting worse until he crashes and burns?

das

Surley by now he would reliase hes not a teenager any more and that his actions do in fact have consequences.
Hes been praised since he was 15 that he was going to be great, so he has taken his status for granted. He now has to reliase hes on the big stage and is accoutable for himself. If this isnt a wake up call for him then hes too ignorant to be a professional sportsmen.

Surley by now he would reliase hes not a teenager any more and that his actions do in fact have consequences.
Hes been praised since he was 15 that he was going to be great, so he has taken his status for granted. He now has to reliase hes on the big stage and is accoutable for himself. If this isnt a wake up call for him then hes too ignorant to be a professional sportsmen.

I totally agree.

He reminds me of these Hollywood kids like Lindsey Lohan and Miley Cyrus who go all sorts of crazy after they hit 18 because for the first time in their lives they feel like they're in control of their image, when in reality they're totally out of control.

I hope this figuratively smacks some sense into his head. He's a good little player - something Australia really needs right now - and it would be a shame to see him just pizz it all away. (Of course, it may be THAT pressure that's making him act like a jerkwad at the moment.)

das

Japan seems to be the place to go when you're nearing retirement, decent $$ and a comp that perhaps isn't as tough and competitive as S15. I'd imagine he still yearns to play rugby at the highest possible level, so he would most likely stay in Australia, take a massive pay cut and play for the Force. He's only 23, he would be foolish to give up his international career at such a young age.

I agree that isn't really conventional for a a 23 year old to head off to Japan but i think that it would just end up being more beneficial to him. The less media attention there would help him. Along with that the culture is fairly different and I suspect that it would help him cop on, for a lack of a a better term. For example the teams bow to the crowd when a game is finished I reckon a year of bowing to the crowd would do him some good. I'm not saying I want him gone forever I think he's one of the most talented players around but unfortunately so dose he.

I know he's trouble but i'd have him at the gardens, brilliant player and someone who will settle down with time.

I can't see him coming to the Northern Hemisphere. There hasn't been any noticeable interest from France, where you'd expect him to go, and the idea of him coming to the Premiership and spending cold, rainy winter evenings at Welfors Road or the Gardens just doesn't seem right considering what we know about his character.

Is he a prick, or is he just a normal 23 year old? He got drunk a few times, but don't we all. Fact of the matter is he has been in professional rugby since he was 17 and probably missed out on what all his other friends were doing in their late teens, early 20s. It is not as if he hasn't been performing on the field, in fact he has probably been one of Australia's best players, but due to his off-field behavior he has been sacked.

He's a prick.

Yep. I've never refused entry into an aeroplane because I was acting like a drunk prick. The whole 'society is to blame' approach or 'isn't he like any other young 20 year old' - makes me think I must be pretty damn special.

I agree that he's acting like a normal 23 year old, unfortunately hes not a normal 23 year old and it's up to him and around him to deal with that.

Latest posts