• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Asian Players?

Aedaphon

Bench Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Barbarians
As a (half) Asian rugby enthusiast I was curious if people knew many players of Asian descent playing for Tier 1 nations/clubs in Tier 1 nations? (And by that I meant East Asian- not South Asian.

The only two I can think of off the top of my head are:

-Francois Trinh-Duc (1/4 Vietnamese and one of my few sources of Vietnamese pride...)
-Gareth Delve (1/2 Chinese)

Anyone know any more?

Obviously a little bit back in the day but the Underwood brothers - superb players, 1/4 Chinese, 1/4 Malaysian (I think? If I remember correctly they've an English father and a half Chinese half Malaysian mother)

Nathan Hirayama is half asian(I believe Japanese is the asian heritage), playing for Canada, in both 7's and 15's although obviously we are a tier two country.

Hah, I was curious about Tier 2 nations as well, but then realized that included Japan.

I've found surprisingly few players who are in my time watching and playing the game

Not Union but the upcoming Shaun Johnson for the NZ Warriors? Otherwise i don't think there's any others than the two you've mentioned. But have a look at him on youtube, he's great to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rod Davies from the QLD Reds is Filipino

Chris O'Young formerly of the Western Force is Chinese.

Not Union but the upcoming Shaun Johnson for the NZ Warriors? Otherwise i don't think there's any others than the two you've mentioned. But have a look at him on youtube, he's great to watch.

What makes you think he's Asian?

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a Asian player last season for the Wellington Lions that played lock, they had to bring him out from the wider training squad because we had heaps of injuries. I can't remember his name but he was good.

He's half Laotian/NZ European.

394-intredasting.png

Brian Moore had a Malaysian father (Moore was the name of the adoptive family).

Done some more research, AJ Gilbert, formerly contracted with the Reds now playing club rugby with Southern Districts in Sydney is Filipino

I'm sure there'll be plenty about, even if they aren't fully Asian. I can only speak for Britain, but East Asians haven't had a massive impact on our major sports - compare Africans in rugby, formerly in cricket, massively in football and especially athletics; and South Asians in cricket.

But I don't know if countries like Australia have the same cultural/ racial stereotypes. Their women's rugby captain was Asian i seem to remember.

Cheryl Soon is Asian but has NZ roots as well. she no longer plays I believe. She's settling down to have a baby etc.

I once read an article that claimed that in 20 years time India would be one of the top forces in World Rugby. I think it was in rugbyworld but I'm not sure.

However an Indian doctor friend of mine reckons that most Indians don't have an anatomical setup needed for rugby - from what he was saying it wasn't such an issue of size but more of agility and pace.

I'm not sure but either way I wouldn't fancy playing much over there, the ground would be rock solid and it would be way too hot! Trinh-Duc the French 10 is of Vietnamese descent isn't he?

Last edited:
John Barclay and Graeme Morrison were born in Hong Kong.

Obviously not of Asian stock, but yi ken...

Tosh Masson, formerly of Quins, is Indian.

I once read an article that claimed that in 20 years time India would be one of the top forces in World Rugby. I think it was in rugby world. However an Indian doctor friend of mine reckons that most Indians don't have an anatomical setup needed for rugby. I'm not sure but either way I wouldn't fancy playing much over there, the ground would be rock solid! Trinh-Duc the French 10 is of Vietnamese descent isn't he?

Dunno about that. I've met a lot of stocky Indians.

There was a Sri Lankan kid at my school who combined being one of the biggest kids in our year with being surprisingly quick. We played him at prop or 8, which I think says everything about him. Think he spent some time trying to get into a major Sri Lankan side at home too. His little brother was even bigger.

Agreed on the South Asian thing, one of the best 8s my school's 1sts Xv ever had was fully indian, and the few South Asian guys that do play are all pretty bulky.

Although having said that, has there ever been a professional South Asian rugby player for a big side?

Do the Kobe Steelers in Japan count? They have Hrishikesh Pendse, a back rower. Also, I believe that the NZ Warriors academy (in rugby league) have an Afghan, forgot the name though.

has there ever been a professional South Asian rugby player for a big side?

Rod Davies from the QLD Reds is half Filipino (from what I was told his mum is filipino) and he played a bit of a huge role this year in their premiership winning season

Latest posts