Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Owen

First XV
Country Flag
Samoa
Club or Nation
Blues
Hey Tom let me begin by saying your a fantastic player and an exciting one to watch.

Have you ever thought about trying to get into a Super Rugby team?...living in the southren hemisphere for a wee-while?...

I have two questions for Tom, either one can be used.

1) On the forum there is a lot of talk about the speed of wingers, who is the quickest winger whom you have played with or against.

2) Do you have a favourite try?

/blogbanners/questionsfortom.png

We are proud to announce that we have secured an interview with the Wasps Winger Tom Varndell. All we need now is your questions for Tom, which we will then put to him and give you his responses.

This is the first in a series of interviews that we will be doing over the next couple of months. We will announce more as the time goes on.

So make sure you get your questions in as soon as possible, we can't guarantee every question will be asked but we will pick the best, the funniest and the weirdest questions.

Click here to post your question

As a young rugby player in the Pacific Islands (I alternate between Fiji, Solomons and Vanuatu), the brand of rugby that is played is very loose and focused on an individual players footwork and speed (as is the nature of the game over here in the islands), I was wondering for a professional player of your level which is the hardest to defend against?
1) Footwork and average speed?
2) Raw speed?

and which player would you use as an example of your most feared opponent in regards to footwork and speed (current or retired)?
Thank you for your time

Who's the biggest gym freak you know, either from wasps, or england. Who spends the most time doing bicep curls in the mirror. Apart from yourself maybe?

I don't know enough about the guy nto ask questions specifically related to him but I would be interested in hearing his opinions on:

- Which nation/s does he rate as contenders for the upcoming RWC in NZ and why?

- Who, in his personal experience, tackles the most brutally?

- Who would he consider as the fastest winger he has come across and might it be himself?

- A day in rugby he would rather forget and why?

- Which international winger currently playing would he be most concerned about facing off against?

Do you feel that playing for England 7s has helped improve your game for 15s?

Was Mickey Rourke robbed of an Oscar a couple of years ago or did Sean Penn deserve to take the statue home?
Do I look fat in these jeans?
Which is the better Stallone franchise, Rocky or Rambo?
Are wrestling or jujitsu skills more important in MMA?
Do you believe Eamonn Gilmore when he says Labour won't increase income tax for those earning less than €100,000 per year?
Does Enda Kenny look like the Count from Sesame Street?
Did OJ kill his wife?
Do you ever wish you were born a woman?
What's your favourite poem? Recite it please.
What are the winning lotto numbers this weekend?
Will there be a manned mission to Mars within the next 20 years?

Last edited:
Hi, How do you rate the England team this year. Do you think they could make it 3 WC Finals in a row, also if England aren't your favourites, who are? Cheers!

Speed Training

Hey Tom can u tell me the speed training you do because i play flanker nd i have quick acceleration but once i reach my top speed its not quick nd i always get tackled when i make a break.

I have always noticed how your head glistens in the sun, Do you polish it to get such a lovely shine?
On a more serious note did you have to work hard to develop such high speed when sprinting?

What did it feel like to have scored that cheeky try against Irish , Did you apologize to the Fullback for making him look like and utter *** :p

Last edited by a moderator:
and
What is your favourite rugby ground? Parc y Scarlets maybe

Hi Tom,

Which notable changes did you notice throughout your career when it comes to winger qualities, coach drills/ methods?
Which excercices do you find unmissable for improving your skills as a winger or speed in general?
Would you like to share some good tips to work on speed?
May I have a signed jersey :)
Many thanks

Do you have any major regrets in your rugby career? If you could go back and do things differently would you to, say perhaps, have enhanced and progressed your England career?

How do you feel the long seasons affect the players and teams?
Should there be a break in the club matches during international tournaments? (Autumn Internationals, Six Nations?)
Do you feel that the amount of injuries that a player sustains has increased while you have been playing?
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts