• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

At what level is it necessary to pay players?

T

timrugby

Afternoon,

Just wanted to see the general consensus on paying players and at what level it is necessary?

I have heard reports that Tunbridge Juddians have recently (the season!) come into some money and are paying players. Is it really necessary at London SE 2 level? I personally think this takes the enjoyment and pride away from playing for your club and at this level it is surely not needed. We should be putting money into the Mini/Academy progression at our clubs rather than trying to establish an ego boost over fellow clubs at who is best......because lets be honest they are never going to make the top flight of National 2/National 3......or if they do then it wont last.

I am all for private funding in our local clubs, but think the money could be used more efficiently elsewhere......and can't be needed at this level!

Tim

The level doesn't matter what matters is if a team can afford it.

Its costly to pay players for small clubs so they have to find a balance between money going in and out. Premiership soccer clubs like Portsmouth seem to lack the intelligence to understand this concept. Many clubs in league of Ireland soccer have gone bust over the past 5 years too. Not many people go to see LOI soccer. Again not the brightest of people running those clubs. They had to switch from professional to amatur.

I'm sure in some lower leagues you'd have semi pro and amatur teams teams playing against each other. That would be the inbetween (paying and not paying) level.

Its acceptable for me in Wales in Welsh Premiership and the Magners League.

Yet in the division my local club are in Division West 2, the current champions Maesteg have paid their players in a region of £120 a game for the 22 selected and the two travelling reserves. For me the standard is not good enough to get paid to play in. For me its acceptable in the best leagues. If a club wants to do it then all the best but at the end of the day unless your in the top league and earning a good amount of cash for sponsorship, gate, merchandise, bar takings etc then its all well and good but at the end of the day clubs like Maesteg wont learn because they did this before and dropped 2 divisions rapidly.

I think you have to be careful when navigating areas like this..
If you let a kid talk to an agent or hint that he may get some money one day it could go straight to his head.. and then he will come on and brag about it on internet forums.
We don't want that to happen do we?

^ HA!

I would reason that whenever a club is in a position to pay players, and agree to, then they should.
If the player could potentially be working during the game time and earning money then it only makes sense.

Latest posts