• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Attendance Statistics of Eccellenza Regby (Italy)

rasaerba

Academy Player
Country Flag
Italy
Club or Nation
Cavalieri
Looks like the league is losing out now that the country has two clubs in a bigger league. That's a shame considering the sport's growth in the country over the past few years. Good to see an Italian fan on here.

Tell me, why are VeneziaMestre having such an awful season?

Cheers.. Thanks the Thread Rasaerbas.

Been looking for ages on some crowd stats on the Italian scene...

Like the guy said above.. Attendance has taken a drop with Treviso and Viadana gone.. But the crowds for the Italians in the Magners are higher then the scottish!

Anyways...any word on the crowd attendance for the Playoffs?

<table x:str="" style="border-collapse: collapse; table-layout: fixed; width: 1047px; height: 23px;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr style="height: 11.25pt;" height="15"><td colspan="4" class="xl24" style="">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Last edited:
I'm a little disappointed with the down grading of the Italian Premiership. Even though I understand Treviso and Aironi being in the Celtic League will make Italian rugby better, in the short run, I also feel that their inclusion undermines, just not the Celtic League, but the European cup.
When I was in Italy last summer I watched a cup game on T.V. and it was pretty good with a decent crowd but it's just a shame that the league is seen as the forgotten child. I don't think personally that the inclusion of the Italian teams into the Celtic league is a long term solution and in reality is only a gap filler. The 15/30 million euros, or however much they paid, I forget now, that both teams payed to get into the league could of been spent so much better on the league, teams and attracting big names to their league, which would up standards.
I think in a perfect world I would love to see both Italian Celtic teams back in Italy playing in the top tier of Italian rugby, the Eccellenza, using their money to bring big names back and publicize their league, and the Russians getting involved in the European cup. Rome wasn't built in a day and if Italian rugby wants to achieve in European rugby and international rugby build from home.
I having a rant day, sorry.
Anyone agree or disagree?? And question for rasaerba. is the Eccellenza fully pro or semi pro now??

Last edited:
I don't think there was enough money or interest to sustain a professional Italian league, and I think the players from Treviso and Aironi, players such as Semenzato, Barbieri, Benvenuti will benefit more playing against challenging teams each week rather than just playing weaker Italian teams.

I can only presume that the there was enough money and interest for the Italian premiership, as Italy was sustaining the league, I think, from 2000-01. But like I said i'm only presuming. Just to reiterate my point, I do believe that the Italians playing in the Celtic league will up standards of Italian rugby, and give players like Semenzato, Barbieri, Benvenuti a better environment to play in, but I feel it is only a short term solution and that in the long run it would be more beneficial for Italy to have it's own primer competition based in Italy. With proper investment and patience Italy could have a massive pool of players to select from.

They want to grow the game in Italy and the road they're going down now is the best option IMO. Make the national team strong and have two strong representatives in the HEC and ML and with a bit of success it'll generate a good feeling towards rugby which will help to grow the game. They could have left things the way they were and hoped their league would eventually grow like the French league did but it took the French many decades to just win a 5 nations match.

Having 2 teams will also allow them play all their best players at a higher level and allow them set up academies.

The 2 Italian teams have gotten great crowds this season considering its their first season and especially considering they're near the bottom of the league. Crowds will grow once they become more competitive and new rugby fans will come along.

They want to grow the game in Italy and the road they're going down now is the best option IMO. Make the national team strong and have two strong representatives in the HEC and ML and with a bit of success it'll generate a good feeling towards rugby which will help to grow the game. They could have left things the way they were and hoped their league would eventually grow like the French league did but it took the French many decades to just win a 5 nations match.

Having 2 teams will also allow them play all their best players at a higher level and allow them set up academies.

The 2 Italian teams have gotten great crowds this season considering its their first season and especially considering they're near the bottom of the league. Crowds will grow once they become more competitive and new rugby fans will come along.

I have to agree. But only in terms of short term factors. It will make a group of players better for the national team within only a few years. But I was more focusing on the long term factors, were instead of Italy looking to two sides for their players, like Scotland, Italy could have a much larger pool of players which would create a more competitive aspect. I think if you want to get the best out of your players you need four players competing for one position all of whom enjoy regular first team action. Just like Ireland and all the southern hemisphere teams have. Monopolizing all the best young Italian players into two teams in the long run will not be as beneficial as having the Eccellenza as the Italian primer league.

I agree as well that both teams enjoy good support, but from the chart above, before the Italian teams joined the Celtic league, the Italian Eccellenza tams seemed to have pretty decent numbers.

Hey. Wonder if Ras can give us updates for this Years eccellenza for Italy?

Latest posts