• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Attribute Improvements Needed

A

alijk1989

I agree with many that the current rosters are well out of date and innaccurate so I was wondering if people could help me by posting which players Attributes they think need boosted or reduced so that I can edit it in my game once the editor comes out. I realise a lot of roster makers often do not like to make attribute changes so this is why I am asking for your opinion so I can do it myself.

Thanks

Dwayne Peel's acceleration up to 99, and handling and passing 99. Star Player!!

chris paterson goal kicking: 91, based upon his 91% success rate last season

I would avoid giving players speed rating like the ones above, the game rewards speed above all other ratings and it just becomes pathetic when you can run across field everytime to just outpace all the defence.
If anything the gap between the speed of backs and forwards is far too significant in EA rugby games. Most backs only have about a half to 1 second of pace on locks and flankers, it is really their ability to reach their top speed faster that can make the most difference.
For that reason I feel all wings, centres and fullbacks in the game should be dialled down to the upper 70s in speed with only the fastest players having a speed rating approaching the mid 80s.
So for example players like P.Burger and Habana would have speed ratings of 84 and 83, while fellows like Rockocko would have 80 and Sivivatu 79. There acceleration however should be significantly quicker than the forwards and may still sit around the 90s. Flankers like McCaw and G.Smith would then have competitive pace around their 72 or 74 speed mark with significantly lower acceleration also in the 70s.
Of course this would require huge adjustments to a lot of other players, with centres, fullbacks, flyhalfs and the like needing similar adjustments. Done right though rugby would be a much more rewarding game, with kicking and forward play becoming far more viable, instead of just going wide at every opportunity and scoring with speedy backs.
What are your thoughts?

u could just up the speed of all the players

forwards moreso

make it a faster, hectic paced game - or atleast make it as paced as real life with tuning

why dumb down the backs speed - i'd promote the forwards speed instead.

Reasons against that are there are more forwards than backs and I doubt the pace would be more hectic it'd just be easier to score tries with all players. I created a team of super fast forwards and it had little impact on the game because of the positioning of forwards when attacking, high speed for them makes very little difference. Changing the backs speed has a much greater impact on the tactical play of rugby and actually needing your forwards to suck in defenders or break the line to get go forward ball.
Just check how many of your tries as well as the most territory you gain by running the ball back is made by quick backs. They totally dominate all aspects of the game and theres never more to it than sending it wide to the backline.

Ozzy, you have pretty much summed up how I feel about it. I also agree about lowering speed to open up the game for tactical kicking.

Just check how many of your tries as well as the most territory you gain by running the ball back is made by quick backs. They totally dominate all aspects of the game and theres never more to it than sending it wide to the backline.

This is the reason I don't use fast backs anymore. Too easy to run through the gaps in defence. In World League all you really need is to buy fast outside backs. No need for even a decent flyhalf or pack.

Other attributes need to be changed to emphasize the importance of different positions and the quality of the player in those positions. Most players have way too high kicking skill. You should really be forced to use a proper kicker to clear etc, but often I've found myself put in a good clearing kick with a forward?!

Yes I agree with the point about kicking. However in the stats there is a value for kicking and kicking power, now while a lot of players can kick the ball reasonably hard, their actually ability to kick it with precision as well as power is the real difference between a quality tactical kicker and someone who can just whack the ball hard.
Unfortunately the kicking ability stat makes little to no difference it seems as the kicking power stat overrides everything else. I think it takes effect when the AI kicks as a player with good kick power and low kick ability will kick out on the full or wont kick it far, but that's about it. For human players it makes no difference at all when kicking.
So yeah it would be a massive task to adjust the rosters, but fascinating to see the results. I may try to tweak all the backs for the 3N teams only and see what effect it has on play.

Should make all flyhalfs have top kicking skill then, since it doesn't affect us. No reason the AI should be left with dodgy clearances when we can consistently nail the 50m with average kickers.

Yes I agree with the point about kicking. However in the stats there is a value for kicking and kicking power, now while a lot of players can kick the ball reasonably hard, their actually ability to kick it with precision as well as power is the real difference between a quality tactical kicker and someone who can just whack the ball hard.
Unfortunately the kicking ability stat makes little to no difference it seems as the kicking power stat overrides everything else. I think it takes effect when the AI kicks as a player with good kick power and low kick ability will kick out on the full or wont kick it far, but that's about it. For human players it makes no difference at all when kicking.
So yeah it would be a massive task to adjust the rosters, but fascinating to see the results. I may try to tweak all the backs for the 3N teams only and see what effect it has on play.
[/b]

ok ozzy but would you try then to edit P.Grant's kicking?HIs playing for the stormers and South-Africa.
thanx.

[/b]

you can still keep the backs speed 90's.but make the flankers(MCcaw,Burger smith...) speed also around 88 90 so when a fast back cuts the line whoop a fast flanker comes with cross defence and turnover.. but can u help me with editing down back's speed and kicking of players. jeez plz edit F.Steyns kicking power.
Peace bru...

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

you can still keep the backs speed 90's.but make the flankers(MCcaw,Burger smith...) speed also around 88 90 so when a fast back cuts the line whoop a fast flanker comes with cross defence and turnover.. but can u help me with editing down back's speed and kicking of players. jeez plz edit F.Steyns kicking power.
Peace bru...
[/b][/quote]
Any date the editing will be finished?

Posted this in the Rugby 08 Patch Team thread as well.

Alrightey here's the latest 2008 roster update. Changes in this version are:

Even more players have corrected positions and names.
Team lineups have been tweaked, Wales and Argentina lineups have been updated, but still include players who are out of the WC like G.Henson as it makes for more challenging gameplay.
Other major change is stat tweaking, mainly for SH players.
Sharks midfield and wing have received a lot of changes. Their grisly forward pack has been tweaked and the stats attempt to make the team a harder nut to crack defensive wise.
Lot of other players have received tweaks like:

G.Aplon, P.Burger, N.Evans, P.Grant,C.Hayman, T.Woodcock, N.Tialata, J.Schwalger, C.Sheperd, L.Turner, O.Ndungane, B.Barritt, W.Murray, S.Lauaki, A. Ashley-Cooper, Rockocko, Sivivatu, Howlett, Kankowski, Skinstad blah blah blah, the list goes on.

Anyway here's the link:

Rugby 08 2nd Roster Update

Enjoy.

Posted this in the Rugby 08 Patch Team thread as well.

Alrightey here's the latest 2008 roster update. Changes in this version are:

Even more players have corrected positions and names.
Team lineups have been tweaked, Wales and Argentina lineups have been updated, but still include players who are out of the WC like G.Henson as it makes for more challenging gameplay.
Other major change is stat tweaking, mainly for SH players.
Sharks midfield and wing have received a lot of changes. Their grisly forward pack has been tweaked and the stats attempt to make the team a harder nut to crack defensive wise.
Lot of other players have received tweaks like:

G.Aplon, P.Burger, N.Evans, P.Grant,C.Hayman, T.Woodcock, N.Tialata, J.Schwalger, C.Sheperd, L.Turner, O.Ndungane, B.Barritt, W.Murray, S.Lauaki, A. Ashley-Cooper, Rockocko, Sivivatu, Howlett, Kankowski, Skinstad blah blah blah, the list goes on.

Anyway here's the link:

Rugby 08 2nd Roster Update

Enjoy.
[/b]

ozzy thanx 2 you my man. but why isn't it free. i can only have it for 35 days

???? Its all free, shouldn't be any time limit. Maybe its your RAR programme you're talking about.

Latest posts