English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12321_6627011,00.html
England lock Dave Attwood and Wales scrum-half Richie Rees are facing serious disciplinary charges from European Rugby Cup.
Attwood is accused of stamping on the face of La Rochelle prop Petrisor Toderasc during Gloucester's
spacer.gif
Amlin Challenge Cup defeat at Kingsholm on December 19.
And Rees
spacer.gif
has been charged with making contact with the eyes/eye area of Saints hooker Dylan Hartley
spacer.gif
during Cardiff Blues' Heineken Cup defeat by Northampton.
spacer.gif

Minimum 2 weeks for Attwood for stamping,
Minimum 12 weeks for Rees for "making contact with the eyes"

Could see Rees missing the entire 6N, and Attwood missing part of (if not all) the 6N

Well at least they are showing some consistency whit bans. This is bad news for Wales as I think that Rees is better suited to the way Wales should be trying to play then Phillips.

I'd suggest 8 weeks for Attwood given Grewcock got 8 for stamping on Ferris' arm last season. This one was probably more dangerous but then Attwood doesn't have Grewy's track record.

Grewcock's stamp was on the arm, Atwood's was on the head/face. Could be facing a long ban, luckily for him he isn't French :p

Grewcock's stamp was on the arm, Atwood's was on the head/face. Could be facing a long ban, luckily for him he isn't French :p
Aha, too right :p

Reckon Attwood will get a mid-length ban, Rees a lower end (so will probably end up with similarly lengthed bans, 12ish apiece I reckon)

Shame about Attwood, as he'll now miss the 6N, meaning Shaw will probably feature a lot, and Borthwick will be recalled to the main squad

The benefits of being an international player strike home again. It would have been weeks if he were an England starter.

Speaking of which:

Ban rules Wales' Richie Rees out of Six Nations

<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="226"> <tbody><tr><td>
_50625051_richie_rees_huw.jpg
Richie Rees has made nine appearances for the Blues this season

</td></tr> </tbody></table> Richie Rees will miss the whole Six Nations Championship after the Wales scrum-half was banned for 12 weeks by a disciplinary hearing in Dublin.
The Cardiff Blues man was found guilty of making contact with Northampton hooker Dylan Hartley's eye during their 23-19 Heineken Cup loss on 19 December.
Rees pleaded not guilty on the basis that any contact had been accidental.
But independent judicial officer Pat Barniscale found that the contact had been "reckless and not intentional."
The 27-year-old, who won the first of his nine Wales caps against England in February 2010, is Wales understudy for British Irish Lions star Mike Phillips so his suspension will be a blow to coach Warren Gatland.
Commissioner Murray Whyte cited Rees "for acts contrary to good sportsmanship in contravention of law 10.4(m) in that Rees had made contact with the eye/eye area of Hartley 30 minutes into the first half."
Officer Barriscale reviewed evidence that included "several angles of the incident from television footage and medical statements" relating to the injuries sustained by Hartley.
Both Hartley and Rees gave evidence while the European Rugby Cup hearing also heard submissions on Rees' behalf from Blues chief executive Robert Norster and on behalf of ERC disciplinary officer Roger O'Connor.
Barriscale found the offence was "at the low end of the level of seriousness for an offence of this type."
Rees is free to play again on 31 March and both parties have the right to appeal but must lodge their complaint within 72 hours of receiving the full written decision.
A Blues spokesman said: "Following today's hearing, Cardiff Blues await written submission from the ERC and have no further comment to make on the matter until that is received."
Rees' Blues colleague Xavier Rush was also red-carded in the defeat to Northampton, a loss that ended Cardiff's Heineken Cup hopes, and was punished with a one-week ban for a high tackle on Courtney Lawes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/cardiff_blues/9330669.stm

Seen much worse given for much less. He's a lucky boy to play again this season.

Aye, lucky but at the same time right, I feel

As you said though, seen worse for less, so should count his lucky stars!

Ban was a fair one in my opinion, anything more than missing the 6 Nations would have been a tad harsh. Attwod got off lightly but I think the 12 week ban for Rees is the correct call. As the panel said it was reckless and not intentional whatever any of you say.

Well it certainly wasn't an accident he got involved into a fight and put his hand in someone elses face. Richie Reese is a dirty little cnut anyway, I thought that the week earlier when he was constantly taking cheep shots.

Lol yawn, one game does not make a player dirty hahahahaha

Last edited:

Latest posts