• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Aussie Schoolboys beat Kiwis for first time in 10 years

F

Fushitsusha

Aussie Schoolboys beat Kiwis for first time in 10 years
Rugby Schoolboys

Australian Schoolboys ended 10 years of
disappointment with a thrilling 23-17 rugby union victory over New
Zealand Schools to reclaim the Trans-Tasman Trophy in Sydney today.

Tries to Robert Horne and Afusipa Taumoepeau and 13 points from
the boot of flyhalf Matt Toomua earned Australia its first victory
over New Zealand since 1997, and just their sixth over the Kiwis
since 1978.

Playing before a vocal 2,000 strong crowd at St Josephs College,
the hosts started brightly and opened the scoring through a Toomua
penalty.

New Zealand responded strongly and following a great run by
fullback Charlie Ngatai, the Kiwis quickly moved the ball wide for
lock Daniel Faleafa to dive over. Ben Botica converted for a 7-3
lead.

The teams traded penalty goals and the visitors went into
halftime leading 10-6.

Toomua opened the second half scoring with a penalty.

Australia regained the lead soon after when Robert Horne sliced
through the Kiwis midfield defence to score his team's first try,
converted by Toomua.

A clever delayed pass from Toomua found Taumoepeau and the Joeys
winger strolled over next to the posts to put the Aussies in a
commanding 23-10 lead.

However, a late try to Kiwi winger Julian Savea set up a frantic
final minute as Australia's defence hung on for victory.

awesome, hopefully these kids come through one day... especially the front row :)

Good to see the South Western province of Tonga-Samoa dish it out to the South Eastern province of Tonga-Samoa...Advance Oceania Fair!

Good to see the South Western province of Tonga-Samoa dish it out to the South Eastern province of Tonga-Samoa...Advance Oceania Fair!
[/b]
Haha, exactly what I thought :D

See, that's exactly why the SH are consistently better than the NH:
Because you guys care about how the schoolboys do in rugby.

I know for a fact people in Wales don't give a **** - Hell, I don't!
I commend you!

But of course we do RC! Today`s schoolboys are tomorrow`s Boks, All Blacks and Wallabies. This is where the journey begins mate. Hell, even the high school derbies gets loads of attention over here. 30,000 fans for the Paarl Boy`s High vs. Paarl Gimmies derby, anyone?

That's brilliant!
Ospreys can't even get HALF that! Lol.

But no, people here claim to love rugby and yet if you combined all four regions' weekly home attendances you'd be looking at about 40,000 people!
Terrible turn out.
I question whether people even KNOW that schoolboys play rugby here.
Pathetic. This is the key area the WRU should be looking at.
We wouldn't have to fire a coach every 18 months if we actually put, money and effort into growing the schoolboy aspect of our rugby.
Long term idea and we won't see any positive results from that idea for god knows how long, but would anyone with half a brain go against such a plan?

Well RC, I can`t speak for the Aussies or NZ`ers, but in SA, it actually doesn`t require SARU to put any money into schoolboy rugby, directly at the grassroots level at least. We`ve got these massive high school derbies, and everybody has their rivals. For example, my old high school, Framesby High, has 2 massive derbies each year, against Andrew Rabie and Grey High. I`ve finished high school 13 years ago, and haven`t lived in my old home town of Port Elizabeth for 3 years now, but I haven`t missed a single Framesby/Rabie derby yet. Yup, I load up the wife and kids, and make the annual pilgrimage for every one. Helps of course that the wife`s a Rabie old girl....

From what I`ve heard Prestwick say on a different thread a while back, it seems like rugby isn`t played at school level in England, except in the (public :huh: )private schools over there. How is the situation in Wales? In a country as passionate about rugby as you guys are, is rugby played in the government schools?

RC the problem with us that our landscape which is full of hills means that games like these are quiet hard for people of the north and mid wales! But surely something can be done in the south about it!

hey schools rugby in ireland is massive. the leinster seinor jock cup is played in landsdowne every year(or at least was) usually to a crowd of around 30,000 or so. there are the big schools such as blackrock college, belvedere college St.Michaels, Cork Con and Pres Cork

look at some of those names in the report. Ben Botica? Frano's boy by any chance?

Toomua? Is that aboriginal? Another Mark Ella is overdue.

Another Jonah Lomu's overdue too and by the looks of the up and coming talent in NZ we won't be waiting too long I hope.

Schoolboy rugby is HUGE in Fiji.

The quarters, semis & Final draw sell-out crowds...much more than our provincial games and some of our International games.

Take for example Fiji vs Australia 'A' and Fiji vs Junior ABs. Crowd numbers in both games was only about 8,000 to 10,000.

The school rugby finals this year attracted 20,000.

Schoolboy rugby in Fiji (Deans Trophy) has been hotly contested since the early 1930's...and this is where a lot of overseas scouts come to secure our young talents.

Another Jonah Lomu's overdue too and by the looks of the up and coming talent in NZ we won't be waiting too long I hope.
[/b]

I'd settle for another Wayne Shelford! BRING BACK BUCK!!!

yeah boiZZZZZZZ was stoked wen i heard this news its doin great things for the sport and shows us that there is great talent comming up from aus

Us and Merchi....

Oldest Schoolboy fixture in the world.

We also play Bradford GS, which is the oldest international schoolboy fixture in the world.

My school's steeped in rugby heritage.

So is this the beginning of a new era in which the Aussies will become dominant at higher levels as well or just a blip and NZ will win by 20 points again next year?

Latest posts