• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia 27 vs England 17 FT

Quadecooper#1

Academy Player
Bring it on!
will be interesting to see what level both teams are at. Both had scrappy warm up games. Not too sure about the strength of the English line up but Australia are worryingly dropping like flies. No Robinson, Alexander, Polota Nau, Moore, Horwil, Palu, Higginbotham or Ashley Cooper. Genia will be a big plus though. Burgess had one of his best games lately against Fiji but still dropped ball. The backs gelled in the second half and played pretty well. Would have liked to have seen AAC back at fullback for this game. The forwards need to improve or will look stupid against England. They were slow at getting to the break down and didn't "blast" at the rucks giving slow ball.
Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is AAC definatley out? I saw him get injured yesterday, didn't know whether it was anything serious

I think Australia will beat us, simple as.
England has some good players, but that's harmed by the fact they aren't picked/are brought down by poor selections in other positions. Tim Payne will almost definately be involved somewhere, and against the BaaBaas, when he came on the pitch there were two scrums and each time the BaaBaas scored a try from them...

pretty sure he will be out, hopefully just be out for a week or so. Therefore will play in the 2nd test v poms.

Why aren't the good players picked? I thought this would be a prime opportunity for the English pack to target our understrength pack and starve our backs of ball.

Johnson makes odd selections, he has picked some good players for the tour, but then he's also picked some that have no right being in an England shirt.

If we had a good manager we'd beat you, simple as. But Jonno seems to like picking loosing players which have no place in an England shirt e.g. Tim Payne.

Wallabies to throw six-cap front row into Roses fray

PEKAHOU COWAN is hoping to play three matches in a week to help the Wallabies overcome dire front-row problems that will force them to field a raw Test pack against England in Perth on Saturday night.
After Ben Alexander became the latest leading Australian front-rower to be sidelined - he could be out for up to six weeks with a grade-two medial ligament strain - the Wallabies are likely to select the front-row combination of props Cowan and Salesi Ma'afu and hooker Saia Faingaa, a trio boasting a combined six Test caps.
Cowan is the most obvious contender to take Alexander's spot, meaning that, having played 30 minutes as a replacement in Australia's 49-3 win over Fiji in Canberra on Saturday night, he will now start for the Australian Barbarians against England in tomorrow night's match in Perth, then reappear four days later at Subiaco Oval.

This does not bother the Western Force prop-cum-hooker, who before devoting himself to rugby was a promising golfer at the Long Reef club in Sydney.
''My main focus will be on Tuesday when we play England, but if I do get another opportunity on Saturday, I will be very happy,'' Cowan said yesterday in Canberra before the team headed for Perth. ''Everyone knows we have a fairly inexperienced pack, but the enthusiasm and excitement we have will put us in good stead come Tuesday and Saturday.''
When asked if his body was up to three matches in a week, Cowan said: ''Three games will be quite a few, but I will be very happy if that happens. I would play five in a week if given the opportunity.''
There is even a possibility Queensland Reds prop Ben Daley will appear on the Test bench, if he overcomes his arm problem. Wallabies coach Robbie Deans said that although Daley was not playing in the Barbarians game, he should not be ruled out of contention for Saturday's Test.
And while hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau was sighted at yesterday's Canberra training throwing into the lineouts, he is still at least a week away from being considered for Test selection because of his shoulder and leg injuries.
Adam Ashley-Cooper's absence - his sprained ankle could sideline him for a fortnight - will be easier to manage, with Drew Mitchell expected to slot into the wing spot against England on Saturday.
Ashley-Cooper damaged his ankle when tackled from behind in the second half but, before leaving the field, was one of Australia's more accomplished attacking players.
''It was a bit of a scrappy game on Saturday night, but that's to be expected as we've only been together a week with new combinations,'' Ashley-Cooper said yesterday. ''It did take 40 minutes for us to click. But with the talent we've got, and the depth, it's a really exciting time for us.''
Halfback Will Genia will also be handled cautiously, despite his assertion that he would be available for the Perth Test.
''We want these blokes to return to train to play, as opposed to simply return, put their hands up, and hope to play,'' Deans said. ''That doesn't cut it in the long run, because you end up lurching from crisis to crisis. We've just got to get a background of quality preparation to avoid that situation.''
Deans said Genia was ahead of schedule. ''But he's going to get a volume of quality work in this week, and then we'll make a decision. We want him to be 100 per cent, and 100 per cent for a period of time.''
The Sydney Test against England on June 19 is a more likely return date.

Thats bad...

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-front-row-into-roses-fray-20100606-xn90.html

I can't say I'm too familiar with the ins and outs of Pek Cowan's game. However we are pretty much into our third string front row so yeah England could murder us here.

1st
1. Benn Robinson INJURED
2. Stephen Moore INJURED
3. Ben Alexander INJURED

2nd
1. Sekope Kepu INJURDED
2. Tatafu Palatu-Nau INJURED
3. Salese Ma'afu

3rd
1. Pek Cowan
2. Huia Edmonds
3. Salese Ma'afu

In terms of winning the game I think we would be better of bringing in some experienced heads like Baxter, Shepherd and dare I say Dunning - but in terms of development and player depth it's great.

Last edited:
Just read that the England team for the test is already picked, and the players playing against the barbarians tomorrow are playing "for a win, and a spot in the second test" which means Payne will be in the squad.
Anyone who watched the Baabaas game last week saw what effect he had...two scrums two tries for the baabaas. If we ever had a scrap of hope, it's definately gone now.
Golding will be fit for Saturday though, so hopefully he'll start over Payne,
Would still prefer any of the other props on the tour over Payne involved though

3rd
1. Pek Cowan
2. Huia Edmonds
3. Salese Ma'afu

I wouldn't be supprised if Faingaa started the test match at hooker, especially considering he's not in the bah bahs squad. Edmonds big strength is his running game, he can play like another loose forward, but he didn't do much of that against Fiji. Faingaa plays more like a flanker, tackling and rucking, and he was quite impressive in those areas on the weekend.

ive been trying to fing this match on the T.V to make sure i don't have to watch it on my computer then today i remembered ime going to be at it.

The line ups have been anounced.

AUSTRALIA
15. James O'Connor (Western Force)
14. Digby Ioane (Queensland Reds)
13. Rob Horne (NSW Waratahs)
12. Matt Giteau (Brumbies)
11. Drew Mitchell (NSW Waratahs)
10. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
9. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
8. Richard Brown (Western Force)
7. David Pocock (Western Force)
6. Rocky Elsom (Brumbies, captain)
5. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force)
4. Dean Mumm (NSW Waratahs)
3. Salesi Ma'afu (Brumbies)
2. Saia Faingaa (Queensland Reds)
1. Ben Daley (Queensland Reds)
Reserves:
16. Huia Edmonds (Brumbies)
17. James Slipper (Queensland Reds)
18. Mark Chisholm (Brumbies)
19. Matt Hodgson (Western Force)
20. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
21. Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs)
22. Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs)

ENGLAND:
15. B Foden (Northampton)
14. M Cueto (Sale)
13. M Tindall (Gloucester)
12. S Hape (Bath)
11. C Ashton (Northampton)
10. T Flood (Leicester)
9. D Care (Harlequins)
1. T Payne (Wasps)
2. S Thompson (Leeds)
3. D Cole (Leicester)
4. S Shaw (Wasps)
5. T Palmer (Stade Francais)
6. T Croft (Leicester)
7. L Moody (Bath, capt)
8. N Easter (Harlequins).

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...d-to-wallabies-starting-xv-20100610-xza9.html
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...s-to-aussies-embarrassment-20100610-xy3x.html

Ouch only two test caps among the Australian front row. I think we all know how England are going to play it. We will destroy them in the backs if given the chance though.

and we saw the influence the scrum had at taking away the barbarians momentum.. hope they can hold their own till Robinson and co get back!

Why is Genia on bench ???

He's just coming back from injury - I wasn't expecting to see him back till the tri-nations.

Australia may struggle up front - I think both Daley and Faingaa are promising players, but don't think they are ready for this level yet (and too be fair are only starting due to a huge number of injuries). I also noticed Slipper was on the bench - did he even play during this years super 14?

TIM PAYNE!?!?!?!

Hopefully he gets food poisoning or something before the match.
I thought we were in with a good shout before, but with him in the squad it just takes away everything.
I actually can't believe Johnson, it's beyond a joke now. Payne is an awful player, truely awful. Anonymous in the loose, poor at the breakdown and might as well be an opposition prop in the scrum, the ammount of time he spends going backwards/giving them penalties. Did Johnson not see the BaaBaas game? Either of them? In Twickers, our scrum died when he came on, in Aus our scrum was GOOD. Why not use the loosehead from that match? I mean, he's using Tait, Chuter and Lawes who played in the match so he's not resting them all. Bloody hell, i'm annoyed.

Hopefully we get to see a 12. Tindall, 13. Tait combination by the end of the match, could be interesting.
Good to see Lawes and Youngs on the bench, hopefully they get some decent game time. Don't get why Chuter is there though, Mears had a much better game than him against the BaaBaas.

He's just coming back from injury - I wasn't expecting to see him back till the tri-nations.

Australia may struggle up front - I think both Daley and Faingaa are promising players, but don't think they are ready for this level yet (and too be fair are only starting due to a huge number of injuries). I also noticed Slipper was on the bench - did he even play during this years super 14?
He got a few minutes off the bench here and there but nothing substantial. You think they would have picked Weeks?

I have faith that Cole will win our scrum for us, as long as Payne resists the urge to pull it down.

Latest posts