• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia 40 - France 10

G

Gay-Guy

Why is no one talking about this impressive result? Am I the only one here who is perhaps just a little bit worried about how the Aussies actually got better from last weeks record breaking score and improved on it? About how Robbie is just beginning to turn Giteau into another Carter? Are we gonna see the rise over the next year of Giteau growing as a number ten and that next year all we will hear about is how amazing Giteau is in the number ten Aussie jersey and how the AB's and the S.A are palying second fiddle to the Wallabies.

I thinkit is time to wake up and realise that the so called number one vs number two game that happened yesterday made us blind to see what could be an aussie ressurection after their indiferent last 3 years and quarter final exit last year.

The French improved from last weeks beatdown but incredibly the Aussies improved MORE!

Yeah, the Aussies are sneaking under the radar and with all of the focus put on the ABs v SA for this fortnight the Wallabies are building momentum like a Tropical depression building strength out to sea then heads towards land.

A category 1 hurricane took care of Ireland, a category 2 Hurricane did serious damage to France in the first game, a category 3 Hurricane wiped them out in the second test.

A category 4 Hurricane is heading towards Perth to take on South Africa and will turn and head towards Sydney as a devastating category 5 Hurricane when they take on the All Blacks.

Scary thought, will it happen this way though :p ...can't wait to find out. :)

Giteau is looking pretty good, most notably his kicking game has improved immensely, though whether he can sustain that level of precision will remain to be seen. An amazing kicking game from Carter is the rule, while with Giteau it seems to be the exception to the rule.

I think we're still going to have a hard time in the Tri-Nations. While the inclusion of Robinson and Alexander is promising, our front three still remains a problem. Polota-Nau can maybe sure our scrum up (as well as being immense in loose play), but until some improvement is made in the tight five as a whole (i.e N Sharpe and props department), the Bok and Kiwi packs will be able to consolidate their ball and dominate possession. A dangerous prospect as the South Africans and especially the AB's really lift when they get some momentum and clean ball.

Halfs combination looks awesome. Under the Gregan/Larkham pairing, the major threat for other teams would be distribution to Mortlock or someone running deep, you'd rarely see either half-back of fly-half have a run themselves. Now that's changed, Burgess (developed playing sevens) is extremely dangerous given space, and obviously no one has ever doubted Giteau's ability to exploit gaps.

Though a potent back-line doesn't get the job done when loosies would rather skylark out in the mid-field than commit to a breakdown.

I'll be looking forward to the tri-nations, but I don't think we're up to Ab or Bok standards just yet :p, as Deans has said, it's a work in progress.

Well, I don't know how much we can take away from that game.

The French team were absolutely woeful and personally I think the Wallabies should've piled on more tries.

The Wallabies could get a rude shock when they face a real team in a couple of weeks.

A few things though...

They didn't miss Sharpe at all. I think his time is up and we should stick with Mumm and Horwill for the first test and see what happens. However, I think Chisholm or Kimlin would be a better bench option than McMeniman.

I thought Ioane was unlucky not to be picked in the team after his blistering form in the PNC. Turner was hopeless all game, couldn't hold onto the ball. I'd mach prefer Ioane or Mitchell.

With Shepherd out I wonder if they'll fastrack Gerrard into the team? I'm a huge fan of AAC but I think he's much better at centre or wing. He's probably the best fullback in terms of his counter-attacking ability but he's not the best kicker and probably not the most reliable under the high ball when compared to Gerrard or Shepherd.

Elsom had a great game, but I hope he doesn't do his usual thing and go quiet when it counts.

Hoiles didn't make use of his opportunity and I don't think he'll be starting again if Palu is fit.

Polata-Nau could have trouble getting a starting spot with Moore on form. His lineout throwing is miles ahead of TPN and he's been getting heavily involved in the game.

George Smith >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Phil Waugh. Smith was far more impressive when he came on. Had a fairly quiet match in the first test but was everywhere in the last 20 minutes of the match. He'll be required to start in the Tri Nations.

Oh, and it was good to see that the French couldn't go a series without bringing out the dirty play in the way of Harinodoquay (sp?).

I'm not so impressed. This crappy french side held the ball much longer (about 70% of possession, no ?) and looked better in scrum than in the last 6 Nations with their best side, wich must be scary for Australia before the Tri Nations. Fortunately they were absolutely unable to do something with the ball. And the defense was just ridiculous on some tries - especially the one from Cross with two players on him.

But I agree there is a good potenial... and Giteau/Barnes are looking good in their new roles.

See, this is the problem with fielding sub-standard test teams, a win is immediately rendered meaningless, and one that does not have a substantial point differential is seen as an embarrassment for the winning side.

I think a lot of fans have better things to do than fork out money to watch a 'crappy french side' concede a chain of tries. Instead of organising tests during domestic comps then falling back on the "pfft, who cares the national team we fielded is ****" excuse, organisers shouldn't bother. Personally i'd have preferred more tests with Ireland.

Under Robbie Deans the young Dan Carter grew into the world's best fly-half. Matt Giteau is now under Robbie Deans influence and we will become the best fly-half in the world. He definately has the talent and now he has a coach who can release this talent in the right way.

I'm not so impressed. This crappy french side looked better in scrum than in the last 6 Nations with their best side, wich must be scary for Australia before the Tri Nations.
[/b]

I'd just like to point out that Australia won TWO tightheads. That's a fairly good effort on our part and if that was better than 6 nations then did France even have a scrum at that time??

See, this is the problem with fielding sub-standard test teams, a win is immediately rendered meaningless, and one that does not have a substantial point differential is seen as an embarrassment for the winning side.

I think a lot of fans have better things to do than fork out money to watch a 'crappy french side' concede a chain of tries. Instead of organising tests during domestic comps then falling back on the "pfft, who cares the national team we fielded is ****" excuse, organisers shouldn't bother. Personally i'd have preferred more tests with Ireland. [/b]

Agreed... O'Neil should have cancelled the tests against France after he heard they wouldn't release any of their top 14 finals players. Ireland provided a much sterner test with their best on the field, so perhaps we should have just played them twice and got wales to come over for a test.

Dissappointed that Shepherd is injured, I don't really want to be stuck with the other options at fullback. :wacko:

Cross showed why he deserves to be in the team, showed a underperforming Mortlock how to play outside centre.

I don't think Sharpe will get back in the side, the scrum had some bite to it and surely this will be looking at by Dingo.

All in all the Force boys showed why we are obviously the best in the land. ;)

PS. Only 8,000 at SFS for Australia A v NZ Maori? Heartland of rugby my ass, that would have got 20,000 easy in Perth.

PPS. Turner absolutely bottled it, unfortunately that means the dreaded Lote will be back, argh!

Cross showed why he deserves to be in the team, showed a underperforming Mortlock how to play outside centre.
[/b]

When did he do that?

Cross played well, but didn't upstage him at all.

Otherwise, I agree elsewhere.

When did he do that?

Otherwise, I agree elsewhere.[/b]
When he actually looked dangerous at outside centre, of which Mortlock wasn't for the whole game. Plus a 30 metre try can help. Mortlock didn't have a sniff all game.

This match is not a real test match because this is the second France team ...
The season came has punishment to finish !!! Players of Stade Toulousain, Stade Français, Clermont Auvergne and USAP are not selectionned but this is 70% of effectif France team

Sorry for my english ... BE COOL !!! :cheers:

XV de France with this bad team should make 10 points.
what would be a new centunary rugby wonder :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

When did he do that?

Otherwise, I agree elsewhere. [/b][/quote]

I think defensively Mortlock is still the best centre in the world atm. My only gripe with him is he's a bit one dimensional in attack. So many times he's disregarded the players outside of him where as Cross also has the ability to break tackles as well pass it to the fellas outside of him when theyre in a better position. Not to mention his offloading in the tackle provided the force with plenty of attacking oppurtunities throughout the S14 season. Cross is also no slouch in defence with numerous try saving tackles ive seen last season. I can honestly recall him being beaten on the outside only a couple times in super rugby.

I agree that Sharpies days are numbered. I like the look of Mumm and Horwill in the second row but I think Mcmenimum should definitely be in the 22 somewhere. I was a bit dissapointed Hoilles didnt stand out as ive always been a fan of his.

Hopefully we wont see turner in the wallabies team too often.

Id just like to mention that Scott Staniforth is playing club rugby in perth atm. I would love to see him given a lifeline for tri-nations. He was superb in our win against the AB's last year and if todays game is any indication im not sure if barnes is up to the challenge defensively with the ball runners the AB's have.

I also think BLR is onto something. Mebbe we should just have the Western Force Backs as the Wallaby backs as well. :p

I only got to see the first half, such a dominant Australian performance. I guess we can only improve on this

<div class='quotemain'> I'm not so impressed. This crappy french side looked better in scrum than in the last 6 Nations with their best side, wich must be scary for Australia before the Tri Nations.
[/b]

I'd just like to point out that Australia won TWO tightheads. That's a fairly good effort on our part and if that was better than 6 nations then did France even have a scrum at that time??
[/b][/quote]

No, no they didn't have one - they got shoved off the ball by the Welsh pack (something I haven't seen Wales do for a long time) and got battered around by the Irish pack a bit in the second half of their match. They'd have lost that one if it wasn't for Vincent Clerc and Heymans. What kind of starting XV did France have? Was it back to the rubbish experimenting by the new coach?

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

When did he do that?

Otherwise, I agree elsewhere. [/b][/quote]

I think defensively Mortlock is still the best centre in the world atm. My only gripe with him is he's a bit one dimensional in attack. So many times he's disregarded the players outside of him where as Cross also has the ability to break tackles as well pass it to the fellas outside of him when theyre in a better position.
[/b][/quote]

I wonder how Scott Staniforth scored that try against the AB's last year? :p

Latest posts