• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia apology to Aborigines

Do you think its right we should be apologising for mistakes made in the past?? What kind of affects do you think it will have on Australia culute
[/b]
That's like saying is it right for Germany to acknowledge a wrong was done during the holocaust, it just seems so obvious but most Australians are so racist they refuse to accept the responsibility for an act that only finished 30 years ago. It won't change a thing, the Australian majority will continue to be racist and look down on the Aboriginies as scum and the Aboriginies, because of the lack of any opportunity will continue to destroy thier society...besides the ones that start playing AFL though...

I think it's a great thing that Rudd has done, although I can already see the 10's of billions of dollars of compensation claims doing further harm to every tax payer in the country and many who weren't born when the problems happened.

Sincerely being sorry and saying so is a great thing, but now Australia will see that a sincere sorry is just the first snowflake rolling down the hill.

bout farkin time if u ask me
as a nation its correct to acknowledge the wrong doings, and make bridges for the future
BLR is right though - it wont change a thing, until more time is passed.....but 1 step at a time, and its the right one today
In sports, they will continue to progress, and thats the way out of their situation for mine

*post removed by Prestwick due to reason outlined below*

[warn=Prestwick]Absolutely unacceptable and extremely provocative language and tone used in a highly sensitive subject. Whatever the conditions may be in South Africa today, that has absolutely no bearing on what is an intensely private and highly emotional matter for the Australian people and the Australian people alone.

As a result of the highly outrageous and in some parts, racist language used, the mods and admin have agreed that an instant 15 day ban is the only course of action.

Let this be a warning to anyone who dares smear this good institution with the vile filth of racism: it will NOT be tolerated.[/warn]

Jer1cho stop being a stereotypical white man in RSA. Scared, negative and ignorant. You're obviously not to clued up on what's happening currently. You looking at one side of the story only. Yes SA has a high crime rate but that's because of apartheid. Alot of problems we face today are because of apartheid. I've been affected by crime many a time (mugged 3 times last year). But everyone is affected. I have many black friends and they get it just as bad.

If you think apartheid was good then you're pretty damn stupid

Ladies & Gents, please observe the following ruling above on Jer1cho's modified post.

[warn=Prestwick]Absolutely unacceptable and extremely provocative language and tone used in a highly sensitive subject. Whatever the conditions may be in South Africa today, that has absolutely no bearing on what is an intensely private and highly emotional matter for the Australian people and the Australian people alone.

As a result of the highly outrageous and in some parts, racist language used, the mods and admin have agreed that an instant 15 day ban is the only course of action.

Let this be a warning to anyone who dares smear this good institution with the vile filth of racism: it will NOT be tolerated.[/warn]

[/b]
Meh - what did he say? I love it when people are told to shut up, but I hate it when people are silenced. Maybe it was wise to ban him, but don't erase what he said - it's part of the record.

Anyway, back to topic:

You must not accept responsibility for things you didn't do.

Saying sorry is easy sentiment - completely different from apologising, which means you accept responsibility.

Accepting responsibility demands that you restore people to the state they were in before you injured them. That means compensation, whether through cash in the pocket or property rights.

So, the Aus PM is apologising but at the same time saying the Aus taxpayer will not stump up for a compensation scheme. That's just a public relations exercise. Either he accepts responsibility or denies it. And that phrase "The Lost Generation" seems so creepy and sentimental - a bit of sales patter.

I'm on the side of the taxpayers, whatever race - what did they do to deserve this? The best thing they could do - taxpayers and aggrieved Aborigines - is not vote for politicians.

Ireland and England went through a bit of nonsense recently, when Blair said "sorry" about the Irish famine. Who gives a ****, except the professional bullshitters who infest our parliaments in pursuit of public applause and private gain?

On the compensation side, schemes like those arising from institutional sex abuse are infested with even more bullshitters and chancers - free money always attracts the scum. I agree there was wrongdoing, but in the rush to redress the abuses there were just as many wrongs done, and many innocent people suffered because the bullshitters needed to present themselves as "caring".

Rant over.

shtove, that's all well and good but it is important to the Aboriginals because thier lives have been ruined and they still live in extreme poverty and viewed as scum of th earth by most white Australians....

I mean, imagine if you were taken from your family at about 4 years old and taken to live with a Arab family. (entirely different culture) You would be looked down on as a Westerner and have to live a life you and your ancestors were never accustomed to, except at least you'd be able to get a job and be able to further yourself...watch Rabbit Proof Fence, it should be somewhere in Ireland...

I think the government have accepted they did the wrong thing and I think with all the public works to help the Aboriginies become functional members of society they need to go on a campaign to stop the generations of racism that is handed down and start teaching the Aboriginies are people too...

<div class='quotemain'>
Do you think its right we should be apologising for mistakes made in the past?? What kind of affects do you think it will have on Australia culute
[/b]
That's like saying is it right for Germany to acknowledge a wrong was done during the holocaust, it just seems so obvious but most Australians are so racist they refuse to accept the responsibility for an act that only finished 30 years ago. It won't change a thing, the Australian majority will continue to be racist and look down on the Aboriginies as scum and the Aboriginies, because of the lack of any opportunity will continue to destroy thier society...besides the ones that start playing AFL though... [/b][/quote]

Blame John Winston Howard seriously he has cultivated and played to a racist undercurrent for the whole 11 years of his regime.Racism towards aboriginals is widely acceptable sadly whereas in Australia anti-semitism and the alike exists mainly on the fringes racism towards aboriginals is common and widespread.

However well put there sir. :)

I think it's a great thing that Rudd has done, although I can already see the 10's of billions of dollars of compensation claims doing further harm to every tax payer in the country and many who weren't born when the problems happened.

Sincerely being sorry and saying so is a great thing, but now Australia will see that a sincere sorry is just the first snowflake rolling down the hill. [/b]

Not this **** again!

Let me spell something out to you.......the australian government are the LAST to apologise thanks to ex-fuhrer howard because until the last days of this vile policy what happened was the state govt fault not the federal and they have ALL apologised long ago.Bar actually state govt handing out compo (tasmania did and there the most right wing of all state labor parties go figure) there has being very very little litigation.

That idea has being trotted out by the media but its false.Not to mention government has the legal eagles to make sure that noone sees a cent.

[/b]

Bravo to the admin of this fine forum racism is vile filth

If you think apartheid was good then you're pretty damn stupid [/b]

The understatement of the century.

All things aside a great and momentous occasion for our country.

Everything thing I have thought has already been said, so don't brand me a racist when I say this.

What is saying sorry actually going to achieve? I understand the apology will give greiving persons piece of mind, but does anyone think any good will come of it? Will the same problems still exist? Regardless of any of the promises Rudd has made, he will do just as much as Howard. I fear that the only difference between Rudd and Howard will be the fact Rudd apologised. Rudd may have been 100% genuine, but it still could possibly be quite a hollow apology.

This is something like the Treaty of Waitangi and the issue of reparations in the US isn't it? I only saw this in the news yesterday and I was shocked to find out about this "Lost Generation" thing.

Sincerely being sorry and saying so is a great thing, but now Australia will see that a sincere sorry is just the first snowflake rolling down the hill.[/b]

POST BY REDUNDERTHEBED -

Not this **** again!

Let me spell something out to you.......the australian government are the LAST to apologise thanks to ex-fuhrer howard because until the last days of this vile policy what happened was the state govt fault not the federal and they have ALL apologised long ago.Bar actually state govt handing out compo (tasmania did and there the most right wing of all state labor parties go figure) there has being very very little litigation.

That idea has being trotted out by the media but its false.Not to mention government has the legal eagles to make sure that noone sees a cent.[/b]

You have no right to call my opinion ****. I have not said your is. I seriously want an apology for YOUR thoughtless comment. The rest of your post (regarding mine) is your opinion, fine. I'm not having you say what you did in that first line about my opinion.

Retract it whenever you see this. If you are in any doubt, you have offended me.

For the record, I'll no longer post in this thread for fear of being verbally attacked. Good luck.

This is something like the Treaty of Waitangi and the issue of reparations in the US isn't it? I only saw this in the news yesterday and I was shocked to find out about this "Lost Generation" thing. [/b]

You didn't know that? Some were brought over here, maybe some lived in your part of Wales, all parts of the UK were complicit.

Okay, few things

1. melon- it doesn't achieve something in itself besides making the Aboriginal people feel like they are actually cared for, keep in mind they are shat on every single day. I assume you are not Aboriginal so the pain they know you could never understand. Rudd has promised to help build houses and educate the Aboriginies, not so much reperations as it is pulling themselves up by the bootstraps.

2. CA Iverson- red was a little crude in how he replied to you but I suppose it comes mostly from frustration, I mean, we live in a nation where the older generations (and the ignorant) find racism is not racism if it is against the Aboriginies, and hell, half of our existence we had a White Australia policy, it is tremendously frustrating. I respect your opinion and I know the troubles with the Maoris and thier compo claims but I honestly think that the difference in the racial pecking order between the two countries makes it very hard for anyone not from Australia to understand. The Aboriginies are like the African Americans before affirmative action, there is no segregation but you will never see a white person sit down near an Aboriginal. I have friend who whenever I speak of Aboriginies in any context he goes on a tyrade of racist insults and his reason, another racist rant that is based on various stereotypes, hell, I don't even think he has spoken to an Aboriginal. As for the compo, we can only hope the government buildings and education programs does the job to stop compo claims...

<div class='quotemain'> This is something like the Treaty of Waitangi and the issue of reparations in the US isn't it? I only saw this in the news yesterday and I was shocked to find out about this "Lost Generation" thing. [/b]

You didn't know that? Some were brought over here, maybe some lived in your part of Wales, all parts of the UK were complicit.
[/b][/quote]

You're still living in BlackOut Rugby land, my boy! I'm from Singapore! The only bloody thing we learn here is not to question the govt, or else. And that our 40 years of being a nation far outweighs any form of other historical studies. ****, really.

You're still living in BlackOut Rugby land, my boy! I'm from Singapore! The only bloody thing we learn here is not to question the govt, or else. And that our 40 years of being a nation far outweighs any form of other historical studies. ****, really.
[/b]

Well you're still living in..shut up! Ever think of that? Huh?!

Careful, or I'll report you for spitting gum out and not paying the congestion charge! :angry:

Bravo to the admins for the anti-racism stance.

Some thoughts on the aborigines at the moment:

Lots of poverty and low social status which is secondary to their previous treatment. unfortunately as they have partially taken a western lifestyle in some parts they have joined the lower socail classes and there are many aboriginal communities with significant poverty related problems including alcohol/drug abuse and neglect of children. Unfortunately when this does happen it gets seen in the press and reinforces the anti-aborigine messages many Aussies have been taught from a young age.

Part of the problem of all racism is that it takes a long time to grow out of a culture. Older generations may have had racist views drilled into them and this is unlikely to change. All that can be done is to minimise the effects of this and to prevent those views being taken on by younger generations.

I really do hope that Rudd follows up on his promises fully.

It ****** me off that there is so much racism that is just accepted.

BLR, may I ask if you're from a country or city region?

Latest posts