• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia Moving on to 2019

Redcatstorm

Academy Player
Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Reds
Ok it's done we lost to a better team we need to absorb it and move on, the immediate issue is we are going to have a large turnover of players.

I feel at this point we need to have a clear succession plan for a number of positions, so i have put our current team as well as backups to show areas of concern.

1- Scott Sio 24, James Slipper 26

We are fine at loose head prop both our top options are well within a range to continue playing onto Japan.

2- Stephen Moore 32, Tatafu Polota-Nau 30

Large area of concern both players to old to continue onto next world cup and the next best replacements Hansen from the Reds or Charles from the force are not really international quality and aren't at an age where they might improve.

3- Sekope Kepu 29, Greg Holmes 32

Another propblem position we lack depth at tight head the backups for these 2 are at a similar age and will not still be playing in 4 years.

4,5- Kane Douglas 26, Rob Simmons 26, Dean Mumm 31, Sam Carter 26

we are fairly set at lock with adequate starters and ok depth, not an area of concern going forward.

6- Scott Fardy 31

Think we may need to address this, we have other players that can play in this position McMahon plays it at club level but i feel he might be more natural at 7 and we need a strong ball runner here.

7- David Pocock 27, Michael Hooper 24

Area of zero concern even after those two we have McMahon and Liam Gill waiting in the wings.

8- Ben McCalman 27

Don't know what to do here not sure we keep running the Hooper Pocock tandem, our best 8 is McCalman and he could make it his if given the chance also Schatz at the Reds has looked ok as a backup but Palu and Higgers are both too old now.

9- Will Genia 27, Nick Phipps 26

Nic White would be the logical choice but he has gone too france so unless he comes back before the next world cup like Mumm we need a replacment fast as i don't think Phipps has the ability at top level.

10- Bernard Foley 26, Matt Toomua 25

We are Ok at Fly half i think Foley has made it his for the foreseeable future and Toomua is a plenty adaquate backup.

11- Rob Horne 26, Drew Mitchell 31

Not Convinced of Horne on the Wing but if they like him there then so be it, he never got a chance to show what he could do at this world cup but they did favor him over Mitchell who did wonderfully.

12- Matt Giteau 33

Some options after Gits maybe between Toomua and Beale, I would give Beale a go to be honest he looked dangerous whenever he came on at the world cup

13- Tevita Kuridrani 24

Position is his to lose but I am unconvinced on him steady but really not great at anything, really no competition for the role.

14- Adam Ashley-Cooper 31, Joseph Tomane 25

pretty set at wing as we also have Speight and some other young players coming through.

15- Israel Folau 26

Spots his but if he goes down you could play Beale but I would favor Mogg from the Brumbies.

This thread isn't just for Australians others more then welcome to share viewpoints but please be somewhat respectful ;)

My personal opinion is that the Hooper Pocock double is a problem! With Fardy at 6, between the lot of them you dont have much ball running. In the final you really struggled for go forward ball, the likes of which Read and Kaino give NZ in spades. I'm not sure who the answer is, but for me you gotta find a ball carrying 8.

Latest posts