• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia v France 17/07/21

What a win for the Wallabies despite playing most of it with 14 men.

Darcy swain is great in that area.

french not brilliant today, although one if thise tries was sweet. They should have won. Well done wallabies

Lachie swinton was strong, lolesio probably his best test, hooper pretty good, swain pretty good, banks and hodge not too bad too.

Photos also don't do justice of real time video. I watched it and Koroibete just charged straight into him leading with his shoulder. Thought red straight away based on similar incidents and the height he made contact. The French player to me was bracing himself on impact. His reaction afterwards was a bit footballerish.
You are allowed to lead with your shoulder? just have to wrap your arms.

Even if he did hit him directly in the head (he did not) he was bent over. Clear mitigation.

But he didn't hit him in the head. He hit him in the shoulder and the little baby's noggin bounced onto his back because the number 8 got completely *****ed by a winger. He then pulled out a Soccer dive and milked a red.

I hope France go out in the group stages of the next RWC. All this nonsense how they are the next big thing while they haven't won anything in years. I genuinely dislike them more than the English - which i had previously thought impossible.

Even if he did hit him directly in the head (he did not) he was bent over. Clear mitigation.

But he didn't hit him in the head. He hit him in the shoulder and the little baby's noggin bounced onto his back because the number 8 got completely *****ed by a winger. He then pulled out a Soccer dive and milked a red.

I hope France go out in the group stages of the next RWC. All this nonsense how they are the next big thing while they haven't won anything in years. I genuinely dislike them more than the English - which i had previously thought impossible.
I thought it was a pretty dangerous tackle, not saying its a red, but shoudnt be conpletely downplayed.

but i do hate hollywoods. Rennie made the point that you see similar tackles and the player bounces back up and nothing is made of it. That happened with botia tackling damian woth force to the head last week, no penalty, nothing. And then with damian this week another dangerous incident and he told the ref it was nothing but they ended up penalising the fijian but nothing more.

just careful what you say on these boards about hollywoods because although in the southern hemisphere, apart from argentina, we see them as an incredibly disgraceful, shameful, unsportsmanlike act, in europe and argentina they celebrate this behaviour. They call it gamesmanship. I had to look it up, it means deliberate cheating.

their heroes do it, and not just in football. So its really offensive to them to suggest the act is shameful. For example farrell clutching his eyes and face and screaming after being pushed lightly in the forehead, or odriscoll literally throwing himself to the geound on his back and clutching his neck when slipping a tackle below the chest against the all blacks first time he played them after 05.

its just a different culture.

their heroes do it, and not just in football. So its really offensive to them to suggest the act is shameful. For example farrell clutching his eyes and face and screaming after being pushed lightly in the forehead, or odriscoll literally throwing himself to the geound on his back and clutching his neck when slipping a tackle below the chest against the all blacks first time he played them after 05.
Maybe they should try playing the game rather than 'gamesmanship' and they might add to their 1 RWC. Diving surrender monkeys.

Maybe they should try playing the game rather than 'gamesmanship' and they might add to their 1 RWC. Diving surrender monkeys.
Hey at least you're not whingeing at your players being 'poached'

I thought it was a pretty dangerous tackle, not saying its a red, but shoudnt be conpletely downplayed.

but i do hate hollywoods. Rennie made the point that you see similar tackles and the player bounces back up and nothing is made of it. That happened with botia tackling damian woth force to the head last week, no penalty, nothing. And then with damian this week another dangerous incident and he told the ref it was nothing but they ended up penalising the fijian but nothing more.

just careful what you say on these boards about hollywoods because although in the southern hemisphere, apart from argentina, we see them as an incredibly disgraceful, shameful, unsportsmanlike act, in europe and argentina they celebrate this behaviour. They call it gamesmanship. I had to look it up, it means deliberate cheating.

I feel like when a guy drops nearly half their body height in less than second that's a fair mitigating circumstance. Koroibete was commited at :26 seconds in (the French 8 was still up straight here) in the slow motion of the hit, the hit had already landed and the guy was going down at :27 seconds.

3 pt over a French outfit that met on the plane over. I bet NZ and SA must be losing sleep.

Something interesting to me a commentator said: France is one of the favourites at the next WC... Really? Did South Africa and New Zealand just dissolve? Ireland, Wales, England? Huh?
Well this is a long way from the French first XV so if you're impression is solely based on seeing their C team in action, I can see why you wouldn't see them as contenders.

They're also playing at home in the WC which will definitely give them an additional advantage.

2yrs is a fairly long time in rugby, but the 'real' French team will certainly be among the favourites IMO. On current/recent form, I'd regard them as a better side than England or the other home nations.

I feel like when a guy drops nearly half their body height in less than second that's a fair mitigating circumstance. Koroibete was commited at :26 seconds in (the French 8 was still up straight here) in the slow motion of the hit, the hit had already landed and the guy was going down at :27 seconds.
Sure, i never said it should be a red. I reckon the ball carrier shpuld have resppnsibility too, and the taxkler shpuld be allowed to take their eye off whats hapkening just before contact then the bend their body for the tackle, and tou shoild judge based on the height of the player before their eyes are taken off and the angle of the tacklers torsoe (e.g 15 degrees from horizontal). you have to expect the attacking player to dip a little to brace for the tackle, so you cant just fly in aiming at his upper chest.

Those are the rules. Look in real time I thought it was high and Koroibete didn't wrap his arms around the French player. It may seemed to others but not to me. He did make contact to the player's head which in today's game is a big no and so I could see why he was sent off.

Personally at the time thought it was a bit wreck-less. Look at similar ones that Bundee Aki has been sent off for twice for Ireland IIRC. SBW. Farrell has gotten away with but should have been.

His tackle height even if he did attempt to wrap was high and he was going to give the referee/TMO to give him a yellow at least, which is what the game is trying to stamp out.

Mitigation - perhaps. It was reviewed by the TMO and ref made the decision and they said none.

Many May disagree but the decision was made. It may be looked at again post game and Koroibete's punishment reduced and he may not be banned but let's see.

whingeing about the ref in a game you won? Not a culture we relate to over here...

whingeing about the ref in a game you won? Not a culture we relate to over here...
Lol. Lets think about what your comment implies. So for your culture you only discuss ref decisions if you lose? How would those discussions ever be taken seriously? What are you looking to achieve in that discussion? To discredit the opposition's victory? Sounds like a dishonorable culture. Or to seek sympathy? Why not just congratulate the opposition?

Also, the whingeing here, as opposed to discussion about laws, is about the hollywoods, not the ref.

plus, i am a neutral observer here, except that i share with australians an aspect of culture That sees hollywoods as shameful acts. And im not going to argue about it, because i accept its a cultural difference.

Last edited:

Latest posts