• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia v France 17/07/21

Was coming in to post this. Game is a joke. Red card in the first 5 minutes, completely cleared by the board? Great for the game. Like I said when it happened, it wasn't a Red. If I could show that the initial contact was not shoulder to head, how could they not get that right during the game? AMATEURS I tell you(Joking).
This is a funny one. it shows that its hard to tell and therefore the full game punishment for a red card is a bad idea if it could easily be based on a wrong decision. On the other hand the game wasnt ruined, the wallabies still won (although the french were awful at using their advantage), suggesting that a full game punishment doesnt ruin the game after all.

As far as i can tell from the law application guidelines and based on what that dude said it is not even a penalty offence?

I would say the word "significant" would of course make it a matter of interpretation.

That's part of the problem. It's quite a simple concatenation of events that ends up ruining the game.

Such a drop is open to interpretation >>> That interpretation has a HUGE impact on the game and is inconsistently applied >>> people lose interest.

This is a funny one. it shows that its hard to tell and therefore the full game punishment for a red card is a bad idea if it could easily be based on a wrong decision. On the other hand the game wasnt ruined, the wallabies still won (although the french were awful at using their advantage), suggesting that a full game punishment doesnt ruin the game after all.
Agreed. Should never have been a red, but I do wonder whether the sense of injustice added something to the Wallabies' performance.

From Rennie's POV, it gave an easy out if they'd lost and with the win, I actually think gives him a good statement victory he can use as a good reminder/motivator in future games ('we won this with 14 players, we could have destroyed them with 15').

Putting a positive spin on it, I actually think a win in adversity benefits Australia and this incident might also have a positive impact on the game in general by a) encouraging better decision-making in these scenarios and b) putting a spotlight on 'simulation' which might make referees take a bit more notice of this creeping in to the game.

Latest posts