• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia v New Zealand (4 Nations)

J

Jethro

Australia 20 - 20 New Zealand

With perfect 20/20 hindsight, kaboomtish, it was obviously going to be a close one. The kiwis actually dominated the second half after being down 14-6 but a late Aussie try squared things up. Nice start to the competition for both teams, should be a ripper with England having to improve markably to be competitive and France .... well okay France need some exposure to NRL perhaps.

I was impressed how many people went actually.

1) The capacity of the Stoop is almost 15,000... and it was almost full.

2) RL is not popular in London and Harlequins RL don't ever get more than a few thousand in.

3) Even for Union games, Harlequins haven't been able to fill it this season.

A stadium full of ex-pats it was.

Saw the highlights of both games.
But especially Aus and NZ really convinced me. Really looking forward to next weekend's game.

Bloody brothers came around home telling me we won and whooped the Aussies. I'm not a big league fan but anything to do with kiwis winning against the Aussies makes me happy but even when I saw the draw result I still had that snickers bar satisfaction.

It's played in London due to the large Antipodean contingent that live in London. Hull turned that game down as they didn't think they'd get a crowd. I'd have gone to watch it somewhere close to here, and it was a cracking game as well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Oct 29 2009, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's played in London due to the large Antipodean contingent that live in London. Hull turned that game down as they didn't think they'd get a crowd. I'd have gone to watch it somewhere close to here, and it was a cracking game as well.[/b]

League has an issue with test Rugby.

We have a huge issue with test rugby, absolutely, but more turned up for the Australia - Kiwis game than they did England - France. Correct location.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Oct 29 2009, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Oct 29 2009, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's played in London due to the large Antipodean contingent that live in London. Hull turned that game down as they didn't think they'd get a crowd. I'd have gone to watch it somewhere close to here, and it was a cracking game as well.[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Around about 15 - 20 years ago a Great Britain VS Australia match in England would get 50,000 plus even in London. (1992 WC final got 72,000) Now we struggle to fill a 25,000 stadium in Wigan, which is probably the biggest RL town in the UK. I think that the arrival of super league and all the problems it caused in Australia, including their test sides, has made international RL less popular.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Nov 7 2009, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Oct 29 2009, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Oct 29 2009, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Around about 15 - 20 years ago a Great Britain VS Australia match in England would get 50,000 plus even in London. (1992 WC final got 72,000) Now we struggle to fill a 25,000 stadium in Wigan, which is probably the biggest RL town in the UK. I think that the arrival of super league and all the problems it caused in Australia, including their test sides, has made international RL less popular.
[/b][/quote]

What was the English fans reaction to News Ltd taking over English rugby league to make the super league?

At the time, concern, seeing as Murdoch wanted to merge clubs together.

Latest posts