• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia v South Africa

W

Wally

Changes?

I'd like to see sweeping changes but the depth just isn't there. Apart from Genia in for Burgess and maybe Mumm in for Sharpe I don't really see much happening.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Aug 24 2009, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Urm, Don't you mean South Africa?[/b]

After helping you lot out with "District 9" we're taking over the rabble you call a rugby team :p

Not sure where the Aussies can go, but a couple of selections out of left field would probably not be a bad option. Unfort I think Dingo is finding out just how hard it is to steer a course through Aussie Rugby Politics.

Bring back Dunning, at least we can all get a laugh out of that decision :bravo:

Good call. There is nothing the human pudding can do to upset me. He could score the winning drop goal from 70m out, to win the finals of the RWC 2011, between NZ and OZ, and I think I would still have a laugh.

Barnes and Sharpe are most likely going to ruled out due to injury. O'Connor is in doubt with Mortlock still no chance of taking part.

So assuming O'Connor makes it.

9. Genia
10. Giteau
11. Mitchell
12. O'Connor
13. Cross
14. Turner
15. Ashley-Cooper

Midfield could potentially be steamrolled, or it could pay off with the Force combination already established. Not many options except for maybe Cross and AAC in the centres and O'Connor at fullback.

If O'Connor plays 12 then Australia are inviting South Africa to do what they do best. This area is vital to defend against them. South Africa always use their big backrowers to target these players defensively. I do not know what the team will be but I am a fan of Barnes at 10 and Giteau at 12. Giteau is best here. His general kicking is not his biggest strength and is compared to others pretty average. Australia's top performing 10 is Brock James for Clermont in France. If he were elligible he would, unquestionably be in the current Wallabies team. Mark Gasnier would too, probably playing wing. The injuries to Barnes, Mortlock and others are going to make this season an utter failure for Australia. I think South Africa will win in Perth and that New Zealand will win the remaining test in New Zealand. If this happens then the only chance for a win is Australia's match vs South Africa in Brisbane. That would make it a 3N of 1 win and 5 loses, right now it is 0 wins and 4 loses. It would well be 0 and 6.

If that happens then Deans should not be blamed. He simply does not have an adequate supply of players. There are some utterly weak positions for Australia like scrumhalf which would not be improved by allowing Deans to pick players playing in Japan and Europe (Australia's scrumhalves everywhere are below par) but there are some who could clearly help. Brock James is not flashy like Barnes or Giteau but does precisely what Australia need in terms of organization. It would work very well for them with Giteau at 12. Quickly looking at Australian backs in France it could be said that Berry (MR Paris) / Henjak (Toulon) would be considered given Burgess is such a poor scrumhalf. Luke Rooney (also Toulon) is another. He would be a real option for wing or fullback. Gasnier (SF Paris) is better for 13 than Australia's options aside from Mortlock. Even Peter Hewat (London Irish) would get a look in too. If Australia do continue to lose then the closed door policy to players playing elsewhere must be reconsidered.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Melhor Time @ Aug 26 2009, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If O'Connor plays 12 then Australia are inviting South Africa to do what they do best. This area is vital to defend against them. South Africa always use their big backrowers to target these players defensively. I do not know what the team will be but I am a fan of Barnes at 10 and Giteau at 12. Giteau is best here. His general kicking is not his biggest strength and is compared to others pretty average. Australia's top performing 10 is Brock James for Clermont in France. If he were elligible he would, unquestionably be in the current Wallabies team. Mark Gasnier would too, probably playing wing. The injuries to Barnes, Mortlock and others are going to make this season an utter failure for Australia. I think South Africa will win in Perth and that New Zealand will win the remaining test in New Zealand. If this happens then the only chance for a win is Australia's match vs South Africa in Brisbane. That would make it a 3N of 1 win and 5 loses, right now it is 0 wins and 4 loses. It would well be 0 and 6.

If that happens then Deans should not be blamed. He simply does not have an adequate supply of players. There are some utterly weak positions for Australia like scrumhalf which would not be improved by allowing Deans to pick players playing in Japan and Europe (Australia's scrumhalves everywhere are below par) but there are some who could clearly help. Brock James is not flashy like Barnes or Giteau but does precisely what Australia need in terms of organization. It would work very well for them with Giteau at 12. Quickly looking at Australian backs in France it could be said that Berry (MR Paris) / Henjak (Toulon) would be considered given Burgess is such a poor scrumhalf. Luke Rooney (also Toulon) is another. He would be a real option for wing or fullback. Gasnier (SF Paris) is better for 13 than Australia's options aside from Mortlock. Even Peter Hewat (London Irish) would get a look in too. If Australia do continue to lose then the closed door policy to players playing elsewhere must be reconsidered.[/b]
Your knowledge of over seas based Australians is quite sound, but they said the same thing about Brock James when he was playing in the NPC. He got his chance while with the Western Force but he struggled to make the flyhalf position his own, so I don't agree that he would be a better option than Australia's crop of current and emerging 10s (Giteau, Barnes, Cooper, Beale, O'Connor and Toomua). We a well stocked in that department. What would be handy is if we could select Dan Vickerman at lock and Gasnier at outside centre as we have little depth there with Mortlock and Ioane succumbing to long term injuries. I had forgotten about Luke Rooney, do you know how he is going?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Aug 26 2009, 01:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
9. Genia
10. Giteau
11. Mitchell
12. O'Connor
13. Cross
14. Turner
15. Ashley-Cooper[/b]
THIS is why I can't wait for Wales v Australia in the Autumn!! :p

This game should be good! After last week's joke of a test I get to see a quality side play rugby again :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Aug 26 2009, 07:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Your knowledge of over seas based Australians is quite sound, but they said the same thing about Brock James when he was playing in the NPC. He got his chance while with the Western Force but he struggled to make the flyhalf position his own, so I don't agree that he would be a better option than Australia's crop of current and emerging 10s (Giteau, Barnes, Cooper, Beale, O'Connor and Toomua). We a well stocked in that department. What would be handy is if we could select Dan Vickerman at lock and Gasnier at outside centre as we have little depth there with Mortlock and Ioane succumbing to long term injuries. I had forgotten about Luke Rooney, do you know how he is going?[/b]

I agree with you about Brock James after playing for Taranaki in New Zealand. He looked very good. He then went on to struggle to get game time and to not look so good in the Super 14 for the Force and the Reds. The difference, however, is that the level of the Top 14 is superior to that of the NPC. Brock James is playing against world class flyhalves. The Top 14 has a better group of flyhalves than the Super 14, and anywhere else in the world. This season there is Wilkinson and Goode (England), Contepomi and Bosch (Argentina), Beauxis, Michalak and Trinh-Duc (France), McIntyre (New Zealand) and Gower and Orquera (Italy). Brock James has not been the best in France because Juan Martin Hernandez has been since moving there from fullback in late 2006 (of course he is now in South Africa). But, James has not been embarrassed. He has been a strong performer and without question playing much better than at any time during his career. He would be the Wallaby flyhalf if elligible, without question. He is kicking goals for Clermont even though France's goal kicker, Morgan Parra, is their scrumhalf. James would be picked ahead of Beale, Toomua, O'Connor and Cooper without question. He is reliable and trustworthy as an option taker and is far more experienced. If he is not picked to kick goals the Wallabies would be problem free as Giteau or Barnes at 12 would be the kicker. Clermont bought him as a last minute signing. They needed a flyhalf and the player they had signed (Cameron McIntyre) was not released. NObody, including me, gave Brock James a chance but he has been very, very good.

Here is a try from last season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_gfCwBDVS4

Luke Rooney had a good season last year but will have a hard time this season as Toulon have bought outside backs like May (England) and Rory Lamont (Scotland). Below is a try vs Montauban last season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-TuhuPbZvc

and here is one vs Toulouse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y07CS_w5i7s

Gasnier has been mainly used on the wing for SF Paris. They have Bastrenaud so naturally will play him at 13. Gasnier, this season, is likely to play more at 13.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEGivSofUMs

Here is he playing 12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byhDD-XIwE8...feature=related

Make no mistake, if these three were playing for the Wallabies you would have stronger team. The problem is you guys (in Australia) don't watch French or European rugby so don't get to see them. If you did I think there would be pressure at John O'Neill to allow Robbie Deans to pick players playing in Europe.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I am a fan of Barnes at 10 and Giteau at 12. Giteau is best here.[/b]

No. No. NO! NO! NO!! Giteau is the best fly half in the world, his kicking is much better than Barnes the entire reason Barnes plays 12 is so that Giteau if pressured can get the ball out to another kicker, and the unpredictability of Giteau, Barnes is as predictable as the subject of a Christmas Day mass.

Starting Wallabies:
15. James O'Connor (Western Force)
14. Lachie Turner (NSW Waratahs)
13. Ryan Cross (Western Force)
12. Adam Ashley Cooper (Brumbies)
11. Peter Hynes (Queensland Reds)
10. Matt Giteau (Western Force)
9. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
8. Richard Brown (Western Force)
7. George Smith (Brumbies, captain)
6. Rocky Elsom (Brumbies)
5. Mark Chisholm (Brumbies)
4. James Horwill (Queensland Reds)
3. Ben Alexander (Brumbies)
2. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
1. Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs)

Bench:
16.Tatafu Polota-Nau (NSW Waratahs)
17. Al Baxter (NSW Waratahs)
18. Dean Mumm (NSW Waratahs)
19. David Pocock (Western Force)
20. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
21. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
22. Drew Mitchell (Western Force)

Four changes, interesting call to drop Mitchell, but OMG Burgess starts the game... Also Al Baxter dropped, very good news for Wallabies scrum.

Springboks â€" 15 Ruan Pienaar, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Jaque Fourie, 12 Jean de Villiers, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morné Steyn, 9 Fourie du Preez, 8 Pierre Spies, 7 Juan Smith, 6 Heinrich Brüssow, 5 Victor Matfield, 4 Bakkies Botha, 3 John Smit ©, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Beast Mtawarira.
Subs: 16 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 17 Jannie du Plessis, 18 Andries Bekker, 19 Schalk Burger, 20 Ricky Januarie, 21 Adi Jacobs, 22 Frans Steyn.

Nice to see Ruan in, more consistant than F.Steyn and he'll be around for the next couple of years so he may aswell get practising at full back.

How good is he under the high-ball though?

I think he's a solid operator in most facets of the game. I'm still trying to work out what Frans Steyn actually does.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Melhor Time @ Aug 27 2009, 09:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Aug 26 2009, 07:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your knowledge of over seas based Australians is quite sound, but they said the same thing about Brock James when he was playing in the NPC. He got his chance while with the Western Force but he struggled to make the flyhalf position his own, so I don't agree that he would be a better option than Australia's crop of current and emerging 10s (Giteau, Barnes, Cooper, Beale, O'Connor and Toomua). We a well stocked in that department. What would be handy is if we could select Dan Vickerman at lock and Gasnier at outside centre as we have little depth there with Mortlock and Ioane succumbing to long term injuries. I had forgotten about Luke Rooney, do you know how he is going?[/b]

I agree with you about Brock James after playing for Taranaki in New Zealand. He looked very good. He then went on to struggle to get game time and to not look so good in the Super 14 for the Force and the Reds. The difference, however, is that the level of the Top 14 is superior to that of the NPC. Brock James is playing against world class flyhalves. The Top 14 has a better group of flyhalves than the Super 14, and anywhere else in the world. This season there is Wilkinson and Goode (England), Contepomi and Bosch (Argentina), Beauxis, Michalak and Trinh-Duc (France), McIntyre (New Zealand) and Gower and Orquera (Italy). Brock James has not been the best in France because Juan Martin Hernandez has been since moving there from fullback in late 2006 (of course he is now in South Africa). But, James has not been embarrassed. He has been a strong performer and without question playing much better than at any time during his career. He would be the Wallaby flyhalf if elligible, without question. He is kicking goals for Clermont even though France's goal kicker, Morgan Parra, is their scrumhalf. James would be picked ahead of Beale, Toomua, O'Connor and Cooper without question. He is reliable and trustworthy as an option taker and is far more experienced. If he is not picked to kick goals the Wallabies would be problem free as Giteau or Barnes at 12 would be the kicker. Clermont bought him as a last minute signing. They needed a flyhalf and the player they had signed (Cameron McIntyre) was not released. NObody, including me, gave Brock James a chance but he has been very, very good.

Here is a try from last season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_gfCwBDVS4

Luke Rooney had a good season last year but will have a hard time this season as Toulon have bought outside backs like May (England) and Rory Lamont (Scotland). Below is a try vs Montauban last season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-TuhuPbZvc

and here is one vs Toulouse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y07CS_w5i7s

Gasnier has been mainly used on the wing for SF Paris. They have Bastrenaud so naturally will play him at 13. Gasnier, this season, is likely to play more at 13.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEGivSofUMs

Here is he playing 12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byhDD-XIwE8...feature=related

Make no mistake, if these three were playing for the Wallabies you would have stronger team. The problem is you guys (in Australia) don't watch French or European rugby so don't get to see them. If you did I think there would be pressure at John O'Neill to allow Robbie Deans to pick players playing in Europe.
[/b][/quote]
Yeah thanks for all that mate. Obviously Gower is Australian too but he's no longer eligible to represent his country of birth. I think when the Super 15 kicks off in 2011 the new Melbourne franchise will endeavor to bring back a lot of these players. I'm sure Gasnier will come home to have a crack at the Wallabies world cup squad. I will try and find somewhere where I can stream the French Top 14 games as it seems like a quality competition, probably only second to the Super 14.

Considering your information I think if over seas based Australians were considered the first string backline would look like this..

9. Genia/Burgess
10. Giteau
11. Ioane
12. Barnes
13. Mortlock
14. Gasnier
15. Ashley-Cooper

20. James
21. O'Connor
22. Mitchell

Streets ahead of what we've got turning out for us this weekend.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Aug 28 2009, 02:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Brock James?

Mark Gasnier?

Peter Hewat?!?!

:lol:

No thanks...[/b]
Are you serious? Mark Gasnier is a much better player than Ryan Cross, and Mortlock's best football is behind him. He's our number one candidate for outside centre leading up to the next world cup, whether you realise it or not.

Problem I saw with Genia last week was the way he directed play in the last few minutes, when Aus should have been setting up for a winning DG. He went to the touchlines, instead of funneling the ball to the midfield, and finally threw a pass that bounced of a speeding lock's chest. Not a general.

Good to see Melhor back with huge, detailed posts!

Latest posts