Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
Screenshot 2022-07-06 at 09.39.03.png
Sat, 09/07/2022, 19:55/10:55
Suncorp Stadium
Referee: Andrew Brace​

Wallabies are going to be confident going into this one after comfortably dispatching England last weekend when the had a lot of adversity.There may be a chance of EJ ******** the bed and going with whole sale changes but that won't do much for moral and give Aus another boost.

Willis would be the more natural replacement for Curry as we need a jackler in there but I'd not be surprised to see Ludlum start. Minus Willis would stick with the same side and see if EJ and the coaching team can get a reaction out of the squad.

We will only see 1 or 2 changes as is Jones's way. Hopefully we go from side to side again without any really attacking plan although we will make yards.

Wallabies are going to be confident going into this one after comfortably dispatching England last weekend when the had a lot of adversity.There may be a chance of EJ ******** the bed and going with whole sale changes but that won't do much for moral and give Aus another boost.

Willis would be the more natural replacement for Curry as we need a jackler in there but I'd not be surprised to see Ludlum start. Minus Willis would stick with the same side and see if EJ and the coaching team can get a reaction out of the squad.
Or they are apprehensive as they only just beat a pretty poorly performing England, some of whos players were more interested in shithousery than the game.

England WILL play better this weekend. Im expecting a big performance from Johnny Hill. He'll have had a telling off, and his position will be under threat after this tour...so he needs to really put in for the last two games.

Curry is out isn't he? Thought he looked good in that first game. All the evidence suggests Australia will wrap up the series this Saturday but I dunno, reckon England will sneak a tight game.

Curry out for the rest of the tournament, May not back to fitness after Covid. I agree with comments above that EJ will probably stick with the team for the most part, but Aus will love that. Faz and Smith just don't work together and create a confused attack. Too many chiefs on the pitch.
I know there's a lot of hype, but there is a great case to start Arundel on the wing and drop Nowell to the bench. We know what Nowell can do and he doesn't need game time. If Arundel is going to become the Campese of England, he needs time on the pitch. And frankly after what he achieved in the last 10 on Saturday (all be it against a tired Aussie team who had switched off a little as they had the game won) I would imagine the Aussies would be pretty nervous. Certainly keep them on their toes.
Coks also needs to step up and take his chance. I think this will be his last shot in an England shirt if he doesn't come good this tour.

England can win this game, like they could have won the last one (and if Faz had taken all his points we would have). But winning isn't enough. They need to start looking cohesive and well drilled. A scrappy win really won't mean very much at all.

Curry out for the rest of the tournament, May not back to fitness after Covid. I agree with comments above that EJ will probably stick with the team for the most part, but Aus will love that. Faz and Smith just don't work together and create a confused attack. Too many chiefs on the pitch.
I know there's a lot of hype, but there is a great case to start Arundel on the wing and drop Nowell to the bench. We know what Nowell can do and he doesn't need game time. If Arundel is going to become the Campese of England, he needs time on the pitch. And frankly after what he achieved in the last 10 on Saturday (all be it against a tired Aussie team who had switched off a little as they had the game won) I would imagine the Aussies would be pretty nervous. Certainly keep them on their toes.
Coks also needs to step up and take his chance. I think this will be his last shot in an England shirt if he doesn't come good this tour.

England can win this game, like they could have won the last one (and if Faz had taken all his points we would have). But winning isn't enough. They need to start looking cohesive and well drilled. A scrappy win really won't mean very much at all.
On Faz and Smith i do agree but still i dont think there is no hope, if its going to work we cant expect it on the first game. It needs to be tested, the other option is putting porter in instead and i still dont think he is going to be anything special.

Options at 12s are our main weakness and i really dont see any obvious answers so Smith Faz may be out best option which is worrying but we may have to just stick with it.

We need to really create quick ball constantly for our backs to click.

I think Arundell will start at 23 but wouldnt complain about him starting to see what he can actually do and you never know having a winger that can create something might lend itself well to Smith Faz. But his defence is almost completely untested at prem level, what 2 starts? And normally plays FB so how is his wing positioning? Id take the risk. And FFS EJ do not start him at 15 in place of Steward ;)

Farrell and Smith don't work ..YET.

But they will. It wouldn't surprise me if you see more this weekend. They're still getting used to each other nevermind the new system Jones wants to play...

of course faz and smith can work . . . it's just a question of "is there a gameplan"?

That's it, that's the question.

Farrell and smith won't work as they both want to be the boss. Farrell played 10 nearly every phase and Smith ended up at 12 which means he was wasted.

I really don't think Farrell can play with any other 'big' character.

As for 12, we don't need someone special. We just need someone who offers a threat and is solid.

Farrell and smith won't work as they both want to be the boss. Farrell played 10 nearly every phase and Smith ended up at 12 which means he was wasted.

I really don't think Farrell can play with any other 'big' character.

As for 12, we don't need someone special. We just need someone who offers a threat and is solid.
I imagine that was by design faz as the truck it up first pass to who ever and smith as the second playmaker with the ability to make defenders think. and thats the way i thought it would go pre match in attack. I see the logic in it on paper but still need to be convinced on the pitch.

But is that Porter, how much of a threat is he and tbh i think he's lucky to be there. By no means a bad player at all but i didnt see anything that great about him for tigers.

Its pointless debaiting it because EJ will pick Smith Faz unless he has Manu back....im guessing we all agree this is what will happen no matter what we say here yes...agreed everyone?

So im staying optimistic that smith faz can and will work but needs to a couple of games.

The whole point of 2 playmakers at 10 and 12 is to keep the opposition guessing. If Farrell was constantly playing at 10, removing a running threat in that position, and always passing to smith at 12, who would be running against backs rather than forwards more, then it's the worst of both worlds. Really they should swap who plays 10 and who plays 12 and have a mix of plays they can run off either in either position. Highly complex but that's where the double playmaker style is supposed to work. We aren't doing this, we are playing an extremely simplistic and predictable gameplan with a setup that is being picked to do the exact opposite. As usual it's Jones A picking the players and Jones B making the gameplan, he consistently doesn't pick the players to match the gameplan.

Isn't it the other way round to how Ford-Farrell was used, too?

Ford stood at first receiver to threaten the line and play short to players running lines, then if it wasn't on he'd fire it back to Farrell to kick/whiz it out wide.

Wallabies team announced (15-1):

Jordan Petaia
Tom Wright
Hunter Paisami
Samu Kerevi
Marika Koroibete
Noah Lolesio
Nic White
Rob Valetini
Michael Hooper (c)
Rob Leota
Cadeyrn Neville
Matt Philip
Taniela Tupou
David Porecki
Angus Bell

Replacements

Folau Fainga'a, Scott Sio, James Slipper, Nick Frost, Pete Samu, Jake Gordon, James O'Connor, Izaia Perese

Good thing Tupou is back because with Petaia and Paisami in the team there will be a few scrums.

I like the backline a lot - shame for Marchant, who I think was our best starting back last week, but glad we get a look at Porter
If Porter and Freeman go well maybe Marchant on the wing next week?

I thought we'd go 6-2 in the first test so not surprised to see it now - just because EJ uses his bench weirdly,
Any other coach I'd rather Marchant on the bench too (but if he were there this week he'd just end up unused)

Good for Porter but illogical unless Marchant is injured. Pleased to see Freeman and JVP.

Still not a Hill fan and disappointed that Isiekwe's not involved at all. Senior players Itoje, Lawes, George and Binny all need to up their games. Farrell and Smith is what it is, just hope Smith takes more control than last week.

Hope we don't get multiple injuries in the backs given our bench options.

Messing Marchant about just ****** me off. He's consistently good for England (and a much better player han Porter IMO) but continually gets shafted by Eddie. What a load of crap.

Latest posts