• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia vs England - 3 Tests - June 2016

Nowell has started at 13 with Exeter for large chunks of his career. Quite a few people consider it to be his natural position- and one he plays better than wing.

The jury's out on Daly at international level, we simply haven't seen enough of him to know and he's certainly worth exploring to find out, but Yarde has a proven impact- look up his tries from the 2014 Summer tour.

Agree on Nowell. One day he'll settle at 13 or 15. Internationally there's less competition in the back 3 at the moment.

Yarde's done very little in the last couple of years though. A lot to prove.

Agree on Nowell. One day he'll settle at 13 or 15. Internationally there's less competition in the back 3 at the moment.

With JJ, Daly and Tuilagi around I can't see him settling at 13. Would love to see him as Brown's successor at 15 though, with Watson and Yarde/Wade/Roko/May on the wings.

5live reporting Farrell at 10, Barrell at 12 and Yarde over Nowell on wing.

I don't understand the Yarde love-in.
What makes him better than any of the other options? Is it because he's decent at everything with no real weakness, but no real world class parts to his game?

I don't understand the Yarde love-in.
What makes him better than any of the other options? Is it because he's decent at everything with no real weakness, but no real world class parts to his game?

I'd say his defence is a weakness. Up against someone like Naiyarovoro on the wing, he will be merely a speed bump. If he's replaced Nowell after his recent performances, semi and final of the AP in particular, I will be genuinely annoyed.

Last edited:
Seems like Eddie playing games with the media. Yesterday BBC and Telegraph had Itoje at 6 now its Robshaw, rumours seem to be changing every day.

I'm really torn on Nowell. On one hand, he likely won't make it as a world class back three because of a lack of physical prowess. Nearly all of the iconic back threes, especially wingers, have had exceptional pace, power or balance (or, more likely, some combination of them). Shane, Lomu, Robinson, JSD, Savea, Folau etc. Nowell may have room to improve physically, but he'll probably never be amongst the top athletes.

On the other hand, we risk setting the bar too high and ignoring a possibly very good player by scoping out a world class player. e.g. Rob Kearney may not be a top athlete, but he's built a very good international career for himself. Nowell just needs to focus on his rugby skills, and hope that the next Robinson doesn't come along.

I like Yarde a lot as a player. He's got pace and power and that's a rare combo in an England player. I think if he pushes himself and is guided right, he could be a World Class player because he's a deadly finisher and strong enough to stop most other wingers if he's in the right place.

Right now, he's a bit raw. I'm not sure I trust the parts of his game that don't involve avoiding/winning collisions. I think it'd be pretty weird if the Telegraph was right and he was put in ahead of Nowell, because while I have my reservations about Nowell, he's been the better player at international level for quite a while. And I'm still a little puzzled that he went ahead of Rokoduguni, who's the bigger maturer version of Yarde.

As for Yarde vs Daly... I'm not sure I'd call Daly other than one dimensional either.

I think Daly can change games, but not if he's taking over from JJ. Yarde's power could be invaluable if we find ourselves getting decent possession and territory but struggling to get any momentum going. Although, yeah, as pointed out Nowell's no wilting flower either (and neither is Watson).

Anyway. I said Daly is who I'd pick and I stick by that.

But I'm big on Yarde because, short of Watson, there's no one around the England team with a higher ceiling except maybe Wade.

I can't believe that Yard would replace Nowell. He's had a great season for the Chiefs and for England, where as Yard hasn't done much of anything anywhere, his last great contribution being 2 years ago in New Zealand. I would really feel for Nowell if it is the case.

As for the talk of Nowell playing as a 13, that's a pipe dream. He's been plying wing all season for the Chiefs and that's where he will be for England, and it's not going to change. Full Back may crop up, but I can't really see it. If anyone moved it would be Watson as he plays there for Bath more often then not.

Seems like Eddie playing games with the media. Yesterday BBC and Telegraph had Itoje at 6 now its Robshaw, rumours seem to be changing every day.

Looks like Eddie was trying Itoje at 6 so he can play there in the 2nd half when Launchbury comes on.

Looks like Eddie was trying Itoje at 6 so he can play there in the 2nd half when Launchbury comes on.

Slipping back a row against a fast Aussie team after 50-60 minutes of scrummaging and mauling isn't exactly the easiest ask.

Say one thing for the old regime, say I could at least disregard all paper talk until I saw it in the Mail.

It's all very typically Eddie; chuck out contradictory briefings and interviews, let the media write copy based on such and then announce whatever team you feel had in mind in the first place.

Dropping Nowell at this stage would be ludicrous. I'm well aware of his deficiencies as a winger, but his strengths more than outweigh.tbem.

I basically see him as Brown before his powers faded. He beats 1-3 tackles every time, carries hard, great under the high ball and can finish beautifully. Good enough for me right now

Last edited:
Wallabies starting XV to face England:

1. Scott Sio - Brumbies (16 Tests)
2. Stephen Moore (c) - Brumbies (102 Tests)
3. Greg Holmes - Reds (24 Tests)
4. Rory Arnold* - Brumbies
5. Rob Simmons - Reds (60 Tests)
6. Scott Fardy - Brumbies (30 Tests)
7. Michael Hooper (vc) - Waratahs (51 Tests)
8. David Pocock - Brumbies (55 Tests)
9. Nick Phipps - Waratahs (39 Tests)
10. Bernard Foley - Waratahs (27 Tests)
11. Rob Horne (vc) - Waratahs (29 Tests)
12. Samu Kerevi* - Reds
13. Tevita Kuridrani - Brumbies (31 Tests)
14. Dane Haylett-Petty* - Western Force
15. Israel Folau - Waratahs (38 Tests)

Replacements

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau - Waratahs (61 Tests)
17. James Slipper - Reds (74 Tests)
18. Sekope Kepu -Waratahs (63 Tests)
19. James Horwill - Harlequins (61 Tests)
20. Dean Mumm - Waratahs (44 Tests)
21. Sean McMahon -Rebels (6 Tests)
22. Nick Frisby* - Reds
23. Christian Leali'ifano - Brumbies (16 Tests)

Last edited:

12. Samu Kerevi* - Reds

Replacements

22. Nick Frisby* - Reds

The centres look frightening

12. Samu Kerevi* - Reds

Replacements

22. Nick Frisby* - Reds

A good selection. The Wallaby scrum isn't the achilles hel it used to be. I still don't rate their locks but that backrow could be extremely influencial in the right type of game.

Phipps is in the form of his life, Foley has slowly but surely been getting back to form post injury. Kerevi at times looks lazy but he has hit form at the right time. Very interested to see what he and Kuridrani can do. I'm just worried they are too similar. This team is missing Beale/Giteau/Toomua at 12 and Tomane. Horne is not the type to score tries he has no business too like Tomane manages on regular occasion. But who am I to say, maybe doubling up on line-busting centers is the way to go. All debutantees deserving of their call-ups.

I will certainly be tuning in. This series is the the most exciting prospect for June IMO being the most evenly balanced. I don't buy into the ABs being vulnerable and though I think Ireland will be much more competitive than the media suggest I expect us to keep our home record against them clean.

Last edited:
Slipping back a row against a fast Aussie team after 50-60 minutes of scrummaging and mauling isn't exactly the easiest ask.

Say one thing for the old regime, say I could at least disregard all paper talk until I saw it in the Mail.

I see your point, but if anyone can do it Super Maro can.

Now just waiting for England's line up to be confirmed.

If Yard does get he nod for his strong running and ability to draw defenders that's only any good if England get super quick ball from the Ruck and with Youngs at 9 taking an age to get there and then crabbing across the pitch before eventually passing the ball that's unlikely. I'd play Care with hard ball careers, say what you like but that lad gets there fast and gets then all away. He's also much faster on his feet then Youngs.

I can't believe that Yard would replace Nowell. He's had a great season for the Chiefs and for England, where as Yard hasn't done much of anything anywhere, his last great contribution being 2 years ago in New Zealand. I would really feel for Nowell if it is the case.

As for the talk of Nowell playing as a 13, that's a pipe dream. He's been plying wing all season for the Chiefs and that's where he will be for England, and it's not going to change. Full Back may crop up, but I can't really see it. If anyone moved it would be Watson as he plays there for Bath more often then not.

Back when Nowell and Watson were in the U20s together (2013) Nowell was always 15 while Watson was on the wing. I get that Watson's been playing more fullback than Nowell in recent times, but I think before 2019 we can expect Nowell to move to 15 for Chiefs in place of Dollman. I'd also argue that Watson is a far more natural wing, as he's faster, while Nowell is better defensively, has a better kicking game and I'd say is better under the high ball. A no brainer as to who I'd shift to fullback when Brown's phased out.

People are also saying that Nowell isn't fast enough to be an international back three, but I think that's unfair. Le Roux and Kearney (In his prime) have both been excellent in international rugby and neither of them are particularly pacey. AAC too, never been too physically impressive, yet he has 100+ caps for Aus. I can see Nowell being England's AAC, able to cover 13, wing or fullback and performing exceptionally wherever you put him. Nowell's only 23, he still has lots of time to improve and also to move to 15. I see many England caps and many great performances from him in an England shirt in the future.

Edit: Looking through England U20s teams over the last few things is revealing some interesting details. Clifford always used to start at 8 over Vunipola for the U20s. Daly was selected at 13 over JJ, JJ was shifted to the wing to make way for him, or just left out all together. Nowell 15 over Watson who stayed wing (Already mentioned that though). Hill always at 12 over Devoto, unlike the Saxons ATM. Chris Cook used to get in at 9 over Robson. Kvesic was rated higher than Cane in the 2011 final, yet Kvesic has 3 caps for England, Cane has captained the All Blacks. Short and Wade on the wings over Yarde. Vunipola used to play tighthead, with MArler loose and Jamie George hooker. May was a 13, older Watson and Wade wings and Homer 15 (Hella fast back four).

Sorry if that's mostly spam, I found some of it quite interesting and thought you all might want to have a read.

Last edited:

Latest posts