• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia vs New Zealand 2000

Q

QLD

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O3kDSiHVbwg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O3kDSiHVbwg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This was the record crowd game aye with over 100,000 people watching it I remember this game because we had Lomu, Umaga and Cullen in their prime. What a awesome game it was a battle right to the end even into injury time.

I was at that game! Happened to be in Sydney on a schools rugby tour of Australia and we found out the team we were playing against had got us all tickets. Absolutely amazing, over 114,000 people packed into Homebush set a world record rugby match attendance by a fair margin a believe.

Epic game. Match made in Heaven or test match of the century or whatever it was called. 3 tries in 5 minutes i thought the ABs were gonna cane them but what followed was even better.

Far the game has changed so much aye... the scrums are just different as and look how deep the backline stood.

What was not shown was how good Taine Randal was in that game. Constantly breaking tackles etc it was set up for him to be where he was before he passed it to Lomu.

The game was in injury time and the Wallabies didn't kick it out!?!?!?!? The AB's get the ball back from the kick that didn't go out and work their way up and eventually score a try. Wouldn't it had been better to kick the ball out and therefore have the chance of the hooter going? Or at least chew up more time? Or even at least be able to have a structured defence from a lineout rather than an open play defensive line chasing a kick?

This reminds me of what the Wallabies did 3 years later at the same field and in the same spot.

RWC final extra time....ball gets passed to Rogers to kick....VERY BAD kick which doesn't even make the halfway line. England lineout...a few rucks...Johnny drop kick.

Some teams need to learn from their mistakes. Aussies should have thought deja vue 2000 on that fateful RWC final night. Same spot, same ground, same bad clearance.....same result.

i remember watching this when i was a little kid...all my brothers and cousins glued onto the tv right to the end where lomu got the last minute try....i thought he was gonna hit the dead ball line...loved it

Damn I had a copy of it before i got my HD Media Player but deleted it to free up space on my computer :(

What ever happened to that Aussie commentator? Last i remember him doing a game was in 2004. Always enjoyed him.

Great match, watched that as a little kid. It was great because most of my heros played, Cullen, Lomu, Marshal, Umaga and Mehrtens. I screamed at the TV right until Jonah scored the final try. Magic.

Wasn't the start of the match brilliant though, the first 5 minutes! quickly brought back down to earth as well but lol

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Jul 23 2009, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What ever happened to that Aussie commentator? Last i remember him doing a game was in 2004. Always enjoyed him.[/b]
Yeah his name is Chris 'Buddha' Handy. I'm not 100% sure but from memory he was sacked. More entertaining then anyone on the channel 7 team now, I prefer Fox Sports.

I got the official tape of this as a birthday present or something still have it somewhere and watched it a good few times great match.

Latest posts